1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you Casual or Hardcore?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by TuxedoMask, Dec 19, 2013.

?

Which would you describe yourself as? (Pick 1)

1. Casual PvE Player (Some Raiding if you have time)

46.2%
  2. Casual PvP Player (Some Arena if you have time)

4.3%
  3. Hardcore PvE Player (Push HM Content)

23.7%
  4. Hardcore PvP (Push Ratings)

25.8%
  1. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Gamer is a generic term, raider is a specific term.

It's better to use generic terms because you get more arguments that way, amirite?
    ( not directed at previous post )

Edited -
    Destian and Livnthedream like this.
  2. Spracket

Spracket Cupcake-About-Town

You know, I actually don't mind using that quote from TotalBiscuit to define it. "A casual gamer is someone who schedules the game around their life, while a hardcore gamer schedules their life around the game."

Now, it's obviously not as black and white as this, but it definitely shows why "hardcore" gamers get worked up when games become too casual-oriented. You're not messing with their game; you're messing with their life.
    teh_ninjaneer and Livnthedream like this.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

As a source itself its questionable, when used as the tool its meant to be used as however its pretty fantastic. For example:
  4. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth
    The thing is, the poll clearly says Hardcore PvE player or Hardcore PvP player. It's meant to be specific so things like "what does that mean" don't happen.
    I didn't ask if you are a hardcore "gamer", I asked specifically what you do to avoid the confusion.
  5. Spracket

No, no no. That's not what I meant (or whoever you're responding to; I don't really know...). I meant that the poll has no option for both, and that's what kind of bothers me with MMOs in general today. The only game now where there's actually an open world with both PvP and PvE intermingled is EvE; people assume it has to be one or the other. And frankly, EvE is a bit too rich for my blood, but there's no middle-ground now. It's either complete hand-holding, keeping your peanut-butter out of my chocolate so as not to offend anybody (every MMORPG nowadays), or EvE. It's as if PvP outside of a battleground in an RPG focused on two warring factions is completely mind-boggling to developers now. "Aw man, you guys have been at war for over three centuries? Here, chase the ball around!"
    Sonntam and Destian like this.
  6. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

I'm sorry, I checked my Oxford dictionary and couldn't find the term "hardcore gamer". Perhaps you have a better source?
    Destian likes this.
  7. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

Webster is a lazy <REDACTED> and doesn't keep up with the trends anymore, either.

Also, the poll needs more options. It's possible that people raid more than "when they have time" but aren't pushing hardmode content.

And on the subject of PvP, I'd consider a player who basically does nothing but world PvP all the time (attacking enemy settlements, starting fights, etc.) to be far more of a "hardcore" PvPer than someone who only PvPs in a safe, balanced arena or BG.
  8. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Make your own thread then put your own poll up, for all you guys whining none of you have even put up your own thread. I'm not adding more options to my poll because there is no reason to, you can disagree, which is fine but attempting to convince me otherwise is a losing battle. Just go make your own thread and stop whining.
    It doesn't matter if you think Wpvp is more hardcore than a Arena player, Arenas match you against the same skill level (Ratings) you may go against people slightly higher or lower but the experience and skill will be closer than just running around the World and fighting people who quite possibly have never been in a organized PvP setting.
    Just saying what you said about WPVP being more hardore is, well, it's not worth saying anything else to you if you believe that. I'm sure you have never done very many arena now and I'm not going to rip on you for being misinformed but Arenas are how you measure skill.

Sorry but that statement you made about wpvp, I can't reply to you anymore.
  9. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

So the entire point of the thread was to see how many people agree with you? Really?
    Syn, Sonntam and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  10. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The entire point of the thread is to ask how people identify themselves. Really there is no "agreeing" here as the poll doesn't ask for you to agree with anything I say.
    The poll is meant to get people to pick what best identifies them. There is always one aspect of a game that people focus on more than another, even if they play different things for fun from time to time.
    For Example: A Raider who clears HM content may pvp from time to time but that persons focus is on raiding first and everything else is second. or A person who focuses on pushing rating in pvp may from time to time participate in raids but that's rare in their play.
  11. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

How about you make your poll better instead?

Seriously, it's not quite as bad a a Steven Colbert poll (like "George Bush: Great president or greatest president?"), but it's close.

You're forcing people into ultra casual or ultra hardcore, and there IS a gradient, here.

Two geared players can carry a 3rd in arenas in WoW. I've seen it happen ALL the time. An arena rating never tells the whole story.

If you want to argue about what "skill" means, then no, I'm not going to do that.

But in my book, a savvy PvPer who can think on the fly and quickly react and counter situations s/he didn't expect is more skilled than someone who knows exactly what to expect and could be carried.
  12. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The poll is working as intended. The real problem are folks like you who are sensitive to being called casual. Said it like 15x, being called casual isn't bad, it's what you are and there isn't anything wrong with that. I could make the same poll and replace "Casual and Hardcore" with other words and you guys would probably not have any of the same complaints i bet even though it's going to have all the same description and exactly the same option of picking 1 or the other. Your ego, or arrogance is so high you deny what type of player you are and at least judging by how sensitive some of you are, you are ashamed of it or at least don't even want to admit it in a poll, which is sad because it's not like the poll asks for your name, it's completely anonymous.

You can carry people in 3s? To what rating lol? 1600? maybe 1700, that's a joke for ratings. Comparing a 2.2k+-2.5k rating to a 1400-1600 bracket, there aren't any carries going on. There are reasons why the best pvp players play at a high rating and honestly I mean, wpvp is for fun and has no balance at all in it, it's literally the worst judge of skill in pvp and the devs of wow know this. Just look at how many threads or videos pop up from high rated well known pvpers about how stupid wpvp is. Especially now since the PvE gear is so much better than PvP gear. You could have the best PvE gear and never play any pvp at all and the gear advantage is so huge that you can 1-2 shot people in full pvp gear who know everything about pvp.

WoW devs even say: PvP is balanced around 3s.
  13. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

Dammit, my hypocrisy detector blew up. These things aren't cheap y'know. ;)
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  14. Spracket

OP you are completely missing the point. The poll is completely loaded. We can't admit what applies to us because nothing in that poll applies to us. For all you know, I just sit in the local inn and RP until my head explodes.
    Destian, Sonntam and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  15. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

being a hypocrite? considering I've been pretty consistent in my views and there are only a handful of people whining about a poll which tbh is a bit silly imo, where have I contradicted myself?
    If you don't like the poll then it's pretty simple
    A) Make your own
    B) Don't participate

Not asking for peoples social security number here, it's not a life defining moment and if folks want to whine about the term hardcore and casual, well, I can only see it as a ego problem they have and in some way want to be acknowledged as something they aren't and they know it. So I'm suppose to cater to them? I'll pass
  16. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

It's not loaded lol are you joking now?
    It's only "loaded" if you see the term "casual" as a negative which once again it's not, almost all the people that play an MMO are in fact casual.

The point I am seeing, is you guys are exactly what I listed previous, and I'm suppose to go out of my way to take into account your personal feelings on that term or be "pc" about it.

No, I will not do that because this is a Trivial poll about a video game. A Video game that I don't control or have any influence over, so why should I appease your egos? Just so you will quit whining?
    Whining about you aren't considered Hardcore or you are Considered Casual? That's pathetic

Nothing applies to you? arrogant much? So you don't do any pve content or pvp content you just roll a lv 1 then another lv 1?
    This poll isn't meant for you if that's the case
  17. Spracket

Not reading past the first two sentences: priceless. What I said had nothing to do with being casual or hardcore.
  18. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

I read them and addressed it.
    Loaded means that I am trying to trap you or trick you into admitting something. Now, where do I try and do that eh?
    What you said had everything to do with protecting your ego and that is the issue, not the poll
  19. Spracket

k.
  20. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I'be not voted anything as I would describe myself as semi hardcore. When I'm raiding, I'll do it seriously, but I'm not fan of the 5 days 7h-00h schedule of real hardcore guild.
    I'm kinda hardcore in the meta gaming part though, enjoying editing videos, writing blog entry, taking care of guild and communities, etc....
    I find it almost more fun than the game itself.