1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you Hardcore, Casual, or somwhere inbetween?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by shadowclasper, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Choose what kind of player you are, and how you feel about other types.

1. I'm hardcore (dislike casuals)

21 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. I'm hardcore (like casuals)

35 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. I'm hardcore (and don't care)

62 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. I'm casual (dislike hardcore players)

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. I'm casual (like hardcore players)

23 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. I'm casual (and don't care)

27 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. I'm neither (like casuals)

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. I'm neither (like hardcore)

20 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. I'm neither (dislike casuals)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. I'm neither (dislike hardcore)

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

EDIT: PEOPLE ASKED FOR DEFINITIONS OF WHAT IS HARDCORE AND CASUAL:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleaga...g-the-Difference-Between-Casual-and-Hardcore-
    Using this Article.
    So then. In one of the last little debates I started (and I apologize to you guys I annoy with bringing them up constantly, and thank you to the mods for not banning my ass), something bugged the hell out of me.

The reasoning behind the argument (which was a subscription model argument and thus I'm not going to get into) was that "casual players would flood the servers and ruin them."

I am really, really, really pained by this idea. It's hurtful to communities in general to think of an entire type of player as something that is "unwanted".

Especially when it's obvious that Wildstar is trying to reach out to BOTH hardcore and casual players. Not JUST to hardcore players.

Yes, hardcore players got their 40 man raids of uber difficulty and above.

But they've also said they're focusing their elder game updates on single player content. Single player content has always been the domain of the casual player, not the hardcore player. Sure, I'm sure they'll release more hardcore raids and even midcore content over time, but it sounds like the focus is going into the single player/casual story content.

That's just my take on it.

I also apologize for not including an option for people who don't consider themselves hardcore OR casual and don't care, there wasn't enough room sadly... ran out of possible responses. If you don't care, I guess you can just not vote and express that in the thread (and if the mods can slip in 1 additional poll option for 'I'm neither (and don't care)' I'd appreciate it.)

I just want to get to the bottom of this, why is it that people seem to hate casuals, or if it's just a vocal few giving me this image.
  2. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Dat poll.
  3. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Incoming:
    • I think I'm a bit of both, where is that option?
    • Define Hardcore and Casual
    • Where is the options to like both for neutral?
    • I'm a self-hating hardcore/casual, moar options!
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Exactely the same! I'm a bit of both and i like/dislike both :p kinda depends on the definition and the person.
    Mudfin and shadowclasper like this.
  5. shadowclasper

I hit the limit on options Soylent :S

edit:
    Added definitions, seeing if I can edit the poll at all.
  6. Zepherion

Zepherion Cupcake

I'm pretty casual, and I dislike "hardcore" players.

Being "hardcore" and "major league" in video game is really just as silly as it sounds.

If you want to play games professionally, become an athlete.
  7. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I'm casual, but I have no problem with the game providing stuff for the hardcore crowd. I have no problem wearing good blues, while all the hardcore raiders are all decked in purples.
  8. iiFrank

iiFrank Cupcake-About-Town

Agreed.
    shadowclasper likes this.
  9. shadowclasper

and as I said. It's not because I didn't want to put in those options. It's because the poll caps out at ten options... it won't let you add an 11th option.

edit: I should have just put it up as "choose multiples" and "display votes" so that I could have put it simply as

-I am hardcore
    -I am casual
    -I am neither
    -It's complicated.
    -I dislike hardcore
    -I dislike casual
    -I like hardcore
    -I like casual
    -Don't care.
    -It's complicated.

That way if you disliked or liked both :S and we'd have been able to get meaningful data out of it somehow.
  10. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Looks like my Facebook relationship status.
    Coblago, Aheadache and iiFrank like this.
  11. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Biggest annoyance in your post is that you make a conclusion that casuals are the solo players and hardcore players are the 40 man consumers. Stereotypes don't equal reality.

The majority of those solo players are players who play 40+ hours per week. That's not very casual.
    Tiberius, Bomoo and Mudfin like this.
  12. shadowclasper

Except it's true. Casuals consume FAR more solo content than raid content, where as the Hardcore players tend to focus on the raid content over the solo content.

It's not universal by any means. But it's a pretty accurate generalization.
  13. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

This is MY opinion!
    This is just o.0 Why compare apples with pears? What has gaming to do with sports?
    Computer gaming and sport games are totally different, or are you gonna say the same towards people who want to become proffesional in chess? It's a game aswell! Do they just need to stop and become athletes aswell?

Proffesional gaming is becomming more and more popular (E-sports etc.).

Also why does it sound silly? Some people are real achievers IRL and in-game, so they just want to clear that dungeon. Since it gives THEM the best feeling in doing so. But what do you consider hardcore anyway?

Some people earn quite some money with it, why would it be silly? Heck if i could win money with gaming (if i was that good), i would try to earn it aswell.

I'm sorry if i sound quite offensive but i can't see why you would call it silly without any reasoning behind it.
    So please state something so we can see YOUR reasoning behind this :up:
  14. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Are you saying casual is a player who plays 40+ hours a week?
  15. shadowclasper

I gave my definitions at the top of the thing.

Casuals consume content to enjoy the game.

Hardcore players consume content in order to progress through the game.

Hardcore players are usually the only ones who play massive raids, because they are the ones who go out of their way to grind those epics and blues, to get all the equipment, to nail down their rotation of DoTs and procs and heals and what have you, all to let them be a BETTER PLAYER so they can PROGRESS.

They do the dungeon for the equipment and the rewards. A Casual does the dungeon because he enjoys the dungeons.

Is there overlap? Certainly. Which is why I included the neither option.
    Lsya likes this.
  16. iiFrank

iiFrank Cupcake-About-Town

I find this to be a silly comment. Its like saying Esports are not as important because you're not an athlete.
  17. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

18. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I guess I'm mostly a casual player by those definitions. I look at is as only a game that helps me relax and get my mind off of things. I don't look at it as a serious, I must attend all meetings and raid things because, well. It's a game and I have other important things to see about every day. Like there are many nights where I may play a game, but have to go to work at a moments notice. I'll leave for work, but I won't be self centered enough to join something like a raid when I know I may not be able to stay to the end.

At the same time, I do like to go on raids. Though not always for the prize at the end, but for the experience of playing with a lot of people at once working to the same goal. I do find it a little annoying that some content requries singular devotion in order for me to experience it. I guess that's why I'm starting to dislike Guild Wars 2 as a lot of the new end game things seem focused to 'hardcore' players that I just don't have the time to be.

Sometimes I've noticed a division line where it basically becomes one of the 'hardcore' players simply not letting 'casual' players join the end game raid or content because they are under equipped. Guild Wars 2 seems to have a little of this, but it was really obvious in The Secret World where to be accept into the 'nightmare' instances by most groups you had to possess the equipment which ironically was mostly only available from the same nightmare instance. It was only made easier if you had close friends who would help you along until you had the equipment you needed.
  19. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

Im hardcore, I usually only play one mmo and when I play an mmo thats the only game I play. Which means quite a bit of time I dedicate to that game.
  20. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

I hate the terms hardcore and casual because they don't really mean much.

I suppose I am 'casual' in the sense that I do not have a lot of time to play every day.
    I am 'hardcore' in the sense that I generally play MMOs for raiding content and I enjoy significant challenges.

I didn't vote because that poll is totally out of control.