1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you Hardcore, Casual, or somwhere inbetween?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by shadowclasper, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Choose what kind of player you are, and how you feel about other types.

1. I'm hardcore (dislike casuals)

21 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. I'm hardcore (like casuals)

35 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. I'm hardcore (and don't care)

62 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. I'm casual (dislike hardcore players)

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. I'm casual (like hardcore players)

23 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. I'm casual (and don't care)

27 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. I'm neither (like casuals)

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. I'm neither (like hardcore)

20 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. I'm neither (dislike casuals)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. I'm neither (dislike hardcore)

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

It's interesting to read the responses to this thread. I find these definitions to be very nebulous and apply in very limited situations. I do tend to agree with Lethality's sentiment. The difference between Hardcore and Casual comes down to the difference between "want to" and "have to".

I tend to do some pretty hard core things, I'll take a week off of work for an MMO launch, I'll drop far too much money to fly to a convention to shake hands with the development team. I'll play 4-5 hours a night, sometimes 10-18 hours straight on a weekend. Consume all media available on the game and give it prime real estate in my brain.

Then I'll do some very casual things. Stop playing for a week with no notice. Level 5 alts to mid level over some period of time instead of focusing on end game content. Run in circles in town for 3 hours while talking in Vent with my friends.

I don't think I could define myself exactly, but in the end I hope I stay more in the "want to" side of things while occasionally treading into "have to" territory.

On the other topic floating out there - I make a pretty good living twiddling on a keyboard all day. I'm not gaming, but the only difference is that it isn't fun.
    FluidD likes this.
  2. sheep

sheep New Cupcake

I, personally, play to win, but also have that casual mentality. Let me explain that quickly. For raids and organized PvP I stay fully focused and I'm on top of my game. When I do stuff on my own, usually during afternoons, I just like to explore and quest, do whatever, taking it slow... Unless I have to grind to stay competitive. I voted for the first option, though. Simple reasoning - I DON'T LIKE having casuals in my raid. ;P
  3. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Okay, can you PLEASE break that down for us? I don't want to sound offensive or offended or any other form of "off" but the entire purpose behind me making this thread was to figure out "Why is this? And why do so many people seem to think that these are the 'riff raff' that need to be kept out of MMOs"

edit: I don't mean a MAJORITY of people do, but (and this is just my opinion mind you) there seems to be a fairly large school of thought in MMO communities that Casuals are some kind of plague that needs to be driven from the genre or at the very least kept out of that individual's favorite game.
  4. sheep

sheep New Cupcake

I specifically pointed out raids - place where team effort is required to kill bosses. When I do my best, I also expect same attitude from other equally skilled raiders, so we can progress faster. But you have plenty of variety in this field. You have guilds that strive to be no1, semi-hardcore guilds and finally casual ones. I prefer first two options, that's why I would rather not group with people who don't put enough time to prepare themselves, pracitce rotations, read guides, farm rep, etc. It's just the way I see it. Although from my previous experiences I know it's just a wishful thinking, you always end up carring some people. There are exceptions of this rule obviously, but happen rarely and it's the case of really hardcore, top-end guilds, like for example Method in WoW or Voodoo in RIFT. I had a time in my previous MMO when I stopped caring and basically went kinda casual. I only put maybe 30% of my skill and effort into raids and my guild was at least on a semi-hardcore level. I decided not to carry on that way and quit. Casuals as players are completly fine. I didn't refer to them as a general group/demographic. As I said, I like to be casual myself, sometimes even in raids, but that's mostly when I'm still learning the game, otherwise I go at least semi-hardcore. Kinda chaotic reply, but I hope it cleared things out for you.
  5. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

^This. I think I am "Hardcore," Cause when mmos come out I stop working/going to school/eating/sleeping/functioning for 2-3 days and become a robot.
  6. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

This is a tough question for me to answer as there are so many factors, are people really always only hardcore or casual? To me I go back and forth depending on real life.
  7. Zepherion

Zepherion Cupcake

While this is true, the amount of effort that goes into mastering a controller is considerably less than the effort it takes to do any actual kind of "real" sport/talent.
  8. Tokyomurai

Tokyomurai Cupcake

It's the best way to be. I can't help it, i'd be screwed if I had responsibility.
  9. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

As a teacher, this sentence really struck me as a horrid misconception. There is so much more surrounding someone's apparent "inability" to learn something than just "genetics". Scientific studies examining twins along with aptitude and talent for various skills (e.g. math, music, art, etc) can sometimes find familial correlations, but they fail to account for the influences of parenting, diet, social and socioeconomic environments, educational history, and more.

Someone struggling with, to use your example, math could very well become an excellent physicist or economist. It's entirely possible that they are struggling because of outside pressures or simply not getting the instruction that they need in the manner they need it.
    shadowclasper and Yinello like this.
  10. Gjsk

Gjsk New Cupcake

I wish there was an "I'm neither and don't care" option. I tend to flip-flop between the two definitions, so I don't directly fill the quota for either, but I also don't really mind which way another person spends his, or her, free time.
  11. Jech

Jech New Cupcake

This is a hard question. I guess I want to be hardcore but don't know if I could still consider myself such. Hardcore is the approach I like to take to a game, but with marriage and having a real job (not like the good ol college days) I have to find out if I can still hold up a hardcore status with games. Haven't been on the MMO scene for quite some time now.
    Luckily though, my wife also plays games, a plus toward really being able to delve into the game.
  12. Vuxxy

Vuxxy Cupcake

I'm hardcore (and don't care)

I do have one exception to my cast. If the casuals demand easier content and the developers cater to it, then I don't like them (the casuals). ^_^
  13. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Haha guess I won't be voting. Sure did try to give us a lot of options though! People I play with will probably say I'm hardcore to a certain extent and category. For example hardcore explorer in GW2, 100% map was the first goal, master and guide of jumping puzzles, and collecting a bunch of achievements in game.
  14. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Well when I don't have school I'm as hardcore as I can get lol
    But I do play MMOs to be better then the other side. I want to be apart of a guild/faction that wants to beat the other guilds and factions in the game in what ever event they have (warplots, arena , pvp, raids,etc) I try to level as fast a possible to be with the best guilds.
    Mostly even if you go into a game solo(like I seem to all the time) if you can keep up leveling wise with the main group you will get picked up into a good active guild.
    I enjoy pvp and want to be the best I can be at it. I don't hate people who don't feel the same way but I do hate in a faction vs faction setting having people not try to win like the "hardcore" people during an event.
  15. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

interesting fact. Even Einstein had people (specifically his 1st wife) check his math.
  16. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure what the official definition of hardcore is or if it's ever going to truly be defined in a meaningful way to cover everyone that games.

My experience with Warcraft was that I spent a lot of time playing the various aspects of the game when they were fun for me, often for quite a large portion of my free time. I enjoyed the PvP part of Warcraft during Vanilla and part of Burning Crusade until Arena came in and changed that aspect of the game. Early World PvP in Vanilla was unbelievably fun for some reason that I've never fully been able to quantify. I and my group mates did it for the fun of it, and played quite a bit. Battlegrounds were ok. I always preferred old school day long Alterac Valley matches. They were just fun to play, and I think most folks were really engaged with it. I never got into the Arena aspect of Warcraft. MMOs just aren't great for that kind of PvP in my opinion. Blizzard decided that they would focus on that aspect of the game for various reasons, and people only did battlegrounds to farm honor after a point, crossfaction, etc. a million other things where PvP just wasn't fun anymore. So I stopped playing that aspect of the game. Something happened and it just wasn't fun unless I was with a group of folks that I knew well, even though I used to spend a ton of time on it and look forward to logging in to do that aspect of the game.

I always enjoyed the raiding aspect of the game, and was in a guild that did server firsts for years. I really didn't care about the gear or anything, that was a means to be able to do group content with a great group of people and challenge our coordination. Honestly, most of Warcraft was very easy outside of the harder raids, so it just wasn't that compelling. I had best in slot gear and server first achievements, yet played maybe 12 hours per week to do all this at one point as the rest of the game stopped being fun so I stopped doing it. Eventually the next expansion rolled around and the thought of leveling again through easy stuff caused me to retire from the game. It wasn't worth it to get to the last fun part of the game for me, which was pushing the cutting edge.

I'm honestly not sure if that makes me hardcore or casual. I guess I'm hardcore if it's fun, but way less than casual if it's not.
  17. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I thought my average of 6-8 hours/day was too much...until I saw many people playing regularly for 48 hours.
  18. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I've always been hardcore. Used to dislike the casuals, and thought our two groups just didn't mesh. Team Legacy's shown me different though. Anyone, no matter how much time they have free, can be a valuable member of a team as long as they're willing to do their best and always be striving for improvement.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  19. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

True Word!
  20. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I'm somewhere in the middle but more casual than hardcore. I chose casual (don't care). I don't like the terms myself, because the definitions change depending upon whom we ask. I also have no ill feelings toward one group or the other. Games are supposed to be fun. Play the style that you have fun with.

But, I really like the way Shadowclasper defines them. It's simple and actually applies to me.

I play to enjoy the content. I don't have to have the best stuff (but I like getting it just as much as anyone).

I played pretty hardcore years ago and have become more relaxed over time. I like the big raid battles or PVP battles if I'm in the mood for it, but I also find them tiring to do over and over again.

This is what I like about what I see in WS. It appears to designed so that there is fun for everyone.