1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you Hardcore, Casual, or somwhere inbetween?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by shadowclasper, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Choose what kind of player you are, and how you feel about other types.

1. I'm hardcore (dislike casuals)

21 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. I'm hardcore (like casuals)

35 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. I'm hardcore (and don't care)

62 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. I'm casual (dislike hardcore players)

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. I'm casual (like hardcore players)

23 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. I'm casual (and don't care)

27 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. I'm neither (like casuals)

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. I'm neither (like hardcore)

20 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. I'm neither (dislike casuals)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. I'm neither (dislike hardcore)

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

I just think everyone has there own definition of hardcore and causal and there is no use trying to define them.

To me a Hardcore gamer is like my roommate. Every single ounce of free time is playing WoW. He's running raid with guildies, or doing Pugs. He's always getting his arena cap when the day when the reset is. Has multiple arena teams. He constantly PvP's in his free time. He know every in and out of the game and is always reading up on it. To me that's what a hardcore player is.

A causal (again to me) is some one who flirts with the game. plays here and there doesn't have the time to get to cap, and frankly doesn't want to put in the time. They have other important things to do then to play the game and probably have others they're playing but they're not putting time in it. It's like the parent who bought Wii fit and use it randomly.

Everyone else is in between to me. They might have a little of both traits but for the most part are average gamers. They play infrequently, and go hard at times light at others. I think this is where most of us fall. I believe Hardcore and Causals are just extreme of gamers (the very vocal minority).

TL;DR

We all have our own definitions for Hardcore and causal gamers. Mine are Hardcore are OCD, Causals are the "that's neat. Moving along" crowd. Both extreme minorities of average gamers which most of us are.
  2. Ariston

Ariston New Cupcake

Thanks for the shout out.

Voodoo is prepping for Wildstar as we speak.

Ariston of Voodoo
    (New Website Under Construction/To be Added to Mailing List: voodooguild@yahoo.com)
  3. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I consider myself reasonably hardcore in time spent (though certainly not to the highest levels), but fairly casual as to progress and goals and difficulty level and all that. I also would like the game to be "casual friendly" because I may not always have the time to be as hardcore as I might like. I definitely am opposed to players who want everything to be very hard, and time consuming, and punishing, and to enforce that mode on everyone whether they like it or not.
    Bomoo likes this.
  4. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

We probably wouldn't get along.
    tubthumper likes this.
  5. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with this statement.

I class myself as a Hardcore player and therefore I want content to be challenging, even for the hardcore group. That just makes that reward that much rewarding. If things can be complete in an hour and aren't punishing then you just move on and forget about them 2 hours later. I want content to be very hard and take a LONG time to kill making it that much more amazing.

Saying that, I completely respect casual gameplay but I don't like when casuals try to control the end-game which should, typically, be there for the hardcore raiders. I don't know, I have strong views. I could type a post on this for hours. :)
  6. Flunk

Flunk New Cupcake

Somewhat in between.
    I used to raid 4 times a week.
    But I just havent time to that any more.

So casual i would say.
  7. Antilles

Antilles New Cupcake

Honestly, it depends on the content and the group of people I am with. I was a pretty hardcore raider in WoW around the Wrath time, but I think it was because our guild (which was a tight knit group of friends) had time for it. Now that most of them cannot sit in front of a computer for that long now, getting a fun raid group together is harder. So I would say I am casual.

I have been looking for a game to get back into the PVE content clearing I used to do. So far WildStar has my attention on this out of all the games now.
  8. cirk

cirk Cupcake

"Self-defeating personality disorder: Chooses situations that lead to disappointment, failure, or mistreatment even when better options are clearly available." To much of an masochist to enjoy my free time.
  9. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

I definitely identify with a game being an experience, the way that article defines a casual player. I will only choose to do content that creates an enjoyable experience for me. Sometimes that content is difficult and the challenge is exhilarating. Sometimes it's easy. But I will avoid any content that I find tedious or boring, because I already experience plenty of tedium and boredom I have no choice about. Achievement doesn't compel me to complete boring, tedious or frustrating content, either. Achievement in the game means nothing to me if I didn't enjoy the experience leading up to it.

I don't dislike hardcore players, except for the ones who are so stuck up their own behinds they aren't willing to give anyone else the time of day. But that's a personality problem and that person would be awful whether they were hardcore or casual. I do find hardcore gamers to be a very interesting, because the sheer time requirements for hardcore content is just amazing. That is some dedication right there. And raiders I understand even less, which makes them even more fascinating. I can't relate to their way of thinking. Granted, all my knowledge is second hand. I've never been on a raid, and nobody I've ever talked to who has been on a raid has ever had anything good to say about the raid itself; only the feeling they had when they finally got their gear felt good. Someone who is willing to do something over and over again that bores or frustrates them, that generates drama and jealousy in them and the people they're doing it with, who will tell their friends they "can't" do that fun thing with them because they have to raid tonight... all for the sake of gear is fascinating to me. I can't wrap my head around it. So I think hardcore players, and raiders in particular, are kind of an intriguing mystery. I wish I had a scanbot in real life so that I could use it on them.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I blend the hardcore/casual playstyles together. Guess that makes me semi-hardcore.

No matter what I get into, if I enjoy it, I become fiercely competitive in that field. It's just how I am but I love pushing myself, surpassing others and overcoming monstrous obstacles. That's how I roll. However, since these kinds of games have so many facets to them, I've never become a top player partially because of my interest in roleplaying which has often forced me to split my game time.

However, at the very least I plan to be a server first raider on an RP or RP-PvP server.
  11. Coblago

Coblago New Cupcake

I have no idea if I'm casual or hardcore. I usually dedicate all my gaming time (30-50 hours a week) to one game at a time, yet it takes me forever to hit level cap. Why? I have to experience it all.

-Alts, alts, alts. I'll try out every single class/race that appeals to me. Try my hardest to pick one. Usually end up picking a few and level them simultaneously.
    -Level up mainly by solo. I go slow, explore around, read quest text, experiment with my abilities, etc.
    -Try out the crafting system, go run around in an area I have no business being in (enemy or too high level)
    -Start planning what I want to be when I grow up (healer, dps, tank)
    -Alt-tab out to look for pictures of gear models. =) [hey, I'm a girl, and looking cool is important!]

I guess the amount of time I put in a game would classify me as hardcore, but my actual playstyle would definitely be classified as casual.
  12. dennisjeb

dennisjeb New Cupcake

please make this game hardcore playable and super hard to play like vanilla wow PLEEEZZZ *fingerscrossed* i completely lost my hope in the mmorpg genre if Wildstar doesn't pull it off
  13. Cruxisinhibitor

Cruxisinhibitor New Cupcake

I consider myself more of a hardcore player, but i have differing definitions for both "casual" and "hardcore". I was a GW1 PvP nut for a good 6 years while waiting for GW2 to come out so if anyone is familiar with how the systems in the first game changed into the second, i think that's a good place to start explaining my definitions.

I don't like when developers pander to the casual player because i think games should be designed with challenge and depth especially in the MMO genre. GW1 combat, while not a true MMO, is a prime example of well designed gameplay. Let's face it, if what im going to be doing in a game the majority of the time is combat, try not to make it braindead and the classes homogenized. It had depth, challenge, amazing customization, but also a steep learning curve.

I believe Gaffney is onto something when he says Carbine wants to create a "spectrum" for players to identify with and a game that is essentially like a sausage machine. You may go in a noob, but you might be transformed into a more voracious, hardcore-like player. I believe games should progress in difficulty and players should adapt. I don't think developers should accept that some people consider it "okay" and "fine by me" to play at the same level of content indefinitely. MMOs should support a wide spectrum of playstyles and player mentalities with the ultimate goal being the experience of progression to assimilate everyone into a community. People should not be satisfied with no challenge, stagnant level of content for their whole experience. The game should make people want to aspire, not sit in a shell and do what they're accustomed to.

"Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and i'll show you a failure."

So i am a hardcore player, but i have a job and college that takes up a lot of time as well. I'm an industry enthusiast and i love games, i love every piece, every bit of the experience. What i don't like is when amazingly engaging, deep, and challenging game franchises get dumbed down for a casual demographic that "seems" (generalizing an industry marketing theme here) to want all-too-accessible rewards and content, contrived cash shop garbage, and very liberal, free-form gameplay systems that homogenize the challenge, need for skill, and cooperation an MMO game should make you experience.
  14. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

I'm hardcore, and don't care about casuals. The general desire to play casually is not a bad thing, the issue arises when those same casual people demand an equitable experience with hardcore types, with less effort.

I prefer accessibility for those who wish to play casually. Allow easy access to the majority of the game experience, but allow players who like to challenge themselves with the promise of mighty rewards do so as well.
  15. Cruel

Cruel New Cupcake

I consider myself a hardcore player although I don't mind filthy casuals so long as they do not get into my way.
  16. Honour

Honour Cupcake

I'll never be somebody that goes to extreme lengths to min/max, but I do enjoy challenging content and generally dislike stuff that panders to people excessively unless it's a genuinely helpful system.
  17. Dex Charisma

Dex Charisma Cupcake

I'm hardcore. 3 days per week. :p

I'd hate to think that's a problem, but apparently jobs are bad juju to some.
  18. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

I enjoy immersion in the game world along with a moderate investment in learning game systems and improving my skill set, and find excessive obsession with metagaming and min/maxing as irritating as a complete failure of a player to invest any effort in learning systems or trying to improve. Where does that put me, mister scientist?
  19. Torguish

Torguish Cupcake

In between.

I will raid as much as possible, as high as possible with my schedule. Since you know... family, work, pets, hobbies.. :(

But if i get free time, i tend to rush everything and get to max level as fast as possible to i can focus on getting some uber leet ebins for my main character.
  20. Dex Charisma

Dex Charisma Cupcake

Reasonable human?
    Xlugon Pyro and Bomoo like this.