1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you Hardcore, Casual, or somwhere inbetween?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by shadowclasper, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Choose what kind of player you are, and how you feel about other types.

1. I'm hardcore (dislike casuals)

21 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. I'm hardcore (like casuals)

35 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. I'm hardcore (and don't care)

62 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. I'm casual (dislike hardcore players)

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. I'm casual (like hardcore players)

23 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. I'm casual (and don't care)

27 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. I'm neither (like casuals)

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. I'm neither (like hardcore)

20 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. I'm neither (dislike casuals)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. I'm neither (dislike hardcore)

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Xander de Rooy

Xander de Rooy New Cupcake

Reading up on this thread I laughed how ppl tend to put themselves into boxes, im this im that im somewhere in between. As for myself, I'll prob be the guy that's everything and nothing. Used to raid hardcore in wow (i define hardcore as 5+ raids a week), wont ever do this again though waste of time and it saps most of the joy away, that you have playing the game. I'd rather enjoy Wildstar than to raid hardcore.
  2. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

Can't be; no such thing on the internet.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  3. WANDERER

WANDERER New Cupcake

My main hardcore trait is being a completionist, but over time. I will attempt everything a game has to offer and try to see what it's all like, even if I fail a lot. I am casual in that I see no reason in rushing through content. No reason to make sure I hit lvl cap as soon as possible or unlock everything before others. I can pace myself.
    Sabre070 likes this.
  4. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Casual players reach endgame too, the endgame needs to be for everyone.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  5. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

Spot on. I raid. You could easily say I raid A LOT. Anyone who plays an MMO will agree that there is a ton of downtime for a raider. Heck, there's downtime for people leveling. Many people spend two days in a capitol city doing nothing but crafting. They could see a path to get 2 levels, but instead climb a mountain for 30 minutes just for the heck of it. Raiders do tons of solo content because of this downtime.

It's not even a "squares are rectangles but rectangles aren't always squares" thing. There are plenty of people who do the 'casual only' type activites but consider themselves hardcore, even if they're not the greatest.

IMO the only thing separating casual from hardcore is mentality. It's not what you accomplish, how long you play, but how you act and treat others.
  6. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

I'm neither and I'm indifferent to what other people are as long as they don't act like a dick about it. I play pretty much all day everyday, but I don't aim to be 'the best' in games and I prefer smaller guilds with a friendly atmosphere and feel uncomfortable in big guilds with rules and constant pressure to get everyone to top level and geared to max. But I still like to raid, PvP and generally do everything there is in the game.

I do however dislike elitist players who look down on others and act rude towards everyone who isn't as 'pro' as they are. These types of players almost always classify themselves as "hardcore". But that does not mean all "hardcore" players are like that. The whole concept of "casual" and "hardcore" is a bit silly, because there are far more than two types of gamers.
    Xlugon Pyro and Tiberius like this.
  7. Tiberius

Definitely a different mentality, I agree. I've been put off by so many fellow raiders because they just act like dicks to the less geared or under-performing, and I've even left a raiding guild because of it.

There are two interesting categories of it: Those whom others deem hardcore and those who deem themselves hardcore. Quite often, but by no means always, the first group is praised while the second reviled because of elitist attitudes.

For any example ever just look at Callfield Battleduty.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

None of these categories really fit me well but I chose hardcore that likes casuals. The biggest problem in our world is that we can't balance tolerance and acceptance properly. This translates into MMOs where you have those who totally berate those who aren't as well-informed or not as game-savvy or just have a different gaming philosophy that caters to their own personal entertainment. The opposite also occurs where mediocrity is just totally accepted and people ignore the fact that everything around them is falling apart because they don't set standards for people to aspire to reach.

People are not completely independent so expecting zero handholding in a game or RL is simply unreasonable. Even the most independant among us (I'm one of the more independent types myself) still rely on other people to help make us better. It's the mixed experiences that we all have that contribute, should we allow it, to people creating better lives for themselves. If you want people to be better players, b****ing at them won't do any good. Encourage them to improve themselves, but also help them out because believe it or not, game mechanics are pretty complicated when you get down to it and someone not used to such an environment will become lost and discouraged without help.

I was only able to become a competitive raider on my server because I found guides that broke everything down into understandable steps and the hows and whys were illustrated in simple terms. X stat = dps boost, etc. This is how people become better. After enough of this, people can begin using tools to parse their performance and calculate the best gear setup for maximum performance. This ultimately leads to where people become theorycrafters and join the community of class experts who constantly try to discern the best performance their class/spec can achieve. However, none of this can happen unless people are eased into it or are naturally curious about these things themselves.

Players would do best to not judge others by their experiences, but instead take a step back, look at things objectively, and be the supporting force that makes the gaming community as a whole a better place. Being a good player takes time, and whether you spend a lot or a little time in a game honestly shouldn't really matter. If you don't like other players simply for not being as good as you are, then you probably need an attitude change, and not just when you're playing games.
    SiegaPlays and Tiberius like this.
  9. Tiberius

Guides are only half of it. Without the positive community you mentioned, when I prepped for raiding I wouldn't have gotten past heroic dungeons. I'd leveled to max (85) as a feral druid, so when I switched to resto I had no clue what healing spells did what. Figured that out fast enough, but my heals were still too low. Instead of spam reporting me it was soon pointed out that I did not have the most crucial spell on my toolbar at all (nourish).

It was a 'noob' mistake and I was atrocious at first, but soon I was downing heroic raids with the best of them.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I've heard lots of tales about druid healing myself. I've only ever healed as a shaman though and I'll admit that once I understood how to manage my resources and how to gear, healing was relatively simple. I never got too good at it but then again I always mained as DPS in raids.

I agree though. Constructive criticism and feedback are important to improve the playerbase. Bashing and hating on "casuals" is about the worst thing you can do to make players better. I don't even understand why you'd want to do that unless you have some sort of irrational hatred of them (which is probably the case with the elitist-types). I would rather point someone in the right direction and give them positive criticism rather than tear them down. It's a small difference that changes you from a cyberbully to an online friend.
  11. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

I'm casual as <REDACTED>. Ain't nobody got time for hardcore gaming in addition to all your other hobbies, full time work, dating, bro-time, etc.
    Tiberius likes this.
  12. Tiberius

[​IMG]
  13. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

When it comes to raids and dungeons, gear progression and the like- I am a hardcore player that devotes hours to getting that pixel of increase... Saying that though I do respect casual players and enjoy casual fun and relaxing. I like family style guilds but, when it comes to raids and dungeons I expect to get stuff done and clear it in good time. If you mix the two areas saying that "a raid is fun even if we don't beat it" then you're not my type. To me- when you raid you don't have fun wiping you don't have fun experiencing it. It is only fun when you beat the dungeon and raid and progress further.
    Even PvP and PvE I've always have an epeen issue and I realize this but, when it comes to just casual play and respect I don't let my epeen run rampant. If you're not some hardcore junkie then I can respect that. If you're only online to slay that level 3 mob at max level and you find it fun then power to you. The second you step into my raid though you better be ready to commit and bring the skills, equipment, and knowledge necessary. There is no half-<expletive> it.
    Xlugon Pyro and Tiberius like this.
  14. Rickjm

Rickjm New Cupcake

I would classify myself as a "serious" casual. I love soloing. I love grouping.
    I love raiding and being serious about your class, what you bring and AARs.

But I don't care who gets the gear, and I don't care to be competitive or on a leaderboard.
    Play your class the best you can and have fun. If your group wipes a lot or if I find myself
    carrying someone or someone is carrying me, NP. It all comes out in the AAR :)

What's the fuss?
    Sabre070, WANDERER and Tiberius like this.