1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you player model perfectionist ?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Chomag, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I'm appalled of seeing visual glitches on my character. Ex: hair clipping through helps, arms clipping through shoulder armor, weapon clipping through various limbs, etc.

In wow I really had only 2 options for viable player models: human male and night elf female. All the other character models on Alliance had issues, the biggest being the worgen female, a walking pile of glitches. Dwarves were ugly, human females had a wierd way of holding 2h weapons during the Ready animation and their closed hands were smaller than the weapon's hilt and looking like sinking their hands into the hilt. Draenei females had their tails clipping through the weapon's blade on their backs, etc etc.

Also, all my characters have short hairs, where applicable, because game devs have really big issues with hair and helms, or hair clipping through the upper parts of the armors.

Most people aren't bothered by this but I really hate it. Up to the point where I don't play a race even though I like its looks just because it has some bizarre glitch.

Also, let me guess, the drakken warriors will have their blade on their backs clipping through their tails.
    Zwipe and ruff_ethereal like this.
  2. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I try to hide that picky side of me, but I do notice things like: weapon going through cloak, or when standing on a slope, your foot goes through the floor. I see them and they kill a small part of the game, but it's nothing game breaking in the end. One thing I must mention though is GW2, they did and impressive job with that. When you stand on stairs you can see your feet being placed properly on the steps and not have your whole character hovering over the cheap design trick where the stairs are just a straight slope and the steps are just a skin to mask the straight line slope.
    Psistorm likes this.
  3. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not this type, but I know people who are. They make a character they love, notice a costume piece clipping through their model or something, and have to reroll. It can bother me to some degree, but usually not this much (though it depends on the severity of the glitch).

Right now the thing I'd noticed is that the 'chin fins' on the Mechari males sometimes clipped into their collars, which certainly bugs me in the character creator, though I probably wouldn't see it much in game. We'll see if it's something that gets worked on I guess.
  4. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

I'm gonna roll Human, so I doubt I'll have much of this problem BUT I like how WS is handling this. By limiting physical body customization, we'll have more room for armor/clothing customization and less room for glitching out.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;-)
  6. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

I don't mind clipping as long as it's not on pivotal end game pieces of gear (raiding-pvp gear)

I can deal with it on leveling gear that I'm going to replace quickly.
  7. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

I hate clipping. Drives me crazy that literally every long hair-style for the Norns in GW2 clips into almost every piece of chest armour. Ugh... my beautiful hair..

Clipping also drove me crazy in Lotro: here I am, a Warden, an awesome warrior armed with spear and javelin, and they're constantly clipping into my shield. -.-

Like, why design an entire class or race with clipping issues? Don't devs test these things? :p
  8. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Depends. Small things aren't that bad, but I do mind it on some things. I.E A cloak clipping a little through the sword on my back which almost reaches the ground.

Btw, ever played a Tauren or Human female with Armageddon in WoW? The weapon's so huge it clips through the ground x,D
  9. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

I also find clipping to be annoying but it is not really something that I focus a lot of attention on and it happens in every game so I guess I am just used to it now.
  10. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I don't mind a little clipping, but I dislike extensive amounts of it. :p Like if half of a female character's long hair is hidden because of something on her back. :p

I just kinda wish that long hair was more than just a single 'plane' forming a shield-shape around the back of a female character's head. :p There's this huge empty space inbetween the back of her head and where her hair is that I have OCD about knowing it's there. :p

Unfortunately, it looks as though that occurs a little in Wildstar as well, but not to a huge extent; and there are other hairstyles for me to choose - I doubt that what we saw at PAX are all the hairstyles available. :p

Hi, I'm InnocentCivilian, I use the ':p' smiley a lot.
  11. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

The night elf female was the best model IMO. It just looked like all the armor was created to fit that model. They moved well and looked pretty good.
  12. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

When I start equipping my characters for appearance, I avoid armor that touches or clips. I also hunt the game world for a unique armor look per character (transmutes or whatever option allows you to re-skin). So ya, pretty sure I'm up there in the model perfectionist. The one exception are short races, because you can't really see anything on them anyways.
  13. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I can tolerate some clipping, over sized weapons, crazy big hair, crazy complex armor etc... but clipping on like basic stuff can drive me a little crazy.

What I tend to pay more attention to when it comes to character models is:

- Walk cycle

The speed at which your character moves and the motion of the characters legs are totally unrelated from a game engine standpoint. Therefore good character animators will work very hard to make sure that the animations synch up with the movement speed, regardless of if you are sprinting, under some kind of speed buff, walking backwards etc... When this is poorly done what you get is "skating" which is where the character's feet slide across the ground because the animation isn't synched up with the movement speed, it's really jarring to watch.

- Personality of animations

Each playable race and the genders of that race have different animations for combat, talking, gathering, etc... and they should have some personality to them. Often small exaggerations in the movement go a long way towards making that character visually interesting. In WoW it was always pretty neat that night elves did a flip on every 3rd or 4th jump, it adds character.

- Sense of mass

Character animations need weight to them otherwise they don't look right at all. 2 handed swords are heavy things, any attack animation with a 2 handed sword should look like the character is taking the mass of the sword into account when swinging.

- Popping

This happens when the animation being executed breaks the rig, causing it to "pop". What you get is a sudden jerking motion during the animation and it looks AWFUL. It happens more often than you would expect.

- Uncanny valley

This is sort of a culmination of the above things, when you get enough stuff wrong with character models and their animations they end up feeling like some sort of creepy doll that just feels "off".
  14. mge_br

mge_br Cupcake

Only if there is a lot of them , one big glith doesnt bother me ......several small ones do, but still not to the point of making me change races/classes/or weapon
  15. Forge Darksteel

Forge Darksteel Cupcake

Jynetik makes some very well-reasoned points. I am not terrible concerned with clipping/popping but it does distract from the game for me. From what I've seen of this game's graphics engines, I'm expecting to not have a lot of that, but until it's on my screen in front of me during beta (oh yes, I better get a beta invite!) it's hard to judge. :down:

It would be really nifty to have many little details available on your model - awards, trinkets, cloak, goggles, cigar, etc. Throw in fun emotes, dance animations and unique race features and you will have a very robust amount of potential for role-playing.
  16. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Um, everything Jynetik said! (゜◇゜) :up:

With MMOs, it's almost impossible to not have clipping issues. With all the different types of armor and combinations of armor (not to mention the way they each animate and move in conjunction with how the character moves), along with the weapons and different races/body types, it's just insane to expect a developer to be able to fit each and every thing together perfectly. It's just not going to happen. Yeah, it'd be great if they could somehow make that a reality, but you can't go into an MMO and have these high graphical expectations that you normally would for a console game.
  17. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I find clipping on character models inexcusable...it's just sloppy work. GW2 is a prime example of it. Unless you're wielding a massive flashy sword, you may as well run around with paper daggers and fold them in your pocket once out of combat. Weapons in most part are hidden under long cloaks occasionally poking through at various lengths, some bows/shortbows are engraved into your back, daggers go through your thighs... Ah, you can't preview shields on classes that don't wield them....well you can, they are parallel to the floor....how did they manage to achieve that, beats me.

That is one of the reason I do not like posture sliders in games - they seems to create massive issues for the designers, and i'd rather every race had a fixed high quality design that devs can relate to when sorting other graphical bits out, and not restore to hoping everything will turn out fine, cos it rarely is the case :p

Any sort of quality control seems to be a long forgotten term across all businesses, guess partly because we do keep on paying for unfinished products ;) We shouldn't even be discussing the possibility of something like that occuring in a new game, it should be unaaceptable. Hopeful about Wildstar ever since i read we won't be able to sit in chairs due to clipping. Yay for someone actually caring :)
  18. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

You really can't be a perfectionist. The OP pretty much stated as much at the beginning. You can either get your ideal character design and deal with any glitches that occur as a result, or you can minimize glitches and clipping with a model you're not happy with. The question is really where you fall on the spectrum.

Me, I'll deal with clipping. Cloaks looked silly on draenei, so I turn mine off. Anything in GW2 is going to armor-clip, so I might as well make what I want. There's a certain point where you say "it's a game" and roll with it.
  19. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I think the only true way to avoid clipping entirely in MMOs (without having a massive development team devoted to only working on glitches and remodeling gear to fit each type of body and gear-matching scenario) is to only have a very small amount of different playable races and to not allow character customization at all or the adjustment of body types so that all weapons and armor can be made specifically for that one type of exact build. I personally would not be willing to sacrifice my character's individuality though in order to just avoid some clipping.
  20. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

I wish I didn't care about player models, but I do, I obsess over them!

Probably because I spend so much time staring at the character model, it's hard not to find things that bother me. Generally I find a model that I really like when standing still, looks good in armor, but then dislike the animations. Or I find a model that has awesome animations, but I'm not into the overall concept of the race.

I can deal with a little clipping, so long as it's not too much.

I have issues with most player model's feet, either too big or too small, and arms not moving properly with body, sometimes they just seem to hang there like noodles. Also hands not gripping weapon, when weapon just looks pasted on.

Then there is large models moving slow to compensate for their large size, when they look like they are running impossibly slow. I realize it's a hard issue to handle but sometimes it just looks sluggish.

Another bothersome thing is bouncy models, the run animations that make the models look weightless.

I also tend to roll short haired characters (or even bald) to do away with bad hair textures.

But when I find a character model that I like, I stick with them for the long-haul.