1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you player model perfectionist ?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Chomag, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I just hope for some idle eye movement, otherwise characters look creepy
    Revon likes this.
  2. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Movement triumph over graphics when it comes to characters. Well actually that's not true, but I find that game developers never have problem making great still images (especially Korean ones). But they certainly, certainly do when it comes to connecting those still images into a moving art. Hopefully, due to the whole Pixar inspiration, W* will be exceptional in the animation department unlike so many other MMOs.

It's things like body extension, a sense of gravity and momentum in movement, every little thing counts toward making my character a pleasure to look at be it running around or using combat abilities.
    Malorak likes this.
  3. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I think I don't mind super much, but one of my peeves always is hair. When I give my character some really awesome hairstyle, which then disappears completely and turns into say, a pony tail or near-shaven head once some headgear comes into play. I don't remember specific cases, but some games were very horrible about that sort of thing, just completely destroying the hairdo or removing the hair altogether.

That being my main peeve, I dislike games where you can't control your appearance. Be it by dyes (like GW2, they did a great job there, though not perfect), or appearance armor.
    I just dislike looking like a walking mix-and-match armor display full of different styles and colors. Granted, having less styles would solve that issue, but also make the game more bland because everyone looks the same (I'm looking at you, neverwinter online. Only one armor set per class until lvl 20? wow.)

So yeah. Hair mutilation and not being able to recolor/appearance change are among my peeves as far as that goes. I don't notice clipping an awful lot usually.

Oh, and since someone mentioned, I too love how GW2 did the foot placements. That was just cool, and more games should have that.
  4. Críostóir

Críostóir Cupcake-About-Town

I have no tolerance for this whatsoever in single-player games, but I guess when it comes to MMOs I'm more apt to let it slide, so long as the clipping in question doesn't somehow hinder my enjoyment. That's probably also because I've generally played healers, so I usually spend most of my time instead staring at green bars... :p
  5. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

Hair clipping really bothers me, so I usually just keep my helm hidden. I don't think my poor undead in WoW ever had a helm showing unless it was a hood.. everything clipped with my favorite hairstyle.
  6. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

I'm kinda bothered by clipping. Subtle clipping not so much. I typically spend a very long time (30 mins-1 hr) designing my character. I take a lot of pride in making my character unique, and interesting so when certain things happen in clipping that just makes it look weird, and unnatural it's a big distraction.
  7. Rainydays

Rainydays New Cupcake

I also agree that it is near impossible for an MMO to have no (or even very low) clipping issues. Though amongst them, I can't remember TOO well, but I believe Tera was really good on keeping the clipping to a minimum.

I am also a very big time RP'er, so character creation is a big deal for me. I am known for rolling characters with my friend, getting to level 12 or so before flat out deleting my character because I noticed one tiny thing I didn't like. That usually upsets my friends, but I can't help it! heh
  8. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not as much of a perfectionist as OP, but I do make sure my characters don't have long hair or any other features that are likely to clip into the weapons and armor.
  9. Jetscookie

Jetscookie New Cupcake

I'm one of these people if the weapons clip my character all the time, I will have to make a different race or use a class that doesn't use the weapons. I generally go for the dual wield classes if I'm playing a race with a tail because the weapons won't clip the tail. If I'm playing a race and the weapon is clipping any part of my I will change the type of weapon I'm using. I also pick my races based on their animations. If the shoulder pads seem to float in mid-air I will also change the shoulder pads. I also dislike the ears when they clip through helmets. I'm very good at spotting details, and I wish I wasn't because it sucks for me to not want to play a certain race or class because of it.
    Chomag likes this.
  10. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Yep, same here. Also arms always seem to have issues with the shoulder pads in MMOs. Characters who lift their arms in the air or point them forward have the tendency and doing that right through their shoulder pads.

Funny thing is in WoW the vanilla characters, excepting dwarf female, had their shoulder pads moving with the arm in order to avoid the arm clipping through it. The new races introduced in cataclysm and mop, don't have this, as if Blizzard engaged Lazy Mode after wotlk and they didn't give a <REDACTED> about such details anymore, not to mention the worgen female model is a catastrophy when it comes to glitches, the very animation of moving in stealth has her left arm shameless going straight through the left shoulder pad. I deleted my worgen rogue immediately after seeing that.

Carbine, please don't have Lazy Mode on for character models. I can accept a certain lack of game content but if my character has limbs or items clipping through eachother, I will be very pissed.
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Capes bug me a lot - if implemented well , they are great but if they hang at an awkward angle , I turn off the visual if there is one.
    Its one of the reasons I always had capes off in wow. Could not stand it.
  12. Xaeldn

Xaeldn New Cupcake

I'm generally more concerned with a character's overall look and their movement animations than clipping, but it is something that bugs me. Less a thorn in my side and more a mosquito bite that I can't be bothered dealing with.

I have worried about my Aurin Esper's psyblade clipping tails and hair and things like that, but I'll wait to see the end result before worrying too much and even if it does clip I'll probably just put up with it.

That being said, night elf female rogue with hidden cape and no tabard. No clipping stress ever! (Although the daggers used to hover off the hip...)
    Also, the way GW2 handles stairs was astoundingly impressive. I'm still kind of in awe.
  13. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I can usually spend hours in a character creator screen and often delete and remake a character until I think it's just right. I don't think I will be so obsessive compulsive in Wildstar since there are not any body sliders.

Most characters I do make usually have short hair. It seems to help counteract any accidental clipping. I also like short characters because, to me at least, they're easier for me to see around on the screen. But by now that's probably just a pet peeve of mine.

I do hope there is an option to change a character's appearance after creation. Even if it's just at a 'plastic surgeon' or something. Maybe at my local Protostar Face-Lift Clinic!
  14. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

Well i was picky about it in the start, though by now i just got used to it, i see it in every game and there isn't a clear way to resolve it, so i just accept it now.
  15. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

I think for me at least, a lack of fluidity in the model's animation bothers me a lot more than clipping, because I notice it constantly. I tend to only really focus on the clipping when I'm trying to take screen shots, but I completely understand why folks are bothered by it.

The other thing about models that irks me is when there are problems with their bounding volumes and hit boxes, problems that transcend being simply aesthetic.
  16. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Hide helm piece ftw

I dislike most headgear unless the look is more ornamental and enhance the characters appearence and personality rather than hide it away. It is the only piece of fighting gear where I disregard wether or not it looks rational for the situation. I'd prefer a sweaty headband over a shiny knights helm, or a hairband over a shroud.

But you are right, sometimes the hair chosen does not fit within the head gear - or having a visible headgear totally removes any indication of what hair you set up, except for maybe hair color.
  17. cirk

cirk Cupcake

Your character model and its animations are the one piece of content you will be having in front of you 99% of the time. Hour after hour.. weeks or months overall. I never could play a race with animations I do not like or are poorly executed. Even minor glitches drive me insane, if I can not avoid looking at them all the time.
  18. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not a technical perfectionist when it comes to clipping and such... but I am a customizable perfectionist. Things like a bad run animation stand out to me, but I can get used to them after a while (like the sylvari female run animation in GW2). However, if I don't have enough options like hair color, face shape, etc to make my character interesting and stand out from the crowd I get so bothered I lose interest in the whole game.
    Azhdaha likes this.
  19. Honour

Honour Cupcake

Thankfully I'm not bothered by small clipping issues normally, it just comes with the territory a lot of the time.
  20. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I can be a bit annoyed by clipping too, but mostly if it's extensive. If it's a tiny bit of hair clipping through the coat now and then, it's probably fine, but if half the hair disappears in specific types of armor, I'd probably avoid that hairstyle.

But yeah, I can be quite the perfectionist. Animations can put me off playing specific race/gender/class combinations, but it can also make me more eager to play them if it's something that inspires me or looks particularly awesome.
    LunaDra likes this.