1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Are you player model perfectionist ?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Chomag, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Edymnion

Edymnion New Cupcake

As a hobbyist 3D modeler myself, I have to say no, I am not bothered by minor clipping.

But that comes more from the fact that I know how much work goes into making a model look good and the tradeoffs that come from looking good and animating well.
  2. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Personally- it does annoy me a bit. Played a tauren and troll with their tusks/horns sticking straight out of their helmets... Looked iffy sometimes other times it was plain bad. Played a blood elf then and his EYEBROWS of all things stuck out... When I went worgen my weapons seem to have love to run through me when I went into mount mode... So ya- it gets rather annoying considering there are easy fixes to this. AKA adjusting weapon placements and turning off certain features when equiping items.

Funny that you mention this- I'm a graphic/web designer so I dont work with 3d art but 2d- When you put it like this though it does really make sense as I know how long 3d models do take (I dabbled minorly in them).... I'm just a spoiled <expletive> I guess.
  3. Level 9 Zubat

Level 9 Zubat New Cupcake

You obviously have never seen the bosom of a Dwarven Female. Those plots of untamed wilderness that rival the legends of old; you'll never tame the REAL mountains of Ironforge!

On topic: Model clipping does kind of annoy me, but not enough to stop me from playing something.
    F8L Fool and Thordran like this.
  4. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

Those Dwarven women always asked me if I cared for a pint. Why yes miss, yes I would.

Thus proving Dwarves > all.

As for player models, not a perfectionist, but I spend a bit of time customizing the character's basics to see what I like. I typically don't make a ton of alts and focus hard on one character, so if I gotta look at him/her for years, they're gonna have a little care put into making them look right.
    Yinello likes this.
  5. DMC9920

DMC9920 New Cupcake

I feel you OP. Clipping issues really bother me. I dislike anything that kills immersion. I realize that it takes a lot of effort that could be used more effectively elsewhere, but I really dislike it nonetheless. Apparently realistic hair that will just lay on your armor is incredibly hard to do. It would probably also take a lot of processing power especially with 40+ characters on the screen.
    Chomag and F8L Fool like this.
  6. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

I can let a little clipping slide but beyond that I'm a perfectionist and tend to spend hours and hours in character creation :p

First post btw ^.^
    Zwipe likes this.
  7. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I do hate tail clipping. I get that they don't design every long jacket with a hole in it but sometimes it would be nice if I didn't have to pretend.

Skyrim's items can be absolutely horrid to anyone that isn't humanoid. Especially the Dragon Masks will smoosh your face so much.
  8. Zwipe

Zwipe Cupcake

lol i am SO this!

In City of Heroes and Champions Online I would spend hours getting the height, length, hair color, even the NAME of the outfits to match just right.

My GF give me a hard time and says I like to play dress up, more than killing stuff, lol.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Since Wildstar has both aurins and draken, there is hope for a world made for those with tails! I kind of wish I had a tail sometimes. It would be neat. With two little claws on the end that I could scratch my back with or hold an umbrella and I could wave at three people at once.

But it does make me think that each 'skin' of armor will look different for each race. Like "Super Brooding Longcoat" will have a tail option for aurin and draken when for other races (poor tailless people) it will just look normal. Kind of makes me wonder how aurin ears and draken horns will appear with some things though.

In City of Heroes and Champions tails always just seemed to look funny. They were 'animated', but it's neat to watch how they move in the Carbine videos. They're actually synced with the character's running and walking. At least, it looks that way to me.
  10. monko

monko Cupcake

I wouldn't consider myself a perfectionist, I just have a very specific taste in visuals when it comes to a race. I love the sly, sleek models and the very oriental, ninja-like character models hence my very likely choice in picking a Cassian.
  11. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I either don't notice or I laugh at them :p
  12. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

Yep I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my character. Every slider needs to be perfect and when a clipping issue appears I normally use cosmetic gear to cover it. However, the most annoying one happened to me in GW2. I played a male Norn ranger with long hair. I loved my character - he looks great and I wouldn't change a thing about him. Ever since GW2 came out I wanted the Tier 3 Norn medium armour which included a fur wrapped around the shoulders which really appeals to me. Love that fur-lined armour look. Problem is when I finally managed to get the armour, the long hair clipped through the fur and stuck out the back. There aren't many things in the world that bothers me as much as those damn 3 inches of hair. Both the armour and hair was perfect and exactly what I wanted, but to keep both resulted in the most incredibly frustrating clipping issue. I've since quit GW2 and I think partially because I couldn't find a satisfactory solution to the problem.

I can't express how much such a simple glitch annoyed me. Especially not with the profanity filter of these forums.
    Chomag likes this.