1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Argh!? Spellslinger or Esper?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Vyril, Nov 20, 2013.

1. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Extra Sensory Perception. ESP. ESPer: Its a sci-fi term for those that have ESP or psychic sometimes called psionic powers. ESPers. PSIs, TEEKs (for TK), Psions.....
    Habanero and SnailPlissken like this.
  2. Anoesis

Anoesis New Cupcake

Has to be ESPer for me. I mean c'mon, them visuals O_O, Plus who wouldn't want to smack someone in the face with a massive hand...

Decision made?
  3. SnailPlissken

SnailPlissken Cupcake

Thank you very much for that quick response:)
    RavenWind likes this.
  4. Kilo

Kilo New Cupcake

It greatly depends on your playstyle. IF healing, do you want more AOE or Single target heals? Esper has a mix of both, well from what I have seen Spellslinger is primarily AOE heals.

For dps, do you like to stand nuke, dodge rinse repeat? Or do you prefer moving around the entire time, kiting the hell out of your enemies etc.
  5. Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar Cupcake

I'm more interested to see exactly the healing breakdown for both classes. I've always been more of a single-target guy (play Scholar in FFXIV and Druid in WoW) but I just love the feel of the Slinger. Hmmmm....
  6. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

I will definitely be rolling an Esper alt i think they'll be alot of fun :)

And yeh as said before, awesome animations :)
  7. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

So the the SS has more control when they burst but the burst isn't as dramatic of an increase compared to Esper. So a SS can actually start a fight with high burst while an Esper needs to build (likely only 5-10 seconds).

From the q&a it sounds like the biggest difference is if you prefer selected targeting (Esper) or skill shots (Spellslinger).

But they can both do everything each other can, but each have more options in certain areas. Ie Esper has more stand still and nuke spells, but SS has 2 which could form the basis of your build.
  8. FelixAkuma

Yeh when it comes down to it, it's mostly about mobility, ok you can build them both so they're either stationary or mobile.. but it seems that Esper will excel in stationary over Spellslinger (Not using that SS thing ugh..) and Spellslinger will excell alot more in mobility and kiting..
  9. DanLeMan

DanLeMan New Cupcake

Sounds like the spellslinger has more abilities to get out of melee range so my main's probably going to be a spellslinger, but I'll definitely make an esper alt. ;)
  10. FelixAkuma

Not 100% because they did say the Esper has a lot more CC than the Spellslingerr, i think the Spellslinger moves itself around more rather than CC'ing, so i think they both have their own way of keeping distances, of course its too early to tell for sure :p
  11. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

Ok, I'm returning back to my post with some information.

Comparison between ESPer and Spellslinger. This is information that is currently known.

ESPer = Higher Burst, Better Single Target Heals, More CC

Spellslinger = More Mobile, Better AE Heals, Sustained DPS with some Burst.

Don't ask for sources it's out there ;)

I'm in a personal conflict on what I want to play.

I've always been by nature a "nuke" player. The problem is I don't really dig the feel and look of the ESPer but I love that is has the burst I'm looking for.

Spellslinger on the other hand looks awesome visually and is very mobile which sounds like a ton of fun. Especially with the Void. Leaving the game field for 5-7 seconds would be really awesome.
    FelixAkuma likes this.
  12. morroIan

morroIan New Cupcake

Which one will have the better cc abilities?
  13. FelixAkuma

Not sure about "Better" but it has been stated that Esper gets more CC than Spellslinger, probably because of Spellslingers higher mobility and more mobility based skills/spells.

Also my opinion Vyril is to just.. play both.. The game is that fun i see no reason to make a toon for atleast every class, but nevermind that, if you like these two so much, do them both! :D
  14. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

Some important distinctions to make and add to that list:

Esper: More targeted, tab-target style heals. Roughly half their skillset.
    Spellslinger: Nearly all freeform, action combat style heals

Also from what I've read (and they mentioned a few of these skills during the livestream) the Spellslinger has more cool buffs, debuffs, and other utility so they'll do a better job of not only AoE/Freeform healing, but also the fun supporty aspect of a healer as well. Whereas the Esper is more old school tab target healing with a few cool freeform spells and CCs.

I think with how much dodging and movement this game will require, along with the breakout gameplay, diminishing returns, and interrupt armor - the more mobile Spellslinger, with a handful of CC's but more mobile skills and some really cool mobility-based utility skills, will be better off than the more stationary Esper who relies on CC to keep distance. CC in this game will not always hit, will have less of an effect when attempting to chain CC, and will not last very long on the target. Plus, the ability to move a lot and dps/heal on the run will be a big bonus for the Spellslinger.
    Habanero likes this.
  15. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

Why not make both to your liking, try both, level both for a few levels, and pick for yourself?
  16. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

I'm trying to decide between the Slinger and the Stalker. I normally play a rogue/ranger and in a lot of games it's the same class, like Rift where you can mix rogue/ranger skills. I like stealth and I like ranged. But here I have to decide which I want to go with. Why can't there be a Slingstalker? Or... yeah. You know what I mean. lol
  17. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

That's going to be the ESPer for the lack of mobility in the build.
  18. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

Honestly I don't understand the design decisions for the ESPer.
    The two basic abilites (no CD, builds psi pts.) are either a stationary cast (1.25 sec) or a melee cast with sh*t damage. I don't get it. Adding to that some PBAoE with 10m range and no defensive advantage. All that with a light-armor-class??
    The stream was an excellent example of how not-to-play a light-armor-caster. And even played by the class-developer. I won't go into detail here as the flaws in gameplay are pretty obvious.
    Designing a light-armor-class as a _stationary_ caster or _melee-caster_ (with no defenses) is just beyond me.
    CCs? very limited, due to LAS and long cooldowns -> not very viable in fast paced action-combat.

It's no wonder that the spellslinger is by far the most played class in beta right now (as the devs stated). The class design is just suited for the kind of gameplay WildStar offers (which is awesome, don't get me wrong.)

What am I missing here. Can anybody help me?
  19. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with you. The Esper has a lot of design issues. I have discussed probably too much the issues with healing, and the damage side is the same. Aside from what you mentioned, there is too much variety with the class. They have a mix of ranged damage and melee damage, targeted heals and non-targeting.

There's no clear design vision for this class and the variety is gimping anyone who plays an Esper. Want to be a freeform healer? Well you have like 4 skills to choose from, which means zero build variety and the chances of that build being viable for everything is small, so you'll likely be forced to go targeted for stuff. The Spellslinger doesn't have that problem. They have a wide variety of freeform heals or a wide variety of ranged dps, so players will have more choices on how to spec for various situations.

Then there's the dps side of the Esper where they have a mix of ranged and melee, mostly stationary, with the various other issues you already outlined. The "look" of the class is cool but it needs a lot of work to unify the skills under one clear design idea. Anyone that has gotten beyond the pretty visuals and actually looked into the two classes can see pretty clearly why Spellslinger has been a favorite for so long.
    Habanero likes this.
  20. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

I couldn't agree more. You pretty much desribed what I perceive as the main issue with the class. Thank you!