1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Argh!? Spellslinger or Esper?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Vyril, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I don’t think you’re missing anything.
    The Esper was a level 20 going against level 18s and as soon as it got challenged it faceplanted. I have no clue what level the Spellslinger was because they moved the Dev window down, but the Warrior was a level 18 going against level 18s, and its combat was a lot cleaner. Also even though the Warrior only had one CC on its bar and the Esper had two there were more MOBs being made vulnerable by the Warrior, because the knockdown was on a 15sec timer, not a 30sec timer like the Esper’s knockdown. The Esper was often rotating the two CCs between encounters because of their long timers, which is <REDACTED>ed if you’re going to relying on them for defense, and extra damage (Vulnerable). I also do not like the Esper’s resource mechanic. It requires you to spam a builder in order to make a finisher worthwhile, where with the Spellslinger you could start the resource, open with a heavy (Which also has the longest range in the game.), and then shut off the resource (if you wished) or use it up, and over a short time that resource would automatically rebuild itself.

I think the Dev made a bad selection of skills for the Esper LAS bar, but I also think that the Esper is badly tuned for WildStar combat anyways so I’m not sure that it would have made much difference.
    Leiloni likes this.
  2. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

Again, I agree.
    The Spellslinger duel was vs. a level 24 Esper so I guess he was also level 24.

Overall the Warrior-stream was way better organized, the Spellslinger-stream even more so.
  3. Jeuraud

The Exile Spellslinger was equipped in blues, but I couldn't find the level on either character. Where did you see their level at?

Something to note, all of the info drops have made me interested in all the classes we have seen (including the Warrior) except the Esper. I was interested in the Esper before the info drop, but now, even as an Altaholic, I'm no longer interested in giving the Esper a try until the Devs show me some major improvements to the class.
  4. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

I edited my post to correct it. As the duel was vs level 24 Esper, I assumed the Chua was the same level.
    About equipment grade I'm not sure anymore as I only saw some green on the Chua. So I removed that from my post.
    The second Spellslinger, who did the dungeon, was equipped in blue. Level I don't know.
    Cheers!
  5. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I usually prefer mobility over anything else. I like being quick to attack and quick to move in the heat of combat. Long channeling times and rooted spells make me anxious. Now the Esper isn't that bad in the sense of WoW Mage but the Spellslinger livestream definitely won me over.
  6. Iskiab

Iskiab Cupcake

Check the Esper video again. They're not mobile but they also have a short range spec that looks very promising. For myself I'm torn between spellslinger and the Esper specializing in a short range role.
  7. Jeuraud

Promising?!
    In the first combat after switching to short range the Esper was a level 20 going up against 2 level 17s, and he applied his 45sec cycle time Absorb buff. It took him approximately 30 seconds to take out the MOBs, and he lost all of the absorb buff and shields, and about 25% of his hitpoints.
    In the first Warrior encounter the Warrior was up against 3 equal level MOBs, which took him about 20sec to take out, and he lost all of his shields, and a bit of his hitpoints, with one of the Devs commenting about him doing a lousy job of avoiding the telegraphs.

The Warrior was safer and faster against 3 equal level MOBs then the Esper was against 2 MOBs 3 levels below the Esper.
    Leiloni likes this.
  8. Iskiab

Iskiab Cupcake

How fast kills are and whatnot is irrelevant, what's important is the playstyle. Any advantage will get changed, either at release or shortly afterwards so trying to find the 'OP' class is a waste of time. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment when it does get changed.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  9. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

This thread is not about which class is OP. People started out discussing preferences based on the styles of the two classes and many people think the classes are so equal they can't even choose. Then it morphed into a game design discussion, because many of us feel the Esper is a poorly designed class right now in comparison to the Spellslinger. No one is discussing either class being over powered - rather we're all discussing the fun factor.
  10. Jeuraud

Then I’ll leave you to what you consider to be important, and hope that the Devs bring the Esper up to the Warrior, who I don’t consider to be OP, but standard. I have absolutely no interest in going back to EQ standards where taking on blues and even greens was the standard for solo.
    Leiloni likes this.
  11. Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar Cupcake

After watching the Medic DevSpeak I'm going off the board and chosing that. It's the spellslinger mobility that I love but at a closer and more dangerous range! Fun!
  12. Bloddryn

Bloddryn Cupcake

Yeah, but not to point any fingers, or anything, but... the quality of people playing on the streams hasn't exactly been constant.

It may be just a bit early to say X class < Y class.
    Habanero likes this.