1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Armor Graphics and Race

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Hambledurger, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Hambledurger

Hambledurger New Cupcake

I tried look around a bit but I don't know if it has really been brought up at all: I'm curious if Carbine is planning to have different armor graphics for the different races?

Just to clarify, I'm wondering if an armor piece would look different based on the race that equips it.

I'm assuming this is not the case since they would have to design 8 different looks for one piece of armor. What got me curious is looking at the exile picture where they have their hands raised (used in the fourth race speculation thread) it appears all hands have heavy-ish armor but with different graphics.

Idle curiosity.
    MassFragg likes this.
  2. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

I hope they don't change the looks of armor per race. I'd hate to memorize what every piece of armor looks like on different races when I'm in PvP and wondering if he's out geared me or not :p
  3. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Well you have to change the look because it has to fit that race's body. Other than that I don't think there will be any serious changes.
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

*Stares at the avatars on the background of the forums*

Carbine likes big shiny belts! :D
  5. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

This pretty much sums up the available information on this topic, he has a couple other posts regarding the art of the game on page 7 of the topic as well if you're interested.
    Lumzk likes this.
  6. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I do hope they don't make 1 armor set look drastically different on each race. As much as I loved GW2 gorgeous armor sets, it was quite annoying that I couldn't get that poofy lolita skirt on my Asura. D=
  7. Hambledurger

Hambledurger New Cupcake

Thanks Soylent, I'll check it out. I think it would be cool for each race to have their own themes for armor, but that would be quite a bit more work for the art team.
  8. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

I agree with this, generic types of armor will look very similar on each race besides fitting the body type. But who is to say they wont have "Racial" armors similar to GW2 cultural armors for each race?
  9. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

We don't know yet and I wouldn't be surprised if some things were quite different, we do have some pretty diverse races after all. But that is yet to be released and I couldn't really care either way.
  10. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

I personally can't wait to see some of the raid gear and how awesome it looks
  11. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I hope that everyone does not look the same at end lvl like they did in WoW.
  12. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

that's because they used the same gear model for both male and female asurans...annoyed me to no end!
    Yinello likes this.
  13. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

I knoooow. Now mind you, I have no problem with unisexed outfits, but it was too much the same.
  14. Rackham

Rackham Cupcake

I hope they don't make different armor looks depending on race. If I spent months leveling a Cassian (for example sakes), I'd be really upset if I were to discover my hard-earned end game gear looks way cooler on a Draken than on me.
  15. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I think they are having costume slots so you wont know anyways.. you may even fight almost neked guys who outgear you :/ in a sense lol.
  16. Hambledurger

Hambledurger New Cupcake

I've been curious about the costume option. I'm wondering if it might just be something that you can quick switch to, but it doesn't have any stats or armor value? Just for some fun when out of combat or RPing.
  17. Rackham

Rackham Cupcake

They could implement it a number of ways. There's the method GW2 uses where you have "town clothes" which can only be used out of combat and (I think) only in the city. - I really thought this was a waste as there were far more options with regular armor and the purchasable town clothes were mostly too gimmicky or just plain odd.

Another way they could do it would be how DCUO had it. You earned costume unlocks and it really didn't matter what gear you wore as you could specify whatever costume unlock and colour combination you wanted.

The way I think Carbine will do is a method similar to transmogging in WoW although as a separate character clothing window that you can toggle to. Like transmogging, you'd be able to grab any gear you are allowed to wear and then "bind" the visual look to that item slot. I.e. only light armor with light armor.
  18. Hambledurger

Hambledurger New Cupcake

Honestly never really liked the GW2 system, but that's just me. Transmog was fun because it allowed for "throwback" gear. DCUO had a different gearing system entirely, so I think that was set up a little different, but being able to unlock graphics would be a cool idea.
  19. FullMetalPizza

FullMetalPizza New Cupcake

What I really want to see personally is pvp set different for each faction, like wow vanilla, I want to be able to know if a player is from the exiles or the dominion just by seeing is armor.
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I actually hope for different looking PvP sets for each faction as well. Granted we can always use dyes to make our stuff look a certain way, but have ONLY certain sets be found on each faction here and there would be pretty cool. It's hard to do though, because what if one set is cooler than the other? Then people get angry! ;)