1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Armor Graphics and Race

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Hambledurger, Apr 22, 2013.

1. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

I guess then the only way I'll know is when they destroy me then :/
  2. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Quote from Captain Malcom Reynolds " If someone tries to kill you, You try to kill them right back! "

FireFly :) In that ship we all would like to call home SERENITY
  3. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

"take my love, take my land take me were I cannot stand, but you can't take the sky from me...."
    Cuban Cowboy likes this.
  4. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

No power in the verse can stop me.
    Flawz likes this.
  5. Krippi

Krippi New Cupcake

I'm all for making your character as unique as possible. Personally I hope they can provide an option to hide your armor and not allow the other person to see what your currently wearing for pvp purpose. Kinda like EQ2 when Bruiser's wore robes and confused others into thinking they were squishes. I know that with the right balance, they could make it where skills overwhelm stats within a pvp environment and gear would not be much of a concern.

However, in my opinion , anyone that puts in the effort and dedication to get high rated gears should have a bit more of an advantage then those wearing regular gear but still keep room for those with the right skills an opportunity to still beat you if played correct.
  6. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I agree that anyone who attains pvp gear threw pvp should have an advantage because pve gear is naturally much easier to get..

Bad pve teams can still gear up and win the dungeons attaining their gear.
    Bad pvp teams will lose and just get farmed by the better team, and when that happens they do not get the gear they spend hours trying to aquire.

A system to mod pve gear to make them stand some kind of chance against high pvp geared players should be implamented but I dont think the pve gear should be able to be upgraded to be on par with pvp gear.

Would be like someone playing a pve server to max lvl and getting raid gear then transfering to a pvp server modding their pve gear to pvp and then being on the same pvp gear lvl as people who did BGs and Warplots and Arenas and took long hard frustrating hours to get their gear.

And yet another quote from FireFly.... "does that seem right to you?"
  7. Orcbum

Orcbum New Cupcake

Many of the outfits in GW2 are similar because of the dye options, so there are a bunch of shared models in the game bar race/class "end" game sets. To my knowledge, Wildstar won't have this option yet, so there will be more flexibility in how complex and how unique each article of clothing they can design.

As for costumes, I'm hoping they won't release ridiculous things like swim suits, maid costumes, etc, and rather release armor sets that pertains to the genre, similar to how SWTOR's cashshop sold awesome looking Star Wars outfits (but rather than moddable gear, a transmog system would be much preferable).
  8. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Transmog type is nice, but I wouldent mind casual costume sets though.. why not swim suits? formal outfits? They only add to a game. especially for role players.

I would like to see Path specific costume sets :) each path get their own unique path costumes.. maybe achievement or at certain lvls. not just 1 lol, multiple ones :) that way every scientist does not look the same..

Lab Scientist (armor / costume)
    Evil Scientist (armor / costume)
    In the field Scientist (armor / costume)
    Casual Scientist (armor / costume)
    Combat Scientist (armor / costume)

just a few examples of different possible costume sets for Paths :) Dont forget Hats and nice shoes that dont have pants tucked into them :p
  9. Orcbum

Orcbum New Cupcake

I may have been too harsh on casual outfits, but my stance stands -- they have no place in combat. Small practicalities emphasize the realism of a fantasy themed video game. When a Tank is tanking in swim trunks, and a rogue is sleuthing around in a ridiculously ostentatious dress, it really detracts the awesome aesthetics of the combat.

They can make it like GW2 where you can only wear these fun outfits outside of combat. Or simply make them 0 stats and untransmoggable.
  10. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

Gw2's non-combat costumes were terribly done, even one point of damage switched you to combat armour. 0 armour clothes is bad too, because we would have to run around with a butt-load of clothes in our bags.

I do agree though, that I hate seeing characters in bikinis and fancy dresses tramping around in combat areas or dungeons.

Also, I hope draken get a lot of barbaric looking outfits.
  11. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

personally I think it would be awesome to wear like a buisness suit like the Shinra do in FF7 :) It was fantasy :p

I dont mind stabbing some Dominion Draken wearing a dress :) If he wants to wear it oh well haha. Not everyone wants to fight and wear armor all the time. Some MMO's wear just cool looking outfits with no protection.. Sephiroth in FF7 just wears basically a trench coat with tiny bit of stuff on it. I like my characters to look agile, and stealthy.. most armor does not look that way :)

That being said.... its a Sci-fi Fantasy.. who's to say those swimming trunks dont have nano technology from the Elden that create a shield around your character? Sci-Fi Fantasy = anything possible
  12. Orcbum

Orcbum New Cupcake

There needs to be limitations on the anything possible; you can be nude and have some biotech implants in your body that would be more than enough to defend against attack. The fact is that nudity affects the rating and the image, and you can be assured that bikinis, short shorts, maid outfits, anything wapanese, would definitely change how people view this game.

Armor models (or clothes) in video games emphasize the character's attributes. You can tell by Sephiroth's flowy long trench coat that he's agile and deadly, and Shinra's henchman are in suits because it denotes that they're a corporate, albeit governmental, entity. Sephiroth could deliver the final blow to (spoiler!) Aerith in an itty bitty thong with a Lightsaber, but then nobody would take FF7 seriously because the Lightsaber is out of place and Sephiroth looks like Tarazan.

I'm not saying no to fun outfits, but it needs to fit the theme, and the place where it can be used. I'm very fond of medieval armor, but I hope it won't ever be put into this game. Swimming suits can be a temporary thing--maybe you can right click a dressing room by a swimming pool (if they put one in the game!), and you're able to wade around in a pool, or lounge on a tanning chair in speedos. Suits and dresses can be tailored in a way for combat, and can keep a Sci-Fi element to them if the art team wishes to do so, and there could be restrictions--you can't transmog these stylish clothes over heavy armor.
    Flawz likes this.
  13. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with your viewpoint on limitations. I laughed so hard about Sephiroth's Jedi attack in a thong. Made my night and it makes sense to keep with the theme of the game. I do think that some social cloths should be able to costume and cover armor if chosen too... If they make swim suits then maybe they should make it Real armor with +swim stats or something so you can chose fighting stats or swim stats thus avoiding a guy in a speedo slashing at you with a 9 foot uh, sword. because they would lose their pvp stats by choosing the swimming trunks.
  14. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Well duh. Would you rather that they stay on while you're in combat, thus rendering you extremely squishy and killable? Of course they had to program to instaswitch so that you'd always be battle ready.
  15. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

In side of a city where there is no combat going on, and the only damage you take is the tiny bit from jumping off short walls or platforms, then it's silly. Duh.

Besides that, taking damage for jumping off a wall no higher than your hips is a pretty stupid game mechanic in itself.
  16. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah the fall length without damage is pretty short. Personally I believe especially in cities it should be longer.
    Fox Spirit likes this.
  17. Fox Spirit

Fox Spirit Cupcake

I understand fall damage, if you're like, jumping off the top of an arch, or a really tall building, but when you're jumping off a ledge that's just over your head, that really dumb.

And as I recall, there was no keybind for switching outfits, which made it even more annoying.
  18. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

I really like when each race-gender combination gets its own unique armor models. It gives a hell of a lot more variety in-game, is great for altoholics, and can communicate some interesting cultural themes for each race. Major gear tiers can be similar thematically, but I think they should all be different models.
  19. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Hehe, this kind of discussion always makes me think of:

[​IMG]
    Jynetik, Daynejah, Yakzan and 2 others like this.