1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Armor restrictions? What's known and unknown?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by C1d0s, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Payne

Payne New Cupcake

Wow checked back in after my joke and saw it take off! woot lol
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

What was your joke?

Forums have a tendency to abruptly shapeshift at the drop of a hat. The internet community is volatile.
    Payne and Leiloni like this.
  3. Payne

Payne New Cupcake

"So how does the Need/Greed system work with "Hey can I get that awesome piece of tank gear on my fluffy bunny speeeelslinger?!"

Yes, forums do have a tendency to abruptly shapeshift at the drop of a hat. So much built up hate lol...
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  4. Payne

Payne New Cupcake

Overall I like what Carbine is attempting to do with allowing the cosmetic representation of different class gear on any class. However, it would be cool if it was something a crafter could make for sell/gift in game too. Rather than waste a drop that could be used by the class it was intended for.

I do agree it seems almost pointless to not be able to wear it in combat just out of personal preference and added customization of your character.

After arguing with myself as I'm posting this I can see why it's just simpler to allow dropped gear to be also equipped as cosmetic...
  5. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

There is useful information that can be gained from seeing gear, both your allies and enemies. First is role, if they alter the gear look/color depending on role, you will be able to make a snap determination on the role and subsequently the likely LAS, before the enemy (or ally) uses their first ability, yes this could also be done with the Weapon, however in PVP many times Tanks/Healers will use DPS weapons instead of their role weapons for stat purposes, if all class gear is the same then you wouldn't have this information. The next is an estimation of strength/durability, while you don't know the skill of an opponent/teammate necessarily you can still utilize this to estimate how easy it will be to take down that opponent, or if you are a healer how easy to keep up an ally, so you can make a determination on what target to focus fire (or heal). Certainly this can be estimated by HP numbers, but that comparison is more difficult in larger scale PVP (e.g. Warplots) compared to a visual gear comparison.

There are several reasons why it is less of a problem in WoW. First and most importantly, roles are easily seen before an ability is cast regardless of gear, e.g. you know a priest is dps when you see them in Shadowform. Second, there is no large scale competitive PVP, 15v15 was the max and even within that you rarely had to make target determinations between more than 6-10 opponents. Depending on how many points of contention there will be in Warplots, you could be determining targets from 10-20 opponents.

I understand if this information is less important to you than showing your cosmetic look, but valuable information can be gained, even if just faster, by seeing gear.
  6. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

This is amazing because I always feel med armour is pretty rubbish ... light and be all robey and angelic, heavy can be like a mobile fort ... med is often too much of nothing ... so very glad I can deck my medic out in full plate.
  7. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

I get all this. But I meant is it going to be like how WoW was, where if you can equip it you can roll on it, or how WoW is, where if it matches your spec stats you can roll on it. Cuz the problem I still see is a DPS Spellslinger rolling on a piece of healing gear for RP that the Healing Esper needs for stats.
  8. CRB_J-Tal

CRB_J-Tal Carbine Studios

This is no longer a thing - removing/modifying/adding chips to non-crafted gear. It's still part of crafting, in a slightly different way. And for everything else we have something new now. In the next beta. Probably gonna get leaked.

... but not today.
    Baamz, Sonntam, Crimzen and 8 others like this.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

GAH!! why for you guys change it! i liked the idea of chipping! :-O /mad Kat
    Mondasin likes this.
  10. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

It's still there in crafting gear. TBH I like that a lot better. It makes rolling on gear a lot nicer. That way someone doesn't roll need for a single chip when another player needed the whole piece.
    Sonntam and Crimzen like this.
  11. Serath

Serath New Cupcake

All I ask is that you let me wear a Duster type armor.
  12. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

He works at Carbine. See the "CRB" prefix and yellow name with the word "Carbine Studios" under it? ;)
  13. expendability

expendability Cupcake

Phone browsing FTL! LoL... wouldnt have asked if I saw that! Just like to verify info before I take it as fact.
    Leiloni likes this.
  14. Sagidu

Sagidu New Cupcake

Been playing MMO's for 10 years now-give or take. This is the first time i feel obligated to express my opinion on official (well sort of) forum. Following Wildstar progress for quite some time and this is literally the first and only thing i dislike so far. Also at the same time it is first sign of derailing from philosophy behind design of putting in stuff into the game that has been tested and worked somewhere else.

Please do not do this. It has been done in SWOTOR. It did not work. You would have non Jedi classes wearing Jedi only gear and Jedi classes wearing medium/heavy armor. Now if you did not play and see it i can GUARANTEE you-a Commando with big ass cannon wearing robes and a hoodie is NOT a good sight. Neither is lightsaber wielding Jedi in heavy combat armor.

It is cool for bunch of players to goof around and what not but COMPLETELY breaks immersion for the rest of the player base.

In my honest opinion i do think this decision from a development angle is a mistake. Wildstar will have a hard time introducing it's world and lore already as it is (as a fresh game and having not so typical settings). Allowing everybody to wear everything will just break any immersiveness.

Personally i am not looking forward to seeing Chua Stalkers looking like small tanks wearing 100 kgs of metal with their little claw weapons on the sides. Or Granok Warriors running around in a pink dress with giant two handed sword on their back.
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oke so you say 2 things at once:

Be carefull!!!

For you begin to make assumptions that CAN be wrong!

He does say you can wear all types of armor cosmetically.....

But this can also mean the next:

Warrior can wear light, medium and heavy armor as a costume....but he CAN'T wear Esper only gear!

See the difference here?

If we take WoW as the example:

A warrior would NOT be able to wear the Tier gear! or the PvP gear of a mage.

But for the rest he would be able to wear CLOTH armor as costumes!

It can be this aswell.

So i'll say it again: Be carefull with making haste assumptions and jumping to conclusions that may not be there! ;)

As for the other parts:

Why would it break immersion if a warrior could wear a pink dress?
    Aint they a lady anyway? Can't YOU wear more then 1 type of clothing aswell?

Also they have stated somewhere that you most likely will not be able to use costumes in the instanced PvP scene.
    As what you wear/do outside in the open world is up to you. And I rather see it increase the immersion for RP'ers that way instead of breaking it.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Except this can all be taken care of through other means by looking at a stats window which can easily show class, role, etc. or also by glancing at health bars that show HP number totals. Even so, these distinctions are very minor and become completely irrelevant in ranked matches as I addressed earlier. You'll learn who someone is very quickly in combat anyway.

There's just no reason to obstruct the freedom of players over a microscopic convenience for people who aren't good enough to be confident against any foe in PvP.
  17. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

It has nothing to do with confidence in PVP, but everything to do with wanting the maximum amount of information available, in the most efficient form. HP pools can be misleading, especially since we don't know how much HP will jump between tiers, nor do we know whether PVE gear and PVP gear HP pools will be similar. Depending on the gear customization and talent options, you could have someone stacking health to try to hide their lack of gear.

It is certainly less of an issue in Arena, because of the small scale, and the limited composition options. But in terms of Warplots you will not be able to just look at the stats page and be able to remember all of these things in battle, compared to looking at distinctive gear sets. It is fine that you value cosmetic freedom over information, but arguing that it gives virtually no information, or you can just as easily obtain the exact same information as quickly and easily is just false.
  18. Xlugon Pyro

The information you'd receive is minor and frankly inconsequential because you'll probably have to face that opponent at some point in the match in order to win regardless of the information you could glean by looking at their true gear. Regardless of information, you should be playing at your best against any opponent. If knowing someone else's true gear influences your ability to PvP well at all, I hate to break it to you (not really), but you're a bad player.

The rest of your statement requires further contemplation on your part so that you may correct your errors in the future.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  19. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

It isn't avoiding that player, but prioritizing target and CC calls in Warplots.
  20. Xlugon Pyro

Which can be determined by simply engaging them in combat. You'll learn their gear strength very quickly in battle. Besides, kill priorities don't change much even under significant gear variances between enemy players. If they're undergeared, they're not much of a threat anyway and are best left alone to tackle greater threats to your team.