1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Armor restrictions? What's known and unknown?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by C1d0s, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

If they allow players to cosmetically wear any sort of armor in PvP I'm pretty sure that the very exaggerated weapons models will be a dead giveaway anyway. You will never mistake a warrior in light armor for anything other than a warrior, and the high levels versions of the less obvious weapons like the esper shuriken or spellslinger pistols for example will probably be pretty over the top at the end game as well, to avoid too much confusion.
    Leiloni likes this.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Not to mention there'll probably be hover-over player tags like in many other MMOs that label that character's class.
    Leiloni likes this.
  3. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I find it interesting that you did not use a Healing Spellslinger in your example… anyways W* with its DPS-Support and the LAS system allows you to fill any role that the class can fill, and from what I have read you can switch those roles outside of combat. That switching is going to include gear, unless gear has little impact on the character, which would make this issue moot.

How do you determine if I’m choosing that piece of gear for RP purposes?
    Maybe I’m rolling on that piece of gear to make my character more versatile, so that I could fill a Healer role next time, or maybe I’m a Hybrid Spellslinger and I want to improve my healing capability along with my DPS.

Or are you saying that because I’m not presently a full Healer, that I don’t have the right to roll on Healer gear?
  4. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Huh, interesting, I found the option to chip gear the way you want it a really cool feature so looking forward to seeing whats replacing it. But I do guess this will prevent people from need rolling on items they don't need atm just to stack up on chips for future use...
  5. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

I didn't use a healing Spellslinger because group make up seems to run 1 healer for dungeons, so in most situations 1 class will be healing for a group and I had to pick one, and since I'm rolling a gun blazing Spellslinger, I chose that one. (plus kinda easier to pick since we've seen "officially" Espers healing so it's easier to imagine, I think)
    Yes. I'm sorry but if I'm healing and I need a piece for healing then I have dibs. If you are in a group and the person doing the job needs something they should always get priority for stats because it makes them better for the group right then and there.
  6. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

That logic only stands if they are actually equipping it right then and there. Problem being that is generally not the case. There are too many other variables, like chipping, or "enchants", or that other piece of loot that just happens to be in their bank that puts them over that crucial breakpoint that just happens to make that piece bis!!!!

This is the very reason why things like determining loot rules before the dungeon starts has been an "unofficial rule" since atleast the days of EQ. It was even put as a tip on many different mmo's loading screens yet no one ever actually stops to do so. Unless anything else is stated, anything I can roll on I have the right to roll on. Whether I want to be a nice person and pass if I do not intend to use it, or roll on it if I may need it, or just roll on it to be a dick is entirely my discretion. Carbine makes the rules, not you.
  7. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I don't believe this was a consideration for why the feature was removed.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  8. Jicmonster

Jicmonster Cupcake-About-Town

If I recall SWTOR, RIFT, and GW2 all allowed cosmetic systems to take effect in pvp environments. I don't remember feeling that had a larger affect on target prioritizing then class/context during a given fight.
  9. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Don't think so either :) The system was a good idea, so the only thing I can think of is that it was replaced with an even better one. ^^
  10. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

This is actually the reason I like how Blizzard changed loot rolling. You can only role on what you're there for. You can't take tanking gear from the tank. I'm all for off sets. But everyone chooses a main spec. The role they like to fill is the role they need to build gear for first. This shouldn't be a rule before the dungeon you set up.

If a piece of tanking gear drops and it's better for me, as a tank, why are you taking it? Ok, fine, I chip it later but it's still an upgrade for the role I'm filling primarily. I'm fine with your stance and I get that people can roll on things however Carbine decides to let rolling work, but if I'm in a group and I'm tanking and someone takes my tanking gear I'm either leaving or kicking them, I really don't care how this makes me sound but I don't have to deal with the long queue lines in games and they took my upgrade.

Does anyone really expect this not to happen? I mean really though. Are you telling me you are completely ok with a someone taking the gear you need for your primary role or are you just playing devil's advocate?
  11. Livnthedream

See, thats the problem, I don't like the direction that WoW has headed. Its why I no longer (and haven't for some time) played that game. Dungeons are no longer team building exercises, they are smash and grabs where you get patted on the head and awarded your cookie. I much prefer the feeling of control in my loot. The anticipation of winning that piece of loot. The buildup to getting that piece of loot is so much more important to me than the piece of loot itself.
    Kataryna likes this.
  12. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

There's a huge difference in WoW's direction and the loot system. I hate where WoW is now, and I agree with all this. The thing that WoW did right was loot systems. You roll on gear for you. A Shaman can't roll on cloth regardless of how much better it is (I ran into this problem where 5%int was less than the int I'd get from the cloth piece). I don't mind rolling for loot, I don't mind fighting for loot, what I hate is being ninjaed by a fully geared dps Warrior who wants an off spec tanking shield while that shield would be my best piece and I'm tanking the dungeon!
  13. Livnthedream

The hypocrisy in your statement is both funny and sad. Its not a ninja. He has every right to that shield that you do. He took part in those encounters and earned the right to it the same way you did. In fact he probably made a bigger impact considering just how important good dps is in terms of tank survival. Loot whores like you is part of what has driven WoW into the very direction I despise.
  14. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

Alright, cool. I'll let him tank the next boss then.
  15. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

I generally ask before I need on alt spec items.
    There really should be something in between need and greed to distinguish off spec. I bet that would lower a lot of the issues people seem to have. I have needed on stuff a few times, because I was worried it would be sold/de'd.

Need - Can equip
    Offspec - Still need to be able equip the item
    Greed = Sell
    oppi26 likes this.
  16. Livnthedream

Selfish and vindictive, truly the most mature of players I see.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  17. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Quick questions to put some fire on the fight -

1) What about the person who's changing their main spec, but still doing their previous main spec in dungeons to get the gear for their new main spec, just because their former main spec gear is better? Where do their needs come in?

2) What about the people that decide "Ah screw it, it's taking too long as DPS in queue, I'm gonna go in as (Tank/Healer) since I feel I'm good at those roles in Dungeons, but I'm still going to roll on my Main DPS spec gear." ??

In the NewWoW way of "you can only roll need on spec you joined the group as" these two types of people are screwed over.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  18. oppi26

oppi26 Cupcake

Player 1 I've been there and it blows. All loot systems are hard because each will alienate some players. My biggest problem is with instanced loot systems the economy can take hits where as a need/greed system there's more of a limit on drops. Overall most players I've seen respec their main spec will already have some form of off spec gear they can queue in plus there's also crafted gear which usually is entry level for end game dungeons. If you're committed to the new spec you'll probably buy the gear over run dungeons hoping for that 1 drop off the last boss. And WoW's system actually allows this pretty easy because of the token currency, so actually this group isn't that screwed.
    Player 2... Jack of all trades, master of none situation imo. But tbh, you can tell people in the group and see what happens, cuz as I've said you'll have a shorter queue and probably find a group that'll let you. You'll usually group with over geared DPS anyway so not many should actually need the drops. At least in my experiences of gearing up tanks and off specs. So overall they aren't screwed either (since if people kick you/leave you'll find replacement DPS easier than tank/heal)
  19. Jicmonster

Jicmonster Cupcake-About-Town

1) Any time I've seen someone swap rolls for the benefit of their guild they got aid from the guild in re-gearing. In the past I've had tanks paired up so a tank that needed gear was off tank for someone that alrdy had most their gear or had less equipment overlap so there would be little conflict (easy if you have the personnel to run multiple groups or are catching up to an established main tank).

2) In pugs loot rules vary. Most groups I've been in treat the role ur attending the raid in as ur main. So i would expect that most runs would count dps as an off roll for u for that run. You could talk to the raid lead beforehand but leniency on that matter would be at their discretion rly.

people will always argue over loot rules. only suggestion I ever rly have is to be clear on the rules for that run before accepting the invite and if u deem those rules unacceptable then keep looking for a different group.
    oppi26 likes this.
  20. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

Liking this so far. Makes crafters have something unique to do, while making it easier for raid leaders to distribute loot. And also helps loot distribution in general. Looking forward to seeing the latest changes to the modding system.