1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Aurins - The "Elven" of W*?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by ian emery, Jun 6, 2013.

1. ian emery

ian emery New Cupcake

Every MMO has an "elven" type race? Big ears, usually nature-loving, often among the prettiest (if not the prettiest) races.

WoW: NElves & BElves
    GW2: Sylvari
    ...and the list goes on (sorry, feeling lazy)...

Is it safe to say the Aurins are the "Elf" archetype of W*?
  2. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

Sure why not? They talk to trees and I guess that's reason enough to try and fit them into some archetypal box that everyone feels MMOs must have.
  3. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

Eh maybe. Or not. Honestly I don't really consider them the prettiest, just cute.

(though not all Elves are pretty, as some mythology proves)
  4. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I'm getting the feeling WildStar has given them enough history and culture to make them feel like a distinct people, but yes, I suspect that a lot of people who find elven archetypes attractive might end up creating an Aurin.
  5. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

^This. ;)
  6. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

The reason the fantasy MMO's you list have elf archetypes are because they are a fantasy trope. But WildStar has a scifi setting and what you may be used to from fantasy games may not hold as true.

For instance, the Aurin are the Scientists of the Exiles as opposed to mystics or mages as the regular fantasy setup would have. In that, they're fitting the dwarf/goblin stereotype of a technology using race.

You're probably better off just putting the box to one side - the Aurin are the Aurin of the WildStar universe.
  7. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

If we're defining elves as pretty, big-eared nature lovers... then sure, why not.
    Miatog likes this.
  8. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think of the Aurin as an "elf like" race. The elves are noble, beautiful, (sometimes arrogant), and very conscious race. I think the Luminai are more like elves in a traditional way.
  9. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

They are, but we're dealing with a person who couldn't even be bothered to finish their own list of comparisons. They didn't even get past #2. I somehow doubt that an in-depth analysis of the fantasy trope and its origins was intended to come of this. For the OP's "crayons and Duplo blocks" level of finely calibrated precision, sure, aurin are kind of like elves. It's close enough by hand grenade standards, good enough for government work, etc.

Not that I would complain if this thread were to blossom into such an analysis, though.
    Cottonspore likes this.
  10. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

But the Luminai (cassian/eldan hybrids) are literally space elves (I assume the eldan aren't dissimilar) they're literally copy/pasted eldar (from 40k).

I guess the Aurin fill the wood elf criteria. Im going to say that the Eldan are likely the high elves of wildstar.
    Sonntam likes this.
  11. kanoyo

kanoyo New Cupcake

Elf - tall, noble

Aurin - petite, earthy

Personally I don't like elves, but I like half beast thing.
  12. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

I wouldn't really instantly jump to the conclusion that elves are pretty lol in the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder, more so they are elegant and wise. Aurin appear to me more childish and wild, which I don't believe would fit into any sort of "elf" archetype.
  13. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

The Sylvari never felt elvish to me...if I HAD to pick one race in GW2 I would pick the Sylvari cause they're the closest but...really I don't think they're elvish.

Same as above, if I HAD to pick an elvish race of the PLAYABLE races we've seen, I would pick the Aurins, but I wouldn't really call them very elf like. As Inc1cted said, there's a much better elf like race (at least with what little we know of them.) The Luminai. They actually look Elvish, they hold themselves high, they are the rich and ruling class.
  14. Dragon

Dragon Cupcake

I don't think something being big-eared and nature-loving automatically makes me think "elf," it just makes me think ...well, nature. I think Zap is right, Aurin are Aurin. I like the contrast between the two beast-like races. The Aurin are fuzzy and soft and protective of nature, while the Draken are pointy and tough and all about dominating every living thing. I don't really see that sort of dynamic with elven races in other IPs.
  15. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

The general term elf is a bit outdated as we can see from the division of people's perception of elves in this topic alone. As I see it, originally elves were these runty nature loving midgets, if you pardon the term. Think of Santa's elves. Yeah the runts are still around!
    At some point they were "upgraded" to tall, beautiful and long lived people with passionate love for nature. At some point in time, popular culture again started to morph them to a more elitist and arrogant direction, which is how I think majority see elves as today. Meanwhile there also came to be races like the Night elves in wow and Bosmer in The Elder Scrolls that had a little less of elvish physical features but the love for nature and remnants of elvish features was what still made them elves. So now when you say "elf", people get two rather different visions of what you mean.
    And to stir the mix even more, dryad-ish races like Sylvari of GW2, Elin of TERA and Aurin of W* have sprouted up and we don't really have a general name to group them under. They could be considered elves by their love for nature, but by appearance they are a far cry of the tall and beautiful elves we traditionally see elves as.
    But wait! Remember the runty elves! They were elves before those tall guys yet the tall guys still were called elves too! Looking back at that transformation, isn't it possible that elves are once again evolving to a more petite, naturistic direction?

Just some food for your thought :)
    Sonntam likes this.
  16. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

Consider however the Esper class. Fancy magics are what elves are all about!

Plus, what we have could be called a sci-fi/fantasy mix with steampunkish flair, since strict sci-fi does not allow magic in the form we have here.
    As kuunkulta said it, elves used to be considered mischievous, small and nature-loving. It was Tolkien that transformed them to elegant and wise race we know them as now, but elves in the original sense were a lot like Aurin.
  17. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

Elven are close to nature. Aurins too. I think Aurins are kind of space elven - they protect nature when we probably miss it. They have that ears and tail so they are closer to Mother Nature by theirs way. ;)
  18. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

I think the in the real term of "Elf" the close one are going to be the Eldans, and more after the lore with the luminai and some screens of the game, those statues look very close to an elf.

and Aurin lore is more like they are Space Druids. they defend the mother nature and respect every life form
  19. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I don't really think the Aurin hit all of the typical fantasy elf tropes.

If the interview with the Aurin and the lore on the official site are any indication, the Aurin don't seem haughty or aloof at all. They seem really friendly and team spirited actually. If anything, the Cassian peeps have more of the elven haughty/aloofness/we know we're better and will passively agressively let you know thing going on.

They do have the loves nature thing going on, don't think that's at issue.

They don't really quite have the elf vibe looks wise though in my opinion. They sort of have the big eyes, childlike face anime look going on more than anything. Again, my first thought when seeing the Cassians was "these are the elves in this game even though they don't have pointy ears". My first thought when looking at the aurins was, "oh, animal people who hunt in the trees".

Then I saw the Granok and thought "I will be playing a big rock golem person". :)
  20. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

The more common association for the word "elf" at this point is traditional Sidhe. Elf is a very malleable word, though, and can generally stand for any of the humanoid fae, whose association with freedom and chaos naturally ties them to the less-tamed aspects of nature.

Aurin aren't Sidhe elves. They're Pooka.