1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Aurins - The "Elven" of W*?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by ian emery, Jun 6, 2013.

1. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

Pardon my ignorance, but what on earth are Sidhe and Pooka?? What I gather from wikipedia gives me impression that they're some Irish thing? Pooka is some sort of shapeshifter?
  2. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Take all the mystical beasties of European folklore (especially Irish/Scots) and the vast majority of those are Fae (or, more commonly, Faeries). Redcaps, Brownies, Boggarts, Gnomes, Banshee, Sidhe, Pooka, alladem.

Sidhe are your stereotypical "high elves" and are what Tolkien based his Eldar race on.

Depending on who you talk to, Pooka (or Puka) can be anything from spectral horses to mischievous shapeshifter nature spirits.

Santa's elves are Brownies; small, hardworking, obsessed with quality.

Redcaps, Boggarts, and Banshee are the "dark side" fae of the Unseleigh or Winter Court and tend toward death, murder, and mayhem.

The Old World had a LOT of various fae types ranging from sprites (think Tinkerbell) all the way up to Rawhead and Bloody Bones. It's a rather fascinating subject, but Encyclopedia Mythica is more likely to give you solid info than Wikipedia.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I discern which race falls into which archetype by the types of players who play certain kinds of races and how popular they become. For this reason I see the aurin as a major destination for many typical elf players. Cassians could draw a little from this but it remains to be seen until we get a better glimpse at what the factions' personalities are like.
  4. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

Okay I think I get your meaning though I'm running a little slow as it's 2 am here and I haven't tanked nearly enough caffeine tonight :sleep: I'm not getting much to the argument about separating the different types of elves from each other. About that I only say that the general vision of the general "elf" has changed over time. In other words you could say that I consider the different types being subspecies grouped to evolutionary categories. Or something like that... Read my earlier post on the matter on page1, I put more thought into it.

So Pooka are, despite differing opinion on details, always some of spirit entities. Whereas Aurin by my understanding are anthropomorphic due to evolution, having habited a forest planet. In THIS interview, Liara comments that large ears and tails are pretty much necessary on their planet, which supports it being the work of evolution.
  5. Dave Bowman

Dave Bowman New Cupcake

[​IMG]

THIS guy wants a word with Liara.

So, I'd say like... mechari: high elves / vanyar/noldor that kinda thing, because they're created by the "gods" and hardcoded to uphold their tradition...

Aurin: yeah, night elves (maybe) / wood elves / feyfolk / etc. the nature protector thing kinda does it.

Chua: hobbity mofos but that's purely on looks

Draken: basic orcish archetype

Granok: dunno, really... tempted to say dwarves, tough <REDACTED>s exiled from homeland also earthy vibe

Undead: obvious