1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Awesome new weekly updates - "...merely a setback"

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Blue Skunk, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Blue Skunk

Blue Skunk New Cupcake

So lucky me has been away for a little while and I couldn't wait to get back into the WildStar news - only to find that some of it's olds.

The Jan 18th blog post

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/blog/wildstar_wednesday_meet_the_granok.php

is just a reprint of the Dec 12

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/blog/have_you_met_the_sarge.php
    follow the link to here
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/5895/WildStar-Meet-the-Granok.html

I know this probably sounds petty and trivial to most, but as an avid follower when we only get a once a week update I find it more disappointing to be given a repeat than nothing at all.

Spoiler alerts:
    Tomorrow you can re-read the blog of the Liara interview or you could just go here if you cant wait

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/5904/Meet-the-Aurin.html

Assuming that the trend continues and you still can't wait for some same old info re-read up on Buck

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/5914/Meet-the-Human.html

I really hope that we can get some NEW insight on what is shaping up to be a very impressive product as I really don't want to have to wait 2 more weeks just to come back to see the development of Metal Maw again (awesome as it was, once is enough).

Oh and just for laughs I will 'like' the first posts listing any of the many NPC's I quoted in the title.
  2. souper

souper Founding Member

While I'm not too giddy for 3weeks of reposts, it has to be tough to put out weekly news especially at this stage. They also wanted to make sure everyone saw the interviews, which makes sense.

The uplink for yesterday indicates we should be hearing new things soon enough, possibly about classes if they go by the poll. Looking forward to that.
  3. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

I've noticed that some days the updated isn't coming out on Wednesday but still says it is :p

I know i'm eager to hear more news, but the game is still in the early phases, the fact that they do give us some updates now and then is great. They also seems to care about their community a lot which is a good thing.

I can't wait to see the Metal Maw in action :)
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I'm guessing they're reposting the interviews since they were released just before the holidays and some people might very well have missed it. I've noticed some frustration that we're not getting much new, but I don't feel like we can expect new info this early on, especially not when it comes to game systems, mechanics, classes or races, etc. We still have at least a year to go before launch (at the very earliest), and I'm guessing they don't want to give us anything that isn't more or less A Sure Thing, and it's very likely they're saving certain things for when they have a much bigger following.

That said, this week's Uplink makes me believe we'll get something new in the near future. Personally I've enjoyed the updates up until now, and I know I'll keep enjoying them. I think it's fantastic that they reach out to the community on a weekly basis with the Uplinks and want our opinions and ideas. If they miss a Wednesday update once in a while, or do a repost... it's really not a big deal, we'll get more information in due time. They've certainly given us more to go on in the first 5 months (yes, it's only been 5 months!) than some might have given us in the first year after the announcement.

It might not be Wednesday here when they bring us the updates, but it still is in California, where they are. I can only think of two or three occasions where it's been Thursday there as well when they bring out the WildStar Wednesday update.
  5. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

I've been an active online gamer for over a decade now. I have done closed beta on half a dozen games, open beta on a dozen more. I've seen more games fail than most know exist. The best games, the ones that make it through the beta process and into retail, are the ones where the developers play their cards close to their chest and only release information in fits and dribbles.

In short, the lack of information coming out of Carbine Studios is actually a very good sign. It shows they are being careful and not releasing anything that is still subject to change. It is safe to assume that they are putting the same care into the development process itself.

The information that has been released is nothing short of revolutionary. The way classes are structured, with the emphasis on playstyle rather than tactical role, is a complete and total departure from the old Gygax triangle of Tank-Damage-Healer. This is all new terrain Carbine Studios is mapping out. Doing it right is going to be a slow process. I don't like it, but I respect it and I understand it.

As a writer, if I lived in California I'd be begging to be a part of it.
    Nonsensicles and starspun like this.
  6. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Well, you can talk about things without talking about them. It does not really take a lot to release stuff that is interesting and raise interest in the game. But yeah when we got the second Wildstar Wednesday with a wall of text about how short quest texts should be, my patience ran against a wall :D
    Glad that the recent Wildstar Wednesdays shaped up. Actually, like now, I am looking forward to read them now.