1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Balance

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Silas Jasar, May 3, 2013.

1. Silas Jasar

Silas Jasar Cupcake-About-Town

So as I read a lot of these threads I notice there are a lot of old school, hardcore, and dedicated gamers. So let me preface this by saying I completely respect that, and most the time I would label myself as one as well.

Reading these threads, however, I notice a common trend. They want features that have been dying in the MMO genre for a reason. Attunment quest, non LFG tool or non QUE servers, hardcore OW PVP, nearly impossible to access raids, ect (but they all hate dailies). None of these are a problem on their own but they all point to a common problem.

I believe we have all forgotten we aren't the only ones playing. There are others out there, others far less active than us. They give just as much revenue, as well as having just as much heart, but you won't hear them on the message boards. They don't have the time for that. I understand there are good reasons for some forced time sinks, server communites, rarity of items, ect, but we have to remember end game content outside of solo quest and small easy stuff is just as important to them.

This is not about being lazy or not having skill, its about time. Many MMO gamers started in their teens or childhood with ultima online up to WoW but all those gamers have grown up in the decades since then. They are parents and working adults. Time is far more of an issue now.

I urge you to take this into consideration in future discussion about how you want a game to be played. After all an MMO is made of ALL of the people that play it. I'm not saying there shouldnt be stuff for the addicted gamer spending over 40 hours a week in WildStar but it shouldn't hinder the gamer who can only spend 10 a week at most. Allow them to have just as much fun as those with more time and everyone wins. We shouldnt divide ourselves just because we think they will hold us back, they have just as much to teach as we do them and they temper the community as much as we do. Learn to embrace rather than exile (*snicker*) them. Let them have a taste of the full meal we are having.

I leave you with this.
    [​IMG]
  2. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

thats why most of the suggestions are server options
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I think from what Ive seen , the carbine team knows and is aware of what you are saying and will have enough to attract both . At least thats what I read into it. They want to appeal to the hardcore but also have content that the casual player can get their teeth into.
    I think the path content is actually something that indicates that as well as the fact that they have said they realise that a majority of folks like to do small to solo content.

Folks just get passionate about their playstyle . But I think the carbine team can look past the forest and see the trees and vice versa and all the input theyre getting. At least it looks like that so far.
    Malorak likes this.
  4. Silas Jasar

I agree Rumze. I'm just putting it out there cause the first few pages of a thread are actual good discussion but after a while its starts to loop because one side see it and the other doesn't.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

For the love of my eye's after a days of hard work staring at computer screens can you please! push that ''enter'' button a couple of times? Makes it easier to read :up:

OT:
    True! But then again alot of games are more focused on the masses...which is good for the money making but i felt some serious content lacking for other game-styles.

In WS i feel they tend to focus more on those other different game-styles, then other games do.

This helps contribute some more ''hardcore'' people to really want all those features they so much like or get rid of features they don't like. Indeed untill now they are suggestions. But Carbine has given me the hope that they will manage to make a game for all kinds of different people!

Hardcore - mainstream - masses - Softcore <:cautious: just kidding with this one :p>

All together in one awesome game! Wildstar!
  6. Silas Jasar

Edited just for you lol. (Not the grammar, don't look to close and you won't be offended lol)
  7. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

From your OP I'd say you have a selective reading problem. The hardcore gamers are *nowhere* near this game yet so if a couple of them have indicated they want harder content, all power to em.

Also, don't dictate how I should feel about what I want from my games. When I pay my £8 a month, I'm only interested in the stuff that keeps me and my guildies in game. You should do the same.

(The cartoon was nicely drawn but poorly executed. Hardcore gamers eat in front of the screen)
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  8. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

Once again I like to point out this forum is a very 1% happy place and the "casual" or not hardcore player is in the minority.

A lot of MMO's that look different and look fun at least to me are doing away with someone of the old school elements to a very successful end.

GW2 has an array of brilliant elements even if not the best game.

WoW is very much the old school game that doesn't try hard enough to really change itself (Sadly that game will still be around for a long time even though I think it would be better for blizzard if they just ended it at lvl 100 with a big bang rather than let the game whimper out).

Elder Scrolls which is coming out at im guessing the same time as Wildstar looks really much like a horribly bland wow clone and many elements that were spoiled in its youtube video just put off so many people. Things like kill 10 of x, 3 classes, takes to long to kill 1 easy enemy.

Here's the thing if you want a mmo to last especially one you like its the majority that you need to appeal the most. Things like attunement, 4o man raids are for a very limited audience.
  9. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Since most of the developers are 1%ers they will appeal to the 1% but they are not stupid enough to forget about the 99%. They are going to make a game everyone can play and have fun at least that is what I believe.
    Zilvoran, Mudfin and Kataryna like this.
  10. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

You can't continue to put out a cookie cutter stamped mmo, GW doesn't have traditional end game raiding even though people on their forums asked them for it constantly before the game came out. People still played it and those that wanted that raid style of gameplay didn't and moved on.
    There is obviously a market for the style the devs have talked about, it doesn't need to be for everyone, there are plently of mmo's out there to choose from that fit different people's styles.
  11. Silas Jasar

Not sure how much of this is joking sarcasim and how much is hostility so I'll just try to stay as neutral as possible. The game isn't just for you, its for everyone. Yes you should voice your opinions. I'm just suggesting that you keep in mind that there are others out there without a voice and you should keep them in mind. So if its hostility in the post, be kind and rewind to my orginal post to understand what I'm trying to say.

Side note. What in the world do you consider hardcore?
  12. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

If I come over hostile it's perhaps because I'm sick of re-reading the same thread over and over again.

http://www.wildstar-central.com/ind...u-hardcore-casual-or-somwhere-inbetween.2778/

http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/hardcore-servers-plea.2411/

http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/what-is-hardcore-gaming.2168/

Also, this is the internet. Everyone has a voice. Can you explain who doesn't and why I should keep them in mind?
    Mailroomclerk, Mudfin and Khrusky like this.
  13. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Carbine wants HARD raids that they have said "Not everyone will be successful at them, and we're ok with that!" (which doesn't mean that not everyone can do them...they CAN, they just might not succeed, which is cool! there needs to be that carrot to chase!) Carbine has said "around 65% of players are solo players, and we want to make sure they have stuff to do" and as such are putting in Episodic solo content that will be out *monthly*(at least this is their sincere hope...)

Carbine has listened to the people (like myself) that don't like X-Server LFG and put in a toggle to search your server only - which most of us that don't like the X-LFG are very happy about! This also means that they listened to the people who DO like X-LFG and left it in for them.

I'm pretty sure lots of us here are not the "hardcore" people that you think. I have 2 kids, a husband, a house to take care of, and I babysit up to 3 other children nearly every day. This forums has actually been very very nice and very calm.
  14. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Dont panic and make sure you have a towel.
  15. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Silas I like the post. Although I do agree with Bisquit in that it has been done before in the threads he listed.

Not even close my friend. The Elite Hardcore groups haven't quite made it here yet. Yes their are some that will sprout up from time to time, but they are not here en masse.

I fall into Silas's category of hardcore for this forum but I'm not. I'm a casual time frame player with a hardcore approach to the game.

Silas, I like that you stated it's about time. I understand that is how most people view it, but I see stating time as an excuse. It's really greed or maybe gratification is better. If you ever played MMO's around the EQ time frame you know that todays game do not require the same effort or dedication. Yes many of those things were tedious, fine let's remove some tedium, but don't reduce challenge and effort at the same time. I feel most games have truly become face roll games. I don't have to put any effort into them. GW2 (I like), SWToR, TSW are just a few of the current games that are to simple. I'd put WoW, EQ2, Rift and LotRO on that list too but they at least have challenging PvE endgame.

As to your cartoon. I love it! And I am the Hardcore diner. Do you realize how good that meal tatse after what he went through to get it?
    Calsic, Mailroomclerk and MeakGG like this.
  16. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

or Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb! :)
  17. Silas Jasar

Never hurts to have a reminder, especially since it keeps poping up probably means you didn't really take the last couple to heart. Second, the people who don't have a voice are the ones who don't have time to look for fansites like this one or can't follow games as closely as us and don't know even know WildStar exist yet, to name a few.
  18. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

Casual and Hardcore are adjectives of the past.

My guild will be top on the server spending less than 9 hours a week raiding.

People who don't have "time" want easier content so they can do more in the 20 hours a week they play. They can be lazy.

I believe one game out there... ONE GAME out there can have challenging content. There are a plethora of AAA games that describe what you want, and zero that describe what those so-called 1%ers want. Can we play a game that's different from the rest? Can there be ONE game that's different?

Nobody tells you what you can/can't do. If you have 12 hours a week to play, use that time wisely. Sacrifice this for that this week, and that for this the next. Play how you want, and enjoy the game with the time you have.
  19. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

There's nothing to take to heart. It's a tired, pointless argument where no-one wins.

And why on earth should I consider the thoughts of some theoretical people, who may or may not be casual or hardcore, may or may not have time to google 'wildstar' and who may or may not even play it?

Oh well, at least you didn't do a poll.
    Rogosh and salazar like this.
  20. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Oh now its ON...
    Mudfin likes this.