1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Balance

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Silas Jasar, May 3, 2013.

1. Blegvad

Blegvad Cupcake

The concept is great and it's really interesting to see the lead Dev from an MMO posting on this (relatively small) board at such length.

Wildstar may very well be all things to all people - at least in concept - it's going to be fascinating to see if the MMO community at large is ready for another ride on the carousel.

This really sums it up:

It's VERY refreshing to hear from Devs that know the score not only for their game but for the genre in general. As a former hardcore raider and current "casual" I've got high hopes.
    Mudfin likes this.
  2. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Sometimes I wish I had the ability to save everything I have read; that being said I believe I read one of the W* Devs saying that the Elder game 5man Dungeons are not just a factor of a higher difficulty setting of the same dungeon you went through at level 20; they are areas in the dungeons that are locked out, until you have made Cap.

At level 20 you passed a door that is now open for your level 50.
  3. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Forgive me for trying to make sense and visualize what you said. Do you mean like this? [Excuse the poor paint job]

http://i.imgur.com/bn4SUkJ.jpg
  4. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

In rift it was sorta like your picture. The dungeon is the same, but there is added an extra hallway or cave with an extra boss or 2. That and bosses had a few extra mechanics thrown at them.

It also expanded on the lore within the instance, i sorta imaging this will be similar.
  5. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I was thinking more along the lines of the dungeon is lbrs and at cap you get acess to ubrs ( to use a wow dungeon to visually compare although its not really like that in wow ).
    Most excellent.
  6. Taxt

Taxt New Cupcake

Posts like this are the only reason I'm looking forward to this game so much. +10
    Mailroomclerk likes this.
  7. Jeuraud

Pretty much what I visualized; but being this is Elder game content, these doors might be in the passageway as you have drawn or behind a lower level boss you’re going to need to defeat again (I enjoy kicking ass on something that gave me a rough time the first time, especially if I know there is something else behind them that can again give me a rough time.). The Elder game content could branch out to a new dungeon, or it could whine back to the original dungeon; where you will find more doors to the Elder game content, further in the old dungeon.
  8. Bulk

Bulk New Cupcake

Concerning the 1% philosophy, I'm all for it even if that means there are things I won't get to do. I hope Carbine is able to stick to this when the exodus from Azeroth to Nexus hits though.

However they decide to do it, effort needs to be rewarded in kind. When you are busting your ass on heroic content and the guy standing next to you in LFR gear looks as cool as you do, it's a little disheartening. Personal satisfaction is of course its own reward, but it feels good to have your conquests reflected in game. So if they go the different difficulty route, I will be dissapointed if the only difference in rewards is different statistics on gear.
    Mudfin, Hydros and Mailroomclerk like this.
  9. John

John "That" Cupcake

That is awesome to hear from a developer. That 'magic' aspect is something that is very hard to pin down with a definition since it is so intangible and just kind of a vague 'feeling' about the world. That said, I agree completely with the concept and I love that Carbine is willing to use that approach with game design even though it can't be quantified in a neat little statistic.
    Mudfin and Mailroomclerk like this.
  10. Jeuraud

This is a matter of opinion. I might look at the two of you and think you both look like gosa; also as of right now there is no LFR, just LFD. Something else that W* is going to have is Costumes, and the ability to color (tri-color?) each piece of gear (Which might be why I think you both look like gosa.)
    Last but not least, I hope like hells W* does not have an /inspect; it’s none of your <REDACTED>ing business what the stats of my equipment is. If you want to know, then you should have to <REDACTED>ing ask me :sneaky: .
  11. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

I can't properly express how true this is for me. I love raiding and was a part of it for a long time as everything from the new guy coming in mid expansion, the raider in a struggling guild, to the raid lead in a current tier progression guild, and it actually made me sad to not have that feeling of "if we work hard the next week/month/generic period of time based on current progression I can finally see X." once I was doing current tier content, and then that feeling totally vanished once LFR was a thing. Though there was harder content and I still sorta wanted to do it I just really didn't care as much because I'd seen the "epic" place that wasn't so epic feeling anymore. The feeling of somewhere and something outside your grasp but someday reachable is so important.
    Mudfin, John and Mailroomclerk like this.
  12. Bainik

Totally disagree about inspect. I hate seeing cool gear walking around and not be able to look at it. Also, from a recruiter's point of view, it's a royal pain to not be able to judge if the person has a clue in hell how to build their character or has put in the effort to do it correctly. I understand where the problem can arise when things that over-summarize gear become widely available (oh dear god, avg ilvl stat and gearscore in WoW) but only because they oversimplify the picture and detail that suggests the level of personal investment in your play is lost. The guy who built his character entirely wrong but has nice gear is favored over the guy who has every socket and enchant in place and has clearly taken grate care with their character, and at least in my experience the latter is much more likely to be a good player. Inspect doesn't have that problem.
  13. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Simple solution - make inspect toggle to Friends / Guild / Circles only - you can select if only friends/guild/circle can see (so if you select more than 1 then it opens it to both).

If you're trying to get into a guild you may have to show them, but PUGs not so much (depending on who it is).

Personally I base how good someone is off of you know, how good they are.... I couldn't care less if someone stats completely wrong if they do the most damage in the game - it obviously works for them. I can them give them advice/tips later.
  14. Jeuraud

Inspect has the problem of being invasive; a question is also invasive, but there are two aspects of it that are not a part of inspect.
    1. You have to have the boulders to ask me the question.
    2. I can answer the question or not; and depending on how I feel, but mostly how you asked the question, dictates what my answer is ;) .

So even though I’m a Soloer; asking a question of me is part of the social aspects of an MMO that I do not mind.
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Wouldn't really matter if there wasn't an in-game /inspect, there would be armory mods or websites to show that stuff anyway, it would just mean tabbing out rather than r-clicking in-game.
    The foundation of the game should make those situations rare anyway.
  16. Bainik

I don't understand your aversion to having people able to see your gear. Can you help me see how it's different from, say, someone looking at what clothes you're wearing walking down the street? If they want to give every socket and enchant (or whatever the analogue will be) a visually distinct effect it would be the same as having an inspect feature as far as what people can tell about your gear without your consent and is directly analogous.
  17. Jeuraud

/Inspect is like you using a high quality infrared camera to look at me with.
    I.e. the FLIR system on my birds could provide some very detailed image and very personal data (The image was kind of personal but the personal data that could be collected was a lot more invasive.), and you could do this without the person being viewed having a clue that it was happening. The Navy had to set up specific guidelines on operation and maintenance of this system while the bird was on the deck.

edit: all ready said this.
  18. Hydros

Hydros Cupcake

I would have to say that what killed WoW raiding for me was the difficulty selection option. I mean were is the magic if you knew that lets say Illidan (Back in BC WoW) the main antagonist of that expansion was being killed by PuGs formed in LFR or that he was being killed in a "normal" difficulty, hes supposed to be a legendary character, that only a few should be able to challenge, completely defeating the purpose of raiding at least for me.

This time around I won't be able to play as much as when I was in college, but I will definitely raid and get as far as I can, and if I don't get to see a lot of content because it is extremely hard, then I'll be more than happy to know that there is something for me to strive for :).
    Calsic, John and Mailroomclerk like this.
  19. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

You guys should start an appearance thread.

*Blows Alphorn*

Thank you Wildstar for not focusing on my Grandma in your MMO.

Who is "everyone" and what is the "1%" anyways? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110807201556AAHfdUr

Some people will play Wildstar and others will not. If you play Wildstar and continue to play it because you like it, you're 100% of the community.

This model may sound crazy but trust me, it worked. I have never had more things to do as a solo/smaller group content player than I ever did in Vanilla WoW. Let's just say end game solo content didn't take a day* to complete.

*I'm rounding up lol
  20. Feliun

Feliun Cupcake

What Jeremy has said here, gives me a sign of relief. I think his philosophy of how Elder game should be is bang on! As one of the leaders of my Guild, I can't wait to see how this all fits together with a large group of people, who are split between PVP, Elder game and Solo, it should make for interesting times!

Roll on Wildstars release I say.
    Caimie likes this.