1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Balance

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Silas Jasar, May 3, 2013.

1. Kylari Squeak

Kylari Squeak Cupcake

This makes me happy...why?

Because while I like endgame - that is, lets find more stuff, learn more story,. explore more new places - I hate raiding. Not on principle ( though there's some of it - bad experiences largely involved in the timesink it tends to be and the hypercompetitive attitudes of most raiders and PvPers at that level ) but mostly its because I simply don't enjoy raiding, and many MMOs seem to think that come endgame unless you intend to grind grind grind thats about all you can hope for. The thinking seems to be story content is for raiders , and that's that, thank you very much and if your'e not into raiding well, you're screwed. WoW I think handles this best with their expansions, most other games not so much.

The idea that theres a real chance to dig into story content as a solo ( I play at odd hours and almost never for more than one or two hours at length) makes me a Very Happy Player indeed.
    Feliun, Aresk, Rumze and 2 others like this.
  2. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

You are the 65%!

How does it feel to be so well represented in this 9 page thread? Funny how Internet forums work isn't it.
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  3. Eldryth

Eldryth Cupcake

The whole post was interesting, but I think this is what really excites me. I've never really been able to explain my issues with GW2 and other recent games, and why I hate LFR so much. I think it's a combination of this and the fact that no game feels like a compelling world anymore, like WoW used to. So if you nail having Nexus feel like, well, Nexus, it sounds like Wildstar really will be the perfect game for me!

Also, that mention of "weekly competitions for legendary gear"- is that new? I remember reading about changing dungeons and weekly leaderboards, but nothing about legendary gear tied to them. This sounds awesome!
    Mudfin, Zilvoran and Rumze like this.
  4. Voldeth

Voldeth New Cupcake

Post was a good read. The only issue I have is whether or not they can actually deliver on what it is they're saying. It's all very well & good to talk about creating difficult content that makes others want to get there but we haven't actually seen anything in Wildstar yet that can be considered 'difficult'. I understand that the scope of the information that's been released so far is limited to the lower levels and I certainly don't expect that to be 'challenging' but at some point we're going to need to see this difficult content - tested by players with the type of experience that can assert whether or not the content is truly challenging.

I was left unimpressed by the reviews I read in reference to the first dungeon (which, again, I understand was lower level content) however, since this is the only type of group content that we can discuss, I certainly didn't read anything that made me feel like it was challenging (on the contrary, stuff like being able to run back in after dying was quite worrisome in reference to potential difficulty).

I'd also argue that while it's correct to say that the '1%ers' are vocal, so are the casual users who will complain if content is too difficult. I've read that Wildstar's approach is to make sure that the story isn't being tied to the raids and the hope being that this will make the more casual users not feel like they're missing out on content. I'd argue that this is naive - so long as there's content that people can't access, they'll be people complaining about that content (the money I spent on the game is the same money you spent, etc). I'd love to hear some information on how the design team will handle this. Past developers have tended to 'nerf' the content to appease users - the only distinction between studios has been when they're nerfing the content (some nerf right away, others wait some time). The post suggests that Wildstar will not be directly nerfing content but allowing players to overcome the hurdles that prevented them from beating the content just by the nature of MMOs (you eventually get better gear, levels, etc) which allows you to beat the content.
  5. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

The being able to run back in after dying was only there for demonstration purposes. Which means that it actually was pretty challenging, since the each died multiple times.

Creating difficult content for top players is easy, it's the journey to that content that's the hard balancing act. We'll see their harder content closer to release.
  6. Bulk

Bulk New Cupcake

Of course it's a matter of opinion. Isn't that what we are doing here, giving our opinions?

I was trying to make a point about a raid system where there are different difficulty settings for a given raid using WoW as an example. The current WoW model allows for everyone to experience content with minimal effort through LFR, which is essentially the lowest difficulty setting. That's cool, casuals get to "raid", see all the content and get loot.

But what's in it for the people spending serious time and effort to down heroic content? Aside from the satisfaction of besting the hardest content in the game, the actual in game rewards are essentially the same. True you get access to mounts and titles not available in LFR but the item models are the same.

I believe Carbine has already stated that there will be normal/hard modes for dungeons and raids. I just hope the rewards reflect the time effort and skill involved in beating each difficulty. To me that means more than different colors of the same item models.
  7. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Your argument is moot; there is no LFR (Which I also stated in the post you quoted.), and there is no indication that the W* Devs are going to install a LFR. In fact Jeremy Gaffney said this
    just recently (His full post has been ported to this thread.). There is no indication in his post that they are going to simplify the content at all; from what I read they are going to allow time to simplify the content.

This is a W* forum, not a WoW forum. It’s fine to use other MMOs as a reference, but it serves no purpose to argue an aspect of another MMO, which has been pointed out to not be an aspect of W*.
  8. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

There will be no LFR, and there will be single difficulty **raids only. This has already been confirmed by devs. Dungeons will have two difficulty levels.
  9. Bulk

Bulk New Cupcake

Where can I find this information? the last I heard about dungeon/raid difficulties was the Pax East panel where I thought I heard two difficulties. That was dungeons only?

The last I heard about LFR was also at Pax East where one Dev said hell no in the Pokket interview, and Gaffney said maybe, maybe not during the panel Q and A.

I hope Jeuraud and MeakGG are right, so I can quit worrying about it. :D
  10. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I asked about the dungeon difficulty in another thread, and I still think there is some confusion at least on my part....or, there isn't any confusion, its just being stated in a way that is open to interpretation.

Edit - In the other thread, what I got from the response was.

levels 1-49 "normal" difficulty

level 50 "heroic" difficulty.

So, ya...you could say that thats technically "2 difficulty levels"
  11. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Single difficulty raids get me giddy. If tuned quickly they're awesome. You got a source for that though?
  12. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that publicly before. If not, it's a reveal :) We have IMO a lot to do still on raiding, we have some epic maps/encounters/etc. and some cool loot but it needs a lot of playtesting and tuning and being able to both implement all the encounters and raid-specific systems, make sure the dynamic elements are good and not annoying, and having enough players in there of that level that we can start doing the "world's best weekly" stuff and have it feels like it matters.

So it's a particularly good area for feedback (as are all elder game thangs) because there is still implementation and iteration to come, especially as our playerbase legitimately levels up enough to test it well (dumping random testers in there who haven't played their classes at a high level before gives some testing info, but honestly not much - there's such a huge difference between them and "real" normally skilled level 50s and then another huge jump between those and the truly elite raiders who have coordinated together for years).

The parts we're pretty secure on, especially philosophically, are the ones we talk about publicly*, but of course things will change through beta (that's what it's there for).

-jg
    *and I'm sure we'll get some of that wrong anyways as historically few plans exactly survive contact with users in an iterative dev environments :D
    Dysp, Zilvoran, Rumze and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

You did talk about it a little before. My main concern is - is it going to make it too easy for someone who has a good week, then they're just going to keep winning because they have better gear?

Are there plans to counter that or to spread the love?

Aka ranking being changed based off of your gear, so if you do the same in less gear then you get a higher score.
  14. morroIan

morroIan New Cupcake

Great post, in one fell swoop you've raised my interets in this game by a lot. I just hope you can achieve it.
  15. Clockwork

Clockwork New Cupcake

I hope they stay firm to this perspective.
    Taxt and Underz like this.