1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Be aware of "Way To Get Free Wildstar Beta Keys" scams

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Rufk, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufk

Rufk Cupcake

I know most of you guys are savvy enough to not fall for this kind of stuff in 2013, but I'm sure there are some inexperienced really wanting to play Wildstar that will fall and get infected.

Basically the video tells you to go to a site and download a beta code generator for wildstar, which is really a encrypted virus (Meaning that your antivirus won't pick it up as a threat). Another method I just found is that they make you go to a site and just insert your e-mail. I'm sure they send a link back with a virus. That video has like 4k views. and more likes than dislikes... I don't even...

If you search "Way To Get Free Wildstar Beta Keys" and "Wildstar Beta Gameplay [Beta Key Giveaway]" over YouTube you will find these videos. Please flag them before they get more views and newbies infected.
    Aheadache likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

If people in these times still fall for those......well i don't really feel that sorry for them....guess those guys are in the catagorie of ''have to learn it the hard way'' :D
  3. Rufk

Rufk Cupcake

Yeah but these scams always get a handful of people infected which amazes me but I try to get in the shoes of other people that are not really used to the internet. It really sucks getting infected with a R.A.T... I would never wish it to anyone.. It just sucks balls.
  4. Rufk

Rufk Cupcake

They haven't been removed yet and there is a new one uploaded 2 hours ago. "How to Get Wildstar Beta Keys! - Tutorial"

This is sad
  5. Zaekath

Zaekath New Cupcake

I wonder if this is part of an elaborate Pay it Forward Week stunt.

By compromising these people's computers, it effectively removes their ability to play WildStar, thereby improving the critical thinking of the community as a whole!
    vicksen likes this.
  6. expendability

expendability Cupcake

*puts on his tinfoil hat*

DUN DUN DUnNnnnnN....
    vicksen likes this.
  7. Xo1o

Xo1o Cupcake

I'm reporting these vids wherever I see them. At least the report function works properly on YT
    Rufk likes this.
  8. Rufk

Rufk Cupcake

[​IMG]

Yes, but the videos have been up for months with views and likes. I don't know how they do it (probably bought the likes/comments/views). It really makes it believable for a moment.

Please guys take a time to flag the videos.
  9. Ron

Ron New Cupcake

LOL! I remember the time I got my SWTOR Beta email from BW. It came to my normal email and knowing of the beta scams I actually sent the email and link back to BW asking if this was legitimate or a scam. At least I thought I would help someone not get hit with it. I got a reply within a couple hours saying it was authentic. :D Better safe than sorry.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Those who get taken by that obvious trap, deserve it.
    Those who designed it and are taken advantage of peoples stupidity, i can't believe that still works brings back memories of early game days with hoaxes as "change your pass into freegold and you'll get free gold!".

This is not some ransomware attached to a visiting a site by accident, this is inviting a worm with open arms on your computer as you make the choice to install or watch it. Also a name worthy anti virus should pick this up as it does with ransomware with web protection.
    So feeling sympathy for those is not a feeling that occurs to me, i wonder can we see this as some sort of internet Darwinism, but they can't really die out like the Neanderthals, so perhaps it's even better that they learn about that big bad internet side this way than losing a few k of their currency to more sophisticated methods.

I liked that video, the amusing accent and of course the schadenfreude factor.

*whistles...if you wanna be dumb you gotta be tough...*
  11. Rufk

Rufk Cupcake

You need to get in the shoes of someone that doesn't spend countless hours in games or on the internet and is really excited to play the game. I'm trying to aware those lurkers and also get more people to flag the videos for sake of decency.

Now, I would feel the same way as you if these people were trying to cheat the system(downloading hacks). But I don't think this is the case.
  12. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

Darwinism... say hello to Karma.
  13. Artefact

Artefact Cupcake

I'm glad you created this thread because I didn't know if there was already one.
    As I don't have Facebook or Twitter accounts, it's difficult to tell Wildstar_Team you found (surely many others already reported them) dangerous websites and videos involving leaks, beta keys giveaway, and even business around buying and selling keys.
    Wildstar is THE game our community is waiting for to enjoy, and we have to protect it from this kind of people and behaviour.
    I post the links to the sites and vids I found, so if someone can report them to Wildstar Team on FB or Twitter, it will be great. I put the www like this "w ww" so there won't be direct links to them in this post. I hope our moderators will understand.

<Mod Monocle> Removed links. If you wish to report malicious links, please do so by PMing a Mod or sending an e-mail to theredphone@carbinestudios.com </Mod Monocle>

Thank you very much
    Rufk likes this.
  14. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

I fix computers as a side occupation of mine, generally people that aren't well aware in this let common sense dictate them that if something is for free and it's too good to be true on the web, it's a scam.

Those people are trying to cheat the system as they think they are smarter than others waiting for a key and believe they can bypass that all by illegally obtaining a key.

Key generators are not know for providing access legitimately to software. They are mentioned in the same category as cracks and hacks regarding to this. And those are things even 50 year old customers of me know.

elaborate?
  15. Rufk

Rufk Cupcake

It's not only a beta key generator but "give aways" that only request your email in a site that has a nice layout and a Wildstar .com domain(I'm guessing they send you a nice email with the Carbine layout with a code and a link to the "game downloader"..). I think that's enough gimmick to manipulate someone's common sense. Again you and I or the 50 year old guy won't ever fall because we have been there many times but you need to realize that a ton of people following this game are dying to get their hands on some gameplay time and aren't so clever yet. A lot of people think they can rely on their AV(I don't blame them). It has nothing to do with age to be honest.

I's horrible having someone inside your PC that can spy on your and pull all your files and passwords. I don't wish it to anyone... and again I think Carbine needs to take some kind of action against these scams for sake of decency.
  16. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Fighting these scams is a waste of time, for one trying to block or remove content like that on sites or even popular video hosts like youtube is impossible task.
    To remove such content takes hours to days, if at all it is removed. Meaning it served its purpose even being up for a short time span.
    Asking youtube or others to filter out such content before it's uploaded will simply make them laugh at you as again that's an impossible task. They won't pre-filter content like that. (Not to mention the backlash if YT ever tried that). Let's say they do that, only tackles one host of the many channels they can use, as effective as getting rid of a few drops in a storm.

The other half is informing those people, generally those people aren't the ones that check emails at regular intervals and aren't know for being up to date regards to latest developments security wise, so again that effort would be going to waste.

The "victim" gave up willingly his information on a dubious site, Now if this was a scam targeting directly all users email addresses of a fan related website you would see them sending out a warning, this is not the case they are creating the problem they are in.

And so far i know stupidity can't be cured.
  17. Maurodax

Maurodax Cupcake

Sad.. all i say.. but i have to agree abit with Extatica.. if they still fall for it in this day and age, well.. i think it would be better for them to learn it the hard way than to just go with the flow i suppose...
  18. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

<Admin Hat> Okay, let's not give these people any more exposure than they have to have. I've sanitised this thread and it's being locked. Only Carbine issue keys at this time. </Admin Hat>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.