1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Bellaby's Identity Crisis! : Class Roles for Convenience or Personal Enjoyment?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Bellaby, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Hi nuggets, I'm writing to you all today to discuss a problem that has plagued me for quite a long time, and I feel others may have suffered from as well, and that problem is choosing the role that's right for you.

I have been playing MMOs for a while, due to my love for meeting new and interesting people, and the sense of camaraderie that stems from group-content. And when I first started with World of Warcraft many years ago, I wanted to be a healer.
    Now my reason for healing comes from a very big part of me that dislikes harming others, and would rather help people, so healing seemed a logical choice.

Now at first I was a bit alarmed at all the fuzzy creatures I had to slay for the hundreds of vicious NPC bullies out there, but I got around this by simply playing in a group setting and providing support. Then came the end-game.

As soon as I hit level cap, I hit a brick wall. Suddenly, it was difficult to find groups. Everyone was looking for a tank, and healers were aplenty (especially with all hybrid class being forced into healer roles back then) and much better geared than I, and so I was faced with a dilemna.

Do I continue doing what I love at the expense of frustrating waits for groups, or do I sacrifice maximum enjoyment for the ability to progress?

So come the Burning Crusade expansion, I rolled a Protection Paladin, and began tanking. Over the years, I played other MMOs, and I played WoW when the LFD was released, and the problem was never assuaged, healers (and DPS of course), were always readily available(This is of course my experience, so please oh please don't be offended by this!).

So I stayed a tank. For seven years now I have tanked when my true passion has always been healing(I almost exclusively heal in FPS/Action oriented games, TF2, PS2, GA).

Has anyone else felt pushed into a class or role due to population issues?(Another thing I hear quite often are people refusing to play a class due to it being Underpowered, or alternatively, too common)

With the utmost love and devotion,
    Ashelyn Bellaby III esq. Ph.D
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I always played a class that suited me most. This has changed several times over the years, from dps to healing to tanking and back to dps to healing. Classes mechanics changes over times, so do you.

Being part of a raiding team meant I wasn't allowed to change whenever I wanted though. And I understand why that was wasn't allowed, mainly because in my guild I put that rule there myself, haha.
    I changed my (main) class when it was the right time to do so. When changing my class didn't have a negative effect on progression. Like after an expansion or big patch. This was alright for everyone to do at that time of course. It created small problem which recruiting new classes/members would solve just that.

So within limits, play what you like to play. I prefer having a player in my guild that is happy with his or her class then one that feels forced to play in a certain way and doesn't have fun. In the end, it's only a game.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well after a long time I finaly had a main (took me long enough), and it was a druid :p (with WoW)

I love tanking and healing the most, I prefer to be a tank in PvE and a healer in PvP (but I do play both of them in PvE and PvP).
    So I never had a (real) problem in the beginning with that, although my realm was short on healer aswell strangely. When I entered a raiding guild it all changed, it was a time we lacked some serious druid players. So ofcourse, it all came to me...

Example Ulduar: First 4 bosses I was Feral cat Dps druid, then a tank left, so the next 3 bosses I was druid tank and we got a dps replacement, next a tank came online but a mage had to leave, so I specced to boomkin for another few bosses. And then sometimes they wanted me to be a healer aswell.

I'm one (mayby one of the few) of those people that just had 1 character but instead of having all kind of Alts I had all kind of gears just for the raiding and PvPing.
    Resto arena gear
    Feral arena gear
    Boomkin arena gear
    Tank Raid gear
    Boomkin raid gear
    Feral raid gear
    Resto raid gear

And all those gear were good enough to raid Ulduar with (when Ulduar was the highest raid).

My heart said to me Stay tank for raiding, and resto for arena. But my guild said BE EVERYTHING :p

Worst part came when the Guild leaders (who I became good friends with), said that I was the guild <REDACTED>....:cautious: But strangely enough everyone knew me, everyone knew what I could do, and people often asked questions about druids to me because apparently I knew all about them.

So while mayby I didn't prefer the class they wanted me to be, I did enjoy all the attention and thankses that came after the respeccs (4-5 respeccs a day....).

So it was a question of what I liked most :D

Gimme attention!!!! :rolleyes:
    Bellaby and Veckna like this.
  4. ThePandason

ThePandason Cupcake

When I started playing MMO's, I was raked into player a healer. My friends all jumped on the close/ranged dps and turned to me saying, "but we need a healer?" From there I really grew to enjoy being the pesky fly in PvP that keeps you from killing your target :) Naturally that transitioned to the, "omg 1337 healz" in PvE.

So I've definitely felt pressured to play a certain class in MMO's, but it's purely towards fulfilling my overall goal of having a group of people I enjoy playing with. In the case of my friends, I'd rather play support to create a cohesive group that can succeed on it's own as opposed to bing dependent on an unknown variable.

That's the reason I play Massivly Multiplayer games. Teamwork and social interaction.
    Mat'hir Uth Gan and Bellaby like this.
  5. Taters

Taters Cupcake

I have often rolled classes that weren't necessarily my favorite for the sake of a group. It's a great way to contribute but can certainly make the game less enjoyable.

I'm excited for the potential of a dual spec class that is ranged dps/tank. That is an uncommon combo and one I could play for ages.
  6. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I usually play the class I am most comfortable (have the most fun playing).

Though I have recently started to make alts to help with team composition in team based pvp.

I hope that having different specs I can switch to on the fly I can cut down on that. Then my alts will just be me testing out different play types and experience the story in different ways.
  7. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

When I started out it was as dps, I was a bloodthirsty youngster and liked to see huge numbers pop up on my screen as well as one shotting mobs/players. I was also more into the 1v1 PvP rather than group so dps suited me better there too.
    As I got to experience other aspects through alts I also found I enjoyed tanking and healing, more importantly understanding those roles and how the classes worked made me a far better player in all 3 roles as I could anticipate better what problems other players would have/how they were likely to react.

With MMO's after WoW I tended to main whatever role our group (always moved onto MMO's with close group of 5-8 mates I'd known from WoW) needed and grew to enjoy the responsibility of tanking and the constant vigilance of healing more.
    I guess that coincided with me outgrowing 'being a dick' in PvP (ie wiping the floor with some poor guy then mocking them mercilessly) where I got more satisfaction out of group fights and stopping other guys 'being dicks' to my guys :D With age comes wis...er pacifism in my case I guess :whistling: (although relapses on dps alts are fairly common).

As of now I've found I really don't mind so much what role I play, far more important to me are the people I play with as they bring the greatest part of the fun. If I'm going to be involved in group PvP my preference is more towards healing/tanking but it's not a dealbreaker for me by any stretch of the imagination.

TLDR: I'm easy!
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  8. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

HEALING IS THE BEST.

I play healers not because I get pressured to, but just because it's my favourite role in a group. I just love healing the <REDACTED> out of stuff.

Bellaby, I had a similar experience to you :p. When I played WoW, there were a lot of Priests on my server, so I wasn't in huuuuuuge demand. When I played on a different server with a friend I rolled a Warrior since tanking is my second-favourite role, but it turns out on THAT server, there's few Priests and lots of Warriors! FML! :p

I feel that one should always play the class they want for personal enjoyment. If I'm 'forced' to play a class I don't want to just because of peer pressure or something; then that's no longer fun for me (note that this isn't necessarily true for other people, though - just me ^^).
  9. Bellaby

I was a resto Shaman, and like 100% of Shaman were resto back then : (

But I have always ended up falling to Paladin-esque classes that could tank AND heal, because like a few of you said, I love to PvP as a healer!

My real hope is that with the action oriented game-play and limited action sets of Wildstar, we'll see more tanks, and then maybe I can be a healer without feeling too guilty...
  10. clack

clack New Cupcake

Yeaaaahh, I played a resto shaman too. Fun stuff.

I feel like population might have more to do with it, especially in a Looking for Dungeon setting. But in my experience, I'd rather choose my own healer than get matched up with someone who may or may not cut it. I imagine that since you've extensively played both the tank and heal roll, you understand both sides, making you better at both.

Anyways, my point is, your skill level can make you more desirable, even among a massive population of heals. Plus you seem like a nice person that would be fun to group with. I'd much rather group with you than some weirdo leaving weiners and swears all over everything. :p
    Bellaby likes this.
  11. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I always say play what you enjoy. My raid team had the same stipulation in WoW that Black Wolf mentioned just to prevent a stalling of progression when we wanted to continue raiding.

I also agree that your play style may change as you progress in games. I played a druid in EQ1 and LOVED the feeling of kiting groups of NPCs around and blowing them up with fire spells. Now move through a few more games and onto WoW. I played a rogue from vanilla through WotLK and an enhancement shaman when I came back after Cata until the dps monk in MoP. I fell in love with in your face melee and spellcasting started boring me.

Now after that long-winded explanation. I still say, play what you like or what is important to you. I for one would rather wait for longer groups and be happy with the character that I play than play a class or role I do not truly enjoy just to progress further. But then, that's me.
    Bellaby likes this.
  12. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

Because of living in a very difficult timezone to find other people to live with I took what was best to be able to adapt example Druid in WoW. I really did enjoy my time as a generalist but really it was all I knew because it was the best viable option at the time.

Now that I live in a timezone that it is easier to find people I find that I choose more of a damage/healing/debuffing option (example Disc Priest focusing on atonement healing (WoW), choloromancer/archon soul (Rift) or something like the rune priest/shaman (WAR)).

I think it comes down to three factors:
    1. Do you want to play with others?
    2. How many people are available when you are playing?
    3. Are you having fun what you are doing?

It sounds like you gain a great deal of your enjoyment from these games in helping others so I would suspect that playing with the people you enjoy playing with would be more meaningful for you than what role you play.

This is something that I have had to accept is that I do not think that there will be a character who can do healing and tanking in Wild Star. I think the up shot of this is that everyone will be able to be either a tank or a healer as well as a damage dealer.

I just hope that there is a way of equipping both roles easily. I personally am tired of carrying around three or four different sets of gear, which you have to collect and upgrade.
    Bellaby likes this.
  13. clack

clack New Cupcake

This might be a topic for another thread, but have we heard anything about talents or specializations? I struggled in early WoW because I went broke changing talents so often. The dual-spec feature was an awesome addition in my opinion. It really helped those who liked fulfilling those support roles, and also spent time soloing as well.
  14. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

So far as I know, there is a talent system, but no details about it at all. It could be a tree design (early WoW/SWTOR), line progression (GW2), or some other, unknown design.

It looks like you'll be able to swap abilities on the fly, though, so you should be able to flip from dps to heals mid-dungeon.
    clack and Bellaby like this.
  15. Bellaby

I actually enjoy the tree system, it allows for a more unique character.
  16. clack

clack New Cupcake

I hope there is freedom, and ease when it comes to swapping talents. I loved experimenting with different builds for different situations, and I feel like I learned a lot of class mechanics that way. There used to be some really awesome hybrid builds for Warlock in the Burning Crusade era of WoW, but for some reason they decided to navigate away from that talent model.
  17. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I first started as a warrior tank because my friend who introduced my to WoW back in vanilla told me that everybody needs me, and so I did play a warrior tank until the end of TBC, not because I liked it but because everybody else wanted me to. I did not enjoy it, not one bit, but in Wotlk I decided I would play a mage, and I did, and I loved being DPS. All the big numbers, all the CC, and all the competition in the damage meters, it was a good experience. Then came Cataclysm and I decided the ways of the light were more suited to me, and then I embraced healers in all their classes and worked on perfecting my methods no matter the class in my new healing role. So now, I am a healer in heart, but I do miss the DPS days. I guess in the end I will play a healer in main spec and a DPS in offspec.
  18. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

I usually stick with hybrid classes, something that can tank/DPS as well. I mainly enjoy DPSing, but if I get to the end game and I am in a guild I like, and we need a tank, I'll roll a tank. I dont mind switching for people I enjoy playing with. I dont know why, but I cant stand playing a healer in anything other than TF2. It's just not me.
  19. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I've played so many different classes over the years. I started in any RPG as a warrior type (and that's generally what I roll when I start up a new game). I was a Teras Kasi in SWG, then I tried to play a Warlock in WoW but I never figured out how to play her, so I rerolled as a warrior. I've always loved the Warrior class in MMOs.

But when I played Rift, one of my friends wanted to play a tank type, so I made a Cleric. The AoE grinding macro was so ridiculous that I had fun. I did a decent job at healing and could tank or DPS depending on what everyone else did.

Then came SWTOR. Everyone else already had their class set in stone. Except I was the only person in my guild that was willing to play Smuggler. So I played a Scoundrel. I had never played a stealth nuker before and it was a lot of fun. I had Imperials re-roll to Operatives cause I was owning them so hard in Warzones.

In short, I usually play whatever my friends/guild need. If I'm not a part of one come launch, I'll play a warrior.
    Celtkhan likes this.
  20. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

I used to love Rogue/stealth classes, and I still do, but I remember the moment I flipped over to a tank player. My guild in WoW had a terrible shortage of tanks, and I was impressed when I saw the wacky things a tank could survive in dungeons. I was always a strong believer in playing your class as you intended to play it, so I leveled as Protection spec. I never really understood the complaint people had about tanks levelling slow; any extra time it took me to kill something was made up by the fact that I had almost zero downtime. Anyway, it was fun, but not any more fun than my rogue.

Then Burning Crusade hit. I took my rogue into Hellfire Peninsula, and I quickly learned that I could take on two helboars if I blew all my cooldowns and fought smart. Sometimes. Most times, I had to either Vanish or die. Then I took my warrior in. I still remember looking at a group of three helboars and wondering "can I handle that?"

So I charged. I was holding my own, took one of them down, and another joined in. I keep fighting, pop a couple cooldowns, switch to Defensive Stance. Another goes down, another joins in. I'm getting a little worried at this point; the next couple minutes pass in a frenzy of thrashing, yelling, stomping, Cleaving, bandaging, and Shield Blocking. When it was over, I was still standing surrounded by a carpet of hyperagressive demon-tainted pork product, and I just had to yell:

I AM A TANK!