1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Bellaby's Identity Crisis! : Class Roles for Convenience or Personal Enjoyment?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Bellaby, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Lyli

Lyli New Cupcake

I've been a bit here and there on WoW especially.

I started out as a feral druid, going cat and trying to kill things for most of Classic and Burning Crusade, then in Wrath I was more or less forced by my raid group to go healing and I found out I really loved healing and remained with that. In between, I had several DPS characters, all of them ranged and/or casters. (The bane of my life, Warrior, Rogue and Death Knight)

I never really gave tanking a fair try, I usually end up stressing over doing a bad job, tunnel focusing, losing aggro, letting someone die because of my poor job as a tank... :(

Recently, with Mists of Dailyria, I tried out Monk and have been rocking the melee WindWalker spec, though I'm trying out both tanking and healing recently simply because I'm tired of missing my queues after 40+ minutes of waiting and me being afk...

Generally as a healer, if I feel like I'm not skilled enough, not geared enough or both, I'll try my hand at DPSing

I'm still hoping to see how abilities and combat in general will flow in WildStar, I'd love to give healing a try, especially with Espers. I'm also very curious about the last two classes they've yet to announce (Here's hoping for PAX answers!) I'm going to assume that one can be healer and the other tank... I'm sure that'll be mixing up my current plans on what to try out and play at first... :cool:
  2. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

Great story! Feel like I was watching it!
  3. AltF4

AltF4 New Cupcake

I've always started as DPS in most of my MMOs, since I was always very concerned about letting a group down after my first PUG experience through Deadmines back in Vanilla WoW. I swore I would never tank or heal - too much pressure! After hauling both a rogue and mage up to max level, I decided to give healing a try and ran a feral/resto druid for a while and really enjoyed the experience of keeping everyone up and running from the fringe of the battle. Tanking has never really spoken to me as a player, either in video or tabletop games. But if I can make the transition from DPS-only to DPS/Heals, who's to say I won't eventually become a competent tank?
  4. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

I think everyone is pretty much saying play what you enjoy and I have to agree. Also, now my story.

I played a rogue all through vanilla WoW and didn't really do much with him. When I heard TBC was coming out I knew I wanted to raid hardcore like my friends did. So I re-rolled on my friends server and went to level up a blood elf paly since everyone was going to want one. Going in blind I ended up loving it, all of it. Prot aoe grinded to 70, then took my hodge-podge collection of cloth mail and plate healing gear and went holy. Ended up being the best holy paly on our tiny server and going 4/6 SWP. Ahhh the good old days.

Play what you like with the people you like.
  5. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I'm a tank at heart, but man, do I love guns! Give me a ranged tank and I'll buy all your stuff, then give you free money.
    Joukehainen and Deltre like this.
  6. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I started out as a DPS, but my class had a healy side to it (BM in AC1 for those familiar), so I did a bit of both back before you needed a dual spec or an ability wheel for those sorts of things :cool: When I started WoW at launch, I was a warlock. When I first started raiding the early stuff, my guild had a shortage of healers and I had leveled up a druid. They convinced me to heal, and I tried it out and I was hooked. I'll be the first to admit, that while I love and expect a well-managed team of healers, I still get a rush off the big save :p

I know I'm going to love Wildstar, but I am curious how I will feel about healing, as I actually enjoy managing heal bars via the UI while dealing with being mobile for environmental stuff. I'm not quite sure how it's going to work in Nexus or if it will fit me. But if I were to change, it would be for tank.. I really like reacting to the battle, rather than hitting big shiny numbers - those big numbers are 100% necessary, but I learned early, they are not how I like to fit with my team.
  7. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

I mainly roll for preference, but in a couple situations where I've rolled for personal preference I was really made to regret it. Competent healers and support classes were low in population and fun to play, but tanks were a dime a dozen.

It really depends on what the player milieu ends up looking like. Since WS is a new game we won't know what class(es) will be in higher demand than others from the get-go, so I can't really plan ahead in that regard.
  8. Scrapple

Scrapple Cupcake

Well I would say play what you would enjoy playing the most. Don't let other people steer you away from what you enjoy. Plus with the Raid sizes that's gonna be introduced with this game Healers will be needed badly IMO. I play a Tank in all the MMO's I ever played why cause that's what I love to play. Plus a great Healer is a Tanks best Friend :D
    Bellaby likes this.
  9. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

I play what I like, and I normally like CC/Buff/Debuff types of classes for groups, which normally isn't one of the standard trinity. I use to really enjoy pet classes when I started playing MMOs, but now that role is for an alt. I pretty much just experiment on the classes my own without reading too much into any builds, I may ask people in game on info though, until I've played everything I wanted.

Once the game has been out for a while, and all of these sweet builds are released for maximum annoyance (like stealthers and survivalists), then I'll get around to rolling an alt to mess with that or trait one of my current characters towards that role. I may look into some dungeons builds, if I feel like I could be doing better too.
  10. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Hmm, so most people seem to agree that you should play what you like, even if it means having a little more trouble later on. Although I suppose my problem has always been in that I have only rarely been in good guilds. (By good I just mean guilds that meshed well with my personality)
    In fact, the only guild I got into as a healer was in SWTOR, and after having a blast healing through all the end-game content, everyone quit : (

Y'know, after hearing about the last 2 classes, I may just consider trying to heal again, thank you all for your input!(But don't stop posting, as I love reading these :p )

The one problem I still have, and may never get over, though, is playing a class that is extremely popular. Certain MMOs have a fairly good overall class balance, but some tend to have an overabundance of the "cool" class.
    In SWTOR, for example, the Sorceror and Sage, well, all of the Force classes really, were in such an overabundance, that it was nigh on impossible to get a group where there weren't at least 2 of your class present. This also made it hard to even get into groups, before group finder was implemented. Now I played the beta, and knew this was gonna happen, so I rolled a Smuggler Healer(wanted to be Smuggler anyways, for the lulz). However my beloved big brother rolled a Jedi Consular, and after getting up to about level 30, he was tired of never being wanted in groups, due to noone wanting to compete for loot drops.

Now, having individual loot drops per player could help to alleviate that issue, but I still bet people will think twice about accepting a class that's already present over a unique one.

Now I brought all that up, because I already see a pattern.
    Gunslinger is going to be ridiculously popular.
    Unless the "Engineer" is a sniper type of class, Engineer will, without a doubt be the most played class. Especially so if the unreleased healer isn't insanely cool.

But I suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

And yes, I just whined about being a special little butterfly.
  11. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

I've never played an MMO but I usually play RPGs how I want to - I know it's never an "optimal build" but I don't have time to make sure my character is EXACTLY like the internet-determined "best build" for the class. I'm just trying to have fun.

Being my first MMO, I'm leaning towards a DPS/Healer type. I've always figured if I did play an MMO I'd be a support guy who can also do some damage.

Like the Steve Nash of RPGs, if you will.
    Bellaby likes this.
  12. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

Hah, yeah my old roommate used to give me grief about playing rpg's all the time. It's almost second nature for me to figure out how to min/max my characters. So when it came to games like skyrim, borderlands, and stuff I wouldn't try any cool talents out. Just min/max, but whatever all his crying didn't change my mind and I had fun.
  13. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

My main in WoW was a forsaken warrior and I didnt really find my "role" untill I ended up in a nice guild in TBC and that was tanking the feeling of getting into the face of a giant soul crushing raid boss and protecting my freinds putting my life in the hand of the healers etc before that I was dps and would often shift things about and mess with my build and I also made alot of alts for healing, dps and tanking *my names Inukeu and im a alt-o-holic*

so I would say play how you like on your main and just have fun but bear in mind you can change up your build and gear or roll a alt for somthing different if needed besides if there is too many OP healers just do some guild gear runs with freinds or get grinding slacker :p
  14. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

In MMOs I always play the class-spec that does good at 1v1 pvp. Ofcourse, I won't do that if I'm not having fun with it, no matter how good it is at duels. If a class fits that requirement, I work with it from there and spec into tanking or dps but I never heal.

I tried healing several times but seeing nothing but health bars at low levels and then needing several mandatory add-ons for raids as well as seeing even more health bars, kinda killed it for me. I like helping people but until an MMO comes out with a better UI, I won't be doing any healing.

Also I don't play ranged specs. I dunno, the ranged playstyle seems to bore me to no ends. At least in WoW. It was fun in Rift and I did finish Skyrim as a stealth archer.

I love tanking, though. That sheer feeling of power when you're the tank and you're good and comfortable at it, is exhilarating. I never tanked in progression raids though, as I don't feel comfortable enough with my schedule to potentially leave 10 people high and dry cause I can't be online. I also do a lot of rerolling around, one more reason not to stick 10 people to my moods.
  15. qbane

qbane New Cupcake

I'd say play what is fun! I'm melee DPS (non stealth) at heart... Love to get in close on the action and have a bunch of m8s that prefer playing healer - essentially turning me into a DPS tank ;-)
    In games like WoW it especially worked out well with the rage mechanic enabling you to spam more abilities when damage recieved gives you more rage. I was the first DPS warrior that I know DPS tanked Nefarion and I loved adding speed to the run with AoEing trash together with other AoE classes. The 'optimal' builds are often safer for sure, but I prefer to take more risk and increase speed and it gives healers something to do as well! ;-)

EDIT: Just realised I only mentioned Nefarion, which was my favorite moment in that specific game, obviously it worked out in different games/environments/bosses too ;-)
  16. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan Cupcake-About-Town

I prefer to play spell casting tanks (Shadow Knight, Paladin), or healers that heal through DPS (Blood Mage, Chloro, Disciple). I'm hoping one of those arch-types are available in this game.

I only play the class I want to play. Part of that pre-requisite is that it be a tank or healer. I like to lead pretty much everything I do, those two roles lend themselves well to leading. Normally I can control pace and strategy.
  17. Mange

Mange New Cupcake

I improvise, I take what data I have on the available classes and choose one of my many premade characters. For example if I make a character and name it Netu, it needs to have DoT attack primarily, can possibly be a priest at the same time, and needs to have tealish hair and be a pretty boy. On the other hand I have a character like Bless that needs to be old, battle hardened, and use a sword/shield.
    There are many more than that I just need to see more information about the game first, but once I've chosen I stubbornly play those characters how they've always been envisioned. Even if they clearly suck.
  18. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I started off my mmo career as a dps. I love spell casting and mages were always my go to class.
    Then I started wow, and tried hunter. It didn't quite click back when the game launched, hunters were clunky. When tbc rolled around, I became a shaman and found out I loved healing. Then in wotlk I went tank and I found out I liked that just as much! The biggest thing about playing a tank was the ability to solo old outdated content which I loved.
    However, I did my tanking on my Druid which I loved for sheer versatility. Stealth, ranged magic dps, phys melee , heals , tanking , forms - I just loved every part of the class.

I think for wildstar that I'm going to go esper ,unless they announce something that blows me away. Magical and especially psionic classes have always been one of my favorites. Its a pity esper can't tank, but they can dps and heal . I do want to try breaking habits and going dps . Theres nothing like being great at your class and as a dps that translates to making things just explode at times while keeping an eye on the healer.

I must admit though that one of the reasons I played healer or tank was because they can carry groups much easier then dps can if the group isn't doing well.

It's an interesting point you brought up and one I'll have to ponder. Play a tank so I can help folks through dungeons, not have to wait around too much, and solo old content to my hearts content down the line, or pick a class that appeals to me on paper.

It will boil down to how things play and what clicks.

With wildstar offering server based dungeon tools, I may go dps just because I can count on community word of mouth for good attitude and being good at what I do.

In the end it's about having fun, but for me it's more than enjoying the class itself. It's about am I happy with what I can do with the tools given to me knowing that the I could be doing something i want if I just had picked another set of tools.

I realise it sounds like tanking is a no brainer for me, but I'm not blown away by the current tanking classes.
  19. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I'm a little late, but don't worry about it - everyone feels this way to an extent, I think. :p

That's why people want things like highly-customisable characters as well as a wide and appealing array of face/hair choices in character creation ;). Nobody likes seeing clones because there's only like one or two really appealing facial and hair choices. :p

I also never like seeing lots of my class around. XD

Although we don't know much about how loot works, I kinda hope that loot drops are for individuals so that we don't need to worry about competing over drops per se. :S
  20. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Well I think it's a psychological thing where you start seeing more of a class because you're playing it. But in SWTOR it was outrageous at launch, like 75% Jedi!