1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Bellaby's Identity Crisis! : Class Roles for Convenience or Personal Enjoyment?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Bellaby, Mar 19, 2013.

1. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Hehe, I kinda don't know what they were expecting :p.

Force-users are like the most iconic thing about the Star Wars universe, you bet your britches that everyone's gonna want to be one! :p

But also you're right, I think I do tend to see more of my class when I'm playing it ^_^.
    Bellaby likes this.
  2. dougyfresh

dougyfresh New Cupcake

I usually go tank, but it does depend on the games mechanic types as well. I might try a healer in this game just based on the skillshot mechanic. In the end though I like tanking the most because I can control the fight and feel like I get to make a strong impact
  3. Forge Darksteel

Forge Darksteel Cupcake

Bellaby, it sounds like you are the kind of player who enjoys the game most when you're playing healer, therefore you should go healer. It doesn't matter what everyone else wants you to play, if you're not playing a healer you won't be enjoying this game, which would be a shame because this game looks like it is designed to be enjoyable to play.
    There are a lot of players who play for many different reasons (e.g. they want the rarest class so they get more opportunity at loot), everyone has their own reasons for playing. Myself, I want to tank and level through the settler path, the pillar of the community!
  4. JCwildthing

JCwildthing Cupcake

Play what makes you happy! It is interesting to me though how many examples we have of people switching classes/play styles and finding that they enjoy the new better. I think that is what makes alts so appealing too. "Am I missing out on something more entertaining for me?"
    mge_br likes this.
  5. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

I do what I enjoy and what I feel is most honorable and so should thee, for I am MALORAK, MASTER OF DRAKENKNIGHTS!

On Nexus though I shall aid thee with an impenetrable shield and shall be a barrier to help defend the weak or generally defend these near to me, for I am

MALORAK THE DRAKENWARRIOR, MASTER OF PROTECTION
  6. Scelestic

Scelestic Cupcake

I think the only time I went into a Role that I didn't specifically pick was when I first started playing City of Heroes with my Father and a few Friends, and we ended up needing a Healer. Since then, which was quite awhile ago, I haven't really found myself in a situation where I am actually not running around solo. So for the most part I have started just picking what Class interests me most, and role be damned. I played TERA through Beta and for a few months after Launch and ended up soloing as a Priest.

I think the issue of choosing a Role in WildStar won't be as pressing though, since all of the classes are built hybridly- so you can switch between Roles on demand, by modifying your Skill Set, although you'll be semi-locked into specializing or generalizing via having to spend Attribute Points as you level up.. Unless those can be relatively on the fly reallocated.

As for what Role I will be playing in WildStar.. I'll most likely be some sort of Support! There's alot of murmuring of an Engineer Class that will be a Tank/Healer, and if that is the case, then I sha'll be an Engineer! Engineer has always been a favorite class of mine- even though it doesn't really appear in many games, It's still relatively awesome when it does! GW2 is a good example of a Cool Engineer Class, although I hope the WildStar Engineer draws more from TorchLight 2, and all of it's Drones and such! Here's hoping to playing a Chua Engineer Scientist!
  7. Hierta

Hierta New Cupcake

I have always had problem with choosing my Role/Class in games until just recently.

Well just as some people here was forced into a role by friends so was i at first when i started playing my first big MMO (wow). I wanted to roll a classic Warrior type class but my friends said no you can't be a warrior you need to have magic when playing a MMO -_-. So i rerolled into a mage and played it for a good 2,5 years until i had had enought and rolled a Dk (Necromacer/warrior class). Well that workt out for sometime but there was always a that feeling of something missing.
    Until i found the Assassin archetype and it fits me perfectly and i love it.
    I love sneaking in stealth and stabbing things with pointy sticks.
    The point i want to get to is that there will come a time when it will just happen and click.
  8. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

I tend to favor melee classes when I'm picking a class. The more mobile the better. I like to try a lot of classes, but the only magic/ranged class I actually liked was the Shadow Priest from WoW. It was pretty cool because it was rare back in the early days and it could tank a lot of damage.

Usually I go for the class that's really cool and appeals to me. Right now Stalker is appealing to me in Wildstar, but I may be inclined to pick Esper if they have any similarities to Shadow Priest.
  9. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

I always play a healer as I feel I can make the largest difference in that role.

Dpsing is always second since its easy and fun.
    And, depending upon the mechanics, i have main tanked for progressive raiding as well.
  10. mge_br

mge_br Cupcake

Agreed, on GW2 before i got my hands on the game I had alredy made up my mind and was decid to be a ranger as main and elementalist a second caracter.

I am very stuborn so I force myself to hit level cap with my ranger, and most of the time I was bored (I try diferent builds, it didnt work), them i decid to try the other classes, even the ones I didnt give a <REDACTED> initialy, and it turns out the necromancrer , with I had complely disregard from the start, was a lot of fun and fit like a glove to my play style.
  11. mockingfox

mockingfox Cupcake

@OP: mabye it was the server you played on because on my WoW server (blackrock:horde) healers were about 5% of the available playerbase. I would use the find option to look for all the online healers within a wide level bracket (and eventually at endgame) and they were very very few to choose from.

ironically this made them all very popular @ higher levels and i would even lend my aid to very underleveled healers in hopes of getting them to join my guild (which only had 3 dedicated healers and we had a good 60 people nonalted) Eventually i got to know alot of them even those of other people guilds as we would cry out for a healer to fill the spot on our raids, which lead to alot of fun social interactions between guild (gold changed hands very often and loot was promised) While it may have been a pain in the ass to other people i enjoyed arranging my guilds parties and compromising with other people to make the raid happen that night.

I would like to note that the server was a high population server... 90% alliance.

The point is that while you may feel forced into one specific class due to availability or commonality of the class vis a vis the playerbase you should check the servers class spread before committing you playgroup to that one server!
  12. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Seriously, thanks for all the awesome feedback guys, I had no idea this topic would explode like this! So, for you guys, I'm gonna make the change! I'm gonna follow my heart and heal like I do in every other game genre! Queues can kiss my grits! :inlove:
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  13. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I would say one of the areas that I have not been able to step out of "dinosaur" mode for gaming deals with speccing and roles. I truly miss choosing a class that was support (Enchanter, Bard) or tank (Shadow Knight) or healer (cleric) and that was my job. Period. I am not a fan of Dual specs when it allows me to change my role. Change my build, fine. But not my role.

In WoW what you describe, Bellaby, is one of the reasons I didn't raid. In EQ I raided with my Enchanter. I had a great time. My Enchanter filled the same role in a raid as it did while I leveled. I was support. In WoW I started at release as a Feral druid. DPS isn't really my thing but I loved shape shifting and the DPS while leveling was solid. I got that toon to 60 and found out that to progress with it I had to respect to Heals. I didn't want to heal. During the leveling process I had learned and master DPS as a Feral druid, I hadn't healed at all, and now I had to. That pissed me off. It pissed me off that the player base wouldn't accept as DPS, (Understandable since at max at that time we sucked) pissed that Blizz had designed Druids to be healers at max level in Vanilla. I was so frustrated I almost quit. Needless to say I didn't raid and just did UBRS runs. Fast Forward thru the years and Dual Specs came into play and content was redesigned and now I could be a feral or due to Dual Spec I was expected to have a second role (never had a permanent one but nothing stuck, so the second spec was for BGs).

To me you should never have to play something different to progress than what you want to play. And, it is extremely bad design when your class you played all the way to level doing one role is now forced to do a different role.

Again, I do understand that most folks don't want to be "limited" to just one role, but I miss that.
    Ego13 likes this.
  14. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

Good old Bard in DAoC....those were the days. Not a great healer but if you were good with mez then you could keep your group healed and keep the pulls coming smoothly.
  15. BestWurstinTown

BestWurstinTown New Cupcake

I love healing and dps...in WoW I spent most of my progress raiding time as a holy pala and even though it was arguably the most boring healer class I still loved doing it. After many breaks I went for a druid healer in Wotlk and quickly topped healing meters. Suddenly though I got bored with the endless bar-staring and just rerolled to dps warrior (to the big disappointment of my raidgroup since one of the most important healers just changed roles mid content). And my god did I love the freedom of dps. Popping big numbers and actually being able to enjoy the content and its nuances and overall beauty instead of having your eyes glued to the healthbars 99% of the time. I loved all the min/max stuff and I had a blast epeening with recount seeing how far up I could push my warrior in the dps race :D However to this day I kinda miss the healing in MMOs (WoW got stale with Cata) and if Wildstar manages to make a class that can both be a dps monster with engaging combat and a great healer..I will throw money at my screen like I swore never to do again after quitting WoW for good back in the days. So basically my advice is..play whatever rocks your world ;)
  16. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I'd recommend just playing the role that you like to play, you're far more likely to enjoy it and spend a lot of time with it to get really good at it, and then you'll be in demand naturally.

I spent a lot of time in Warcraft playing a warrior, back when tanking was the only option and enjoyed it reasonably well, but was never amazing at it. I later got the opportunity to play as damage dealing warrior, and found my niche and became very very good at it and a credit to the guild.

My most recent MMO experience is with TOR and I really enjoyed playing as a Jedi Knight tank over any of the other specs, even after trying damage dealing. Something just clicked with being a tank. Not sure why I went from damage back to tanking exactly, but it just felt right. Got pretty good at it, and had no problem getting groups.

I think that's the best approach. Just try a few things and see what calls out to you. You know what you like so you've already got a good start! :)
  17. Sierus

Sierus Cupcake

Was a hunter day one in WoW, and every other MMO game I've played I've preferred a Ranged class, except my warrior on GW2. He rocked!

So Spellslinger for me!
  18. Belial

Belial New Cupcake

I'm lookin foward for the healer class in this game, becouse with the telegraph system I think it will be a pretty enjoyable role to play.
    I'm not saying that the DPS and the tank will be boring, but, it's just that with the telegraph system, I will have so much fun healing. :roflamo:
  19. Dekros

Dekros Cupcake

I love big numbers and i love melee classes, whatever class meets those requirements for me is the class i will most likely play. Also for me i play the class that suits me the most and its possible i could end up switching classes until i find the right one. I'm normally a dps and most classes fit that role so i have a lot of options, i occasionally tank so a dps/tank combo for me would be ideal so i could switch between each if need be.

My advice is to play the role you are most comfortable at playing as and then from there pick a class which you can get the hang of and improve your skills with.
  20. Primalthirst

Primalthirst Cupcake

I really hope the game strongly encourages players to play both of their allotted Specs.

The big problem I always had with the WoW community in general, was the expectation that because someone played Shadow Priest or Ret Pally they shouldn't have to swap to Holy/Shadow/Prot/Holy when the situation required it. One of the best things about Rift is that the community practically demands that every player be able to play all of their roles. It makes for much better dungeon and raid environments, if your Healer or Tank DCs it doesn't matter because all of your DPS will be willing to swap and fill the gap.

There's nothing more frustrating than a DPS who isn't willing to swap specs and Heal for the group and instead forces everyone else to sit around for 20 minutes waiting for a replacement. It's selfish and the community is what either makes it acceptable or unacceptable.

It's perfectly fine to play the role you prefer the majority of the time if that's what you enjoy the most, but it isn't fine to prevent others from playing the game because you're too stubborn to do your bit for the team.
    SteveDiggler24 likes this.