1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Camera is just annoying

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by panwhora, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

I was already comfortable with WoW's mouselook, the transition to a mouse-aiming camera was pretty tough for DCUO was tough at first but I ended up liking it too. I can go either way, but I'm in the minority for that sort of flexibility. None of my friends can handle switching between inverted mouselook on/off for example.
  2. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

All said and done - and having played Tera and Neverwinter - I can second that notion. The /option/ to switch between RMB camera control and a "locked" control scheme that frees up RMB but allows the camera to be tied to the mouse via a toggle button would be quite welcome, and cater to more players.
    So if the matter is trivial enough, I'd sure like to see it happen :D

Edit:
    For those that don't know what the whole locking thing is about. Imagine pressing a button and the game controls like a third person shooter basically. Mouse to aim, WASD to move/strafe. As opposed to say, WoW, where you have to hold the right mouse button al lthe time to get the same effect.

This is mostly proposed since you will be a lot of moving and mouse turning, probably more so than in other games, so it would be more convenient to have the camera locked via a toggle button rather than having to hold RMB for hours on end.
    Grafficane likes this.
  3. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

This

and this!
  4. Vexed

Vexed Cupcake-About-Town

I'd like them to put in an option for the players that want it but make it an option you have to turn on, not off.

Personally I see it as detrimental for high end raiding as you can watch the environment around you. I have always turned off the smart camera in WoW.
  5. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

I shall correct you :D you can indeed back-peddle but very slowly, as in most games.

I'll take the back of the OP and say I too, do not like having to hold my mouse button to turn the camera.

"I'm used to it from other games" ? Well, I'm not. - I prefer my FPS controls to aim, hence why I've always preferred the Tera/Neverwinter combat systems.

Holding RMB is fine for games like Final Fantasy or other Tab-target/stationary combat games, but for active combat and active controls I shouldn't have to hold RMB to look around - who wants to spend the entire game with RMB held down? that seems ridiculous
  6. Lyng

Lyng New Cupcake

Didnt you have that option in wow allready?
    I am quiet sure there will be an option to "unlock" the camera. Maybe it is just locked during the beta?
  7. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

What they mean by locking the camera in TERA is that in TERA the mouse is set to look around by default (think keeping your right mouse button down automatically). This allows you to freely look around like in an FPS and allows for quicker movement and turning. The Alt key locking the camera essentially toggles the mouse cursor to come up and you can mouse around and click on your UI without moving the camera.

It's essentially the standard MMO setup but in reverse.
  8. Saleex

Saleex New Cupcake

Uhm, after understanding what camera locking in TERA is.. I see that pretty much, we all want the same thing.. WoW has the answer for it, turning off the smart pivot.. And, I hope they are going to do the same thing WoW did with the camera :)
  9. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Ok, I understand what you are saying now.
    Smite works like that as well.
    I could definitely see the advantage of that as an option.

10. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

This is one of those little things which does not require more than a day of programming so I wouldn't worry. If there is any demand for it it will be included (probably is already but no one used it for demos).

Just make it a part of your signature already ;)

W* gameplay feel more like fps/3rd person action (tomb raider) kind of game. What works for WoW which is good for clickers and TAB targeting won't work as well for W*.
  11. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

As long as the camera lock is an option and not perma locked I'm fine with it. I hate having the camera locked. I want to hold the right mouse button, but I understand others don't want it that way. Just make it a toggle.
    Kataryna likes this.
  12. Musser

Musser New Cupcake

I like the camera as it is in WoW, i.e. you hold right mouse button to turn your char.
    I hope they have it the same in Wildstar.
    However for those who want it different, there should of course be options to customise it to the way you like to play.
    Other MMOs have basically fallen flat at the first hurdle by forcing you to use a camera mode or button for a certain job that you don't want with no option to change it. I would hate for Wildstar to have that happen.
    User "feeling" is one of the most important things in a game, if you get the controls wrong and don't give people the option to change them then it will make people insta-quit.
    Zondeel likes this.
  13. Zondeel

Zondeel Cupcake

Then how do you propose we move? Mouse with no buttons held should move a cursor to click on different parts of the interface. I like left button for move camera and right button for moving. W for attack 2, A for spammable white damage attack, D for utility (like stealth), and S for another attack or utility depending on the class. Basically because of their home row proximity skills that must be used often.
  14. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I really dislike cameras locked to my mouse. I love the free camera. You can have your camera lock if you want, as long as it doesn't affect my ability to play with a free camera if that's what I want.

I don't know how people deal with not using the mouse buttons to move while still spamming abilities. I need my mouse buttons for camera movement, and player movement, so that my left hand is free for abilities.
    Kataryna likes this.
  15. Raide

Raide New Cupcake

Move? As in moving the camera, or moving your character?

Says who? I mean, all we're asking for is the option to have a mouselook mode.

... and what do your skill keybindings have to do with anything?
    Your post confuses me greatly.
    Kataryna likes this.
  16. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Who wants to spend the whole game using WASD to move? That seems ridiculous.

Just to be clear, I'm only pointing out the ridiculousness of calling someone else's preferred control scheme ridiculous. He doesn't like holding RMB to turn. I get that. I don't like using WASD to move.
    Kataryna likes this.
  17. Groossum

Groossum Cupcake-About-Town

About the signatures; you can remove them in your profile, they wont show. Cleaner display of the forum.

For the subject of camera...didnt try it yet, but I'm used to the rmb. no biggie until I feel the game play.
  18. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

You can re-bind your movement keys - you cant re-bind hold RMB to turn the camera. He's also offering/asking for an alternative to the conventional method of camera operation. Feel free to start a thread about how you'd prefer click-move or some other scheme instead of WASD.

You've essentially just said "yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man".
  19. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Anything that removes control from the player is horrible. Whether that's a locked camera like Neverwinter or smart panning cameras like some options in WoW. But like WoW, there should be options to add move player choice and freedom to play in a way that is comfortable for them.
    Kataryna likes this.
  20. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I have no issue with an alternative being available. I have an issue with you calling my preferred control scheme ridiculous.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.