1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Camera is just annoying

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by panwhora, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Uh, well, for starters, no one is saying what you like to do is ridiculous. I'm saying that it's absurd to not offer alternative control options for players, considering the relative availability of previously developed and tested choices - one of which has been proposed by the OP.

Being forced into using a single control scheme when easy-to-implement and popular alternatives already exist is ridiculous.
  2. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Holding RMB I can deal with, as long as it's not the zoom-in/zoom-out/hey there's a mountain/ooh look my char's ass up-close/ahh there's a tower/wow my char has dandruff/ spasm <REDACTED> from GW2.
  3. Xalon

Xalon Cupcake-About-Town

So what you want keyboard keys to turn?... If thats what I think your saying theres really no reason why you shouldnt be strafing but we gimp yourself
  4. Renrawr

Renrawr New Cupcake

I think it's fine but maybe because I'm used to WoW and use a Razer Naga also.
  5. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

no. auto-mouse look - as in when you turn your mouse your camera moves so you dont have to hold any buttons down to turn your field of vision (a-la Tera, or any FPS ever invented. Ever.).

This serves 2 functions.

1. It lets you actually use your RMB, one of your most accessible buttons as your hand is always placed on top of it, for something actually useful, like a skill, instead of just operating the camera.

2. It makes it so you don't spend the entire game holding down one button while still trying to play. Perhaps many people do not move their cameras very often, and thus do not hold their RMB constantly, and that's 100% fine and okay - you're the people I kill for your mining node because you don't see me coming.

For people with more active play styles, I like to move and use my camera almost constantly - not offering an option to change my controls essentially forces me into chaining my finger to my RMB. Multiple choices would be the best option imo as everyone seems to prefer it differently.
  6. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Not to argue with you, but just to better explain my perspective, I use RMB for both the operation of my camera and for movement. It frees up my whole left hand so I don't have to mess with WASD since all my movement is on my mouse (except for strafe, but I've considered putting that on the mouse as well). That way I can let my left hand sit on my number keys where my abilities are, instead of having to contort my hand in weird ways to use those abilities while also using WASD to move.

I find that having a free camera allows me to move my camera more freely than a locked camera, because it means I don't have to be looking the direction I'm moving. I can turn my camera behind me and continue forwards, or rotate my camera around while I'm mining that node.

I like to move and use my camera constantly too. I also like to use my abilities constantly, and I find that having my left hand totally freed up to do that is more important than not having to hold my RMB.

I agree though that having both options available is probably best, since it seems that the general playstyle of Wildstar would have the ability to accomodate both without sacrificing game design.
  7. slayblaster

slayblaster New Cupcake

I want the free camera, but I can see the problem that it could cause, if they did make the mouse the camera look, then how would players click on any of the elements of the HUD? It would keep the mouse cursor in one spot. Of course, a toggle would allow people to quickly switch between the two, like in Raiderz (I haven't played TERA, so I don't know if they have it) so the problem there could be fixed. Other than that, I don't see any other gripes, so I'd very much love a camera toggle, hope they add it soon! :)
  8. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

A nearly year old necro lol. There are addons that provide this function.
    Kataryna likes this.
  9. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> Thou shall not necro! Locking this due to the age of the thread and information within. If there's no active thread on this topic, feel free to start a new one. </Mod Face>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.