1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Capital cities are instanced

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Cretz, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

I'm not sure how many of you know this, but the capital cities are instanced. If you zone in from from your housing plot for example, you are placed in one of potentially several copies of Thayd. I am pretty sure the devs said they would not use this kind of instancing in the past. It really bothers me, because it breaks the feeling of being in a large persistent world. Thayd is vast enough and there are several copies of AH/banks/CX that using this for better performance is not a viable excuse, in my opinion.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

No, they said the instancing would be minimal. Ie they would only use it when they had to. Neither of the cities are large enough to handle 2-500 people running around at the same time. Server caps are too high for these to be uninstanced in this way.
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Capital cities are also going to be the main hub of traffic throughout all character levels. Their central location from start zone to middle-teen zones means characters will cross all of the time. Additionally cities have several other things to offer such as travel to other zones of higher level. It's really no surprise that if any zone would be instanced it would be the capital cities.
  4. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

As much as I hate bringing up that other MMO, why was this not necessary for WoW?
  5. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I believe Livin already answered this -

Apparently Wildstar servers have a much higher population cap than other MMO's, and in addition to that, have you looked at the server list? Pretty much all of them say high or full, so those instanced zones should have the same feel as other MMO's.

One thing you might not be aware of is that there isn't a global chat, so people are less likely to be just sitting in the capital globally chatting about junk nobody is interested in.
    Livnthedream and Kataryna like this.
  6. Livnthedream

Anyone who was there at the End of Beta celebration wouldn't be complaining about this. :)
  7. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Pretty much this, I could't even stay for the entire thing because my computer would DC everytime I tried to log in during that event.
  8. Livnthedream

I managed it fine at a whopping 10-15fps.
  9. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

It actually was for a long time, right up until Cataclysm. The reason every city had a weird way into and out of the main gate, whether it be a tunnel or elevator, was to hide the fact from you that you were loading into an instance. It's probably least Obvious from Thunder Bluff's elevators and Stormwind's front gate, but the wall blocking direct line of sight into the trade district from the bridge it the giveaway; compare it to the entrance portals of Stratholme, which has actual portals seperating the two instances rather than the neighbor-loading method of Stormwind.

I don't know what they did to remove the instancing in Cataclysm, because the cities became accessible by air. Might be related to all the CRZ and shared-realm technology they've since introduced.
  10. Livnthedream

While you are correct, thats not what he is talking about and most people who use the term "instancing" will disagree with you. :p
  11. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

Need confirmation on this. I played WoW from '05 to '11 and never noticed this, and you think I would have. There were numerous times where someone would tell me to meet them at X location in Orgrimmar and I would see them without having to sync group or anything.
  12. Livnthedream

@ImpactHound See?

@Cretz All of WoW was instanced in various ways. Its part of the reason why pop in happened the way it did, and if you were on a high pop server you could feel the stutter when you passed a boundry. "Open world" is a serious misnomer that gets horribly misused by end users who don't know any better. Similar to how "lag" is a term used to describe several different problems that are similar.