1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Carbine Staff Spotlight Questions

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Mr.Mike, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

In the past we've had the pleasure of interviewing Jeremy Gaffney, Eric DeMilt and Matt Mocarski in our exclusive Carbine Staff Spotlight interview series. Back then, Carbine were very secretive about WildStar, in fact, no one outside of Carbine knew what the game was actually called until gamescom when all that changed. So at the time, we were extremely restricted to the types of questions we could ask, but now that Carbine are talking more about their hugely anticipated sci-fi fantasy MMO, we'll be able to push the boundaries a teenie weenie bit more with the scope of our questions.

So, I'm pleased to announce that Aether has given me the green light to start collecting questions in anticipation for our next Carbine Staff Spotlight interview.

How the Carbine Staff Spotlight will work

Each community member has the opportunity to post their questions related to the game, staff or company. Aether, Robeardo or myself will then collect the questions that will have the best chance of being answered by the Carbine staff members. Carbine staff members will also be selecting from the original list of questions as well, which I've provided in the below post. Once the questions have been answered Carbine will send me the interview and I'll post each Staff Spotlight in a new thread on the forums.

Tips for getting your questions answered
    • Keep in mind the game is still in early development, so think of questions that may actually get answered instead of asking for detailed information or "when is beta?".
    • Each question should be no more than one or two sentences long, so keep them short and to the point.
    • Bribes are more than welcome, but they must be sent directly to Aether's PayPal account. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees the bribes will pay off though, so use this method at your own risk.

Best of luck with your questions!

Disclaimer: The good folks at Carbine Studios will not be able to answer all of our questions. If your questions don't get answered, please do not take it personal. It just means Carbine cannot talk about that particular area of the game yet, since WildStar is still in early development.
    Dragor and Autumnal like this.
  2. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

These are the original questions we sent Carbine.

1. Please introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about your role at Carbine Studios?

2. What was your first big break in the computer game industry, which you said to yourself, "WOW, I am finally getting paid for doing what I love?"

3. Outside of working for Carbine Studios and away from computers, what would you say is your favorite hobby or type of entertainment?

4. To get a better perspective of sort of gamer you are, could you briefly share your preferred method of play. Also how would you rate the following game aspects based on your personal play style? (ie. PvP = 5/10)

PvP = ?/10 | PvE = ?/10 | Crafting = ?/10 | Raiding = ?/10 | Role-Playing = ?/10

5. What computer game, regardless of genre, seems to have had the greatest impact on your desire to work in the computer gaming industry?

6. Before becoming a computer graphic artist/animator, would you say that, for you, creating pieces of art was more of a way to make a living, more of a hobby, or more of a passion?

7. Is there a particular place or situation where you seem to typically get your best ideas for your work? I.E. the shower, while cooking, sleeping, sporting events, etc...?

8. Are there any pranksters that work at Carbine Studios? Have you, yourself played any pranks on your co-workers? If so, did it make you infamous?

9. New technology is constantly being developed for computers and video games. As a Coder, do you find that this technology is making your work easier or more difficult, or do you feel that any technology that enhances gameplay is worth any price? Please elaborate.

10. Many MMO players prefer enhanced gameplay over graphical enhancements such as extraordinary spell/lighting affects, great character animations, highly detailed equipment, etc... Personally, what direction do you feel MMOs are leaning towards? And is it a good or bad thing for the average MMO player?

11. When trying to design a specific system, how do you try and get "Inspired"? Do you visit other websites, various forums, talk to co-workers, drag out the old design textbooks, etc?

12. The gear chase and RPGs go together like wizards and funny hats, do you see any way to change the nature of the MMORPGs to remove this sometimes criticized portion of the game?

13. The social aspects of MMORPGs are often described as what keeps players interested in the game or brings them back after they have left, yet with social networks becoming linked up more and more (e.g. chat linking to Facebook accounts), do you see this as being counterproductive, as people may not want to be contacted by certain other people, or as completely beneficial for gaming?

14. Getting your audience mentally immersed in a game can be a difficult task, while taking them out of the immersion can happen incredibly easily, especially in an MMORPG. Sometimes it's the wrong music, poor voice acting or simply the wrong "Mood" of the surrounding area. Other times it may be the fact that a player runs into an invisible wall or perhaps the player restricted in some way due to a very linear gameplay. How would you minimize or hopefully remove all of these immersion breakers and keep the player's mind in the right place?

15. Storytelling in MMORPGs is a difficult art, how would you try to keep the player following the story and not just flying through the content?

16. What major influences do you think will shape MMOs in the future? And how do you envision the genre in a decade from now?

17. Warrior, Healer, Mage, Rogue, or Ranger. Which class would you like to play most?

18. You have just won a paid trip for two to anywhere in the world. Where would you go and what would you see there?

19. Hypothetically, let's just say that Carbine Studios has asked each employee to name their own Vindball team. What would your team's name be? What would the mascot be? And what position would you play on that team?

20. When designing a game, do you typically like to take over a small piece of the world and influence it to mimic your personality/lifestyle or do you just try to influence the whole world equally?

21. What is unquestionably the BEST beverage to have while on a long gaming run? What is your personal "Snack(s) of Choice" when you are gaming?

22. If you could pick a cartoon character that best describes you, who would it be and why?

23. If everyone at Carbine Studios was banished to live on a deserted island for the rest of your lives, and it was up to you to bring only three items for everyone. What would those three things be?

24. If Carbine Studios were to release a photograph of each employee, what quote would you like to see posted under your photograph?

25. Working in an administrative position, people find themselves wearing many different "Hats". If each of these "Hats" were labeled to indicate each individual job you perform, what would be some of the names on each of your hats? I.E. Cheerleader, Traffic Cop, Food Delivery Boy, Politician, etc.

26. What specific food are you a fanatic about? Would you work one day for free if they had that particular food available for you (at no cost to you) all day long?

27. Is there a particular position, school, or event, from the past, that you feel has had the greatest impact on your current position working for Carbine Studios?

28. Do you typically try to incorporate the people, places and/or objects that you see everyday into your artwork or designs, or do you just try to make everything as original as possible?

29. When managing your team at Carbine Studios, do you like to have a very structured environment with the staff, with tighter guidelines, or do you more or less just stand back and let the team go crazy with their creativity, with loose guidelines?

30. Is there a topic/idea that you would like to talk about that wasn't included in the selected questions?
    Scrawny, starspun and Dragor like this.
  3. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

"Boxers, briefs, or Commando?" :p

If Time travel were feasible, in your (individual) game development histories, what would you go back in time, and change?
  4. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

My avatar: Is this what female Granok really look like?
    What do male Aurin look like?
  5. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

I actually have a image of an male Aurin. :p
  6. alienfirst

alienfirst Deck the Granok Winner 2011

Artists demand reference!
  7. Promcheg

Promcheg New Cupcake

What about PvP? Open World or Arena/BGs only? If Open world, any PvP system managing unprovoked PKs?
  8. Sputti

Sputti New Cupcake

Whats about Endgamecontent? is there anything planed?
  9. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

1) Will it be possible for the settler to gain most of their experience from actions other than combat?
    2) If settlers can gain experience from actions other than combat, how do they gain materials and money used to build/upkeep buildings?
    3) Will there be mounts in the game? If so, what type and at what levels do we get them?
    4) Will we be able to craft items that are unique to the player?
    5) Will craft items be better than most things found in drops?
    6) Can I buy a shirt or mug soon?
  10. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

1) What if I choose the path of a settler, but in midgame I feel that a scientist suits me better. Will I get the chance to change my path? When yes how often?
    2) Will Nexus feature every climatezone?
    3) Will every race have a own city?
    4) Its there going to be some kind of banking?
  11. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

What is the typical development day at Carbine like? Do nerf guns ever enter into the equation?

Any rough idea on how many races will be available per faction?

What are you planning for endgame? Are you exploring this being a more raid centric PvE, PVP, or "something else" that MMO players are in for a surprise?
  12. Ekhael

Ekhael Founding Member

It was said that humans will be on both faction sides, are there plans in place to make them distinguishable enough to tell what faction they're on from a glance?

And can my Aurin have a different coloured tail compared to hair colour...?
  13. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

Different available range of hairstyles, maybe? Oh, and cybernetic or genetic modifications to Dominion humans to make them 'stronger' and more pliable?

Anyway, question: What's with the Chaos Space Marine (complete with chainsword) right there on the front page of the official site? *cough*
    Autumnal and ImmortalExile like this.
  14. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Pffff, looks more like a Death Knight to me!
  15. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Best guess? Unannounced Dominion-race Swordsman class.
  16. starspun

Or just a regular ol' Warrior!
  17. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

If that's "regular", then I can't wait to see the "elite shock troops". The Art style screams "Dominion", to me, utilizing 'fear' psy-ops as a standard troop tactic.
  18. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

I'm glad I'm not the only person that thought that thing looked like a WoW Death Knight. Was the first thing that popped into my head.
  19. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Bah, never saw a DK with a stone face. :confused:
  20. starspun

B-but you can't see his face...