1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art Cassian Spellslinger

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by OZtheWiZARD, Sep 13, 2013.

1. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

Hello everyone :)

Some of you may know me from my previous topic but if you don't then no worries :)
    Painting is my passion and since I am also passionate about upcoming title "Wildstar" I decided to combine them together and create some artwork.

Currently I am working on Cassian Spellslinger. Spellslinger is probably a class I will be playing after game launches so there is a personal involvement in the project as well :)

I would like to present the whole process of creating the drawing showing the most important stages. From sketch to the finished piece. Bellow you will find a concept sketch in its nearly finished stage. Everything can be changed of course but general idea of the composition usually remains the same.
    I really hope you will like it :)
    I will update this post as work will progress. Please feel free to share your opinion.

Finished:

[​IMG]

I wanted this to be my personal intake on Cassian Spellslinger. I do realize is not as cartoonish as you would expect from typical Wildstar artwork but I was trying to keep my style rather then mimic the one of Wildstar concept artists.
    As always feel free to share your opinion and any constructive critique is always welcome.
    And I hope you will like it. I will combine all my artwork later in a single thread.

Time to move on to Engineer. See you all soon :).

Progress stage by stage:

1.Concept sketch:

[​IMG]

2. Lineart

[​IMG]

3. Base colours

[​IMG]

3.5 Blending and shading in progress

[​IMG]

3.8 Almost there :)

[​IMG]

4. Shading and blending finished

[​IMG]

5. Finished :)

[​IMG]

An update.

Stages 2 and 3.

Lineart - this stage could be skipped as I do quite detailed sketches anyway but somehow I find it easier to work on the drawing when I got strict boundaries described by lineart.

Base colour - at this stage I am trying to compose the colours and the tone of the drawing/ painting. I am usually trying to experiment with colours and check random variants before deciding.
    Of course nothing is finished at this stage and quite often changes are made as work progress and completed drawing usually looks completely different than at the beginning.

Update regarding stage 3.5

This one is my favorite stage as its all about painting and surprises as you can never be sure how it will turns out :)

Update regarding stage 3.8

So shading and blending is almost done. I will need to finish of the gun and add some deeper shadows but the final shape is starting to materialize. I decided to do some changes to her clothes as I have been told this dress couldn't just stay on her by itself :) and I think I will add some details and maybe some equipment. We will see ho it goes.

Update stage 4.

So this is it, the drawing is almost done and all that's left is to add some final touches, effects and finish it off.

http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/mechari-warrior.5901/ -- Mechari Warrior I did some time ago
    http://ozthew1zard.deviantart.com/ -- My Deviant art gallery
  2. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Hmm, I browse the fanart section regularly, but somehow missed this. This looks really good. Even though your lines are fairly loose, they still look quite clean, regardless of which stage this is at. The clothing, the anatomy, pose.. everything looks great. I really want to see how this will turn out.

It's not really a negative or positive point, but I noticed that the edge dividing the planes on the gun's slide (the line) matches right up with the Cassian's left leg contour at the knee. It can create a bit of an optical illusion.. am I looking at the line for the leg or the line for the gun slide?

---
    Just a note:
    For me at least, your hyperlinks don't work on your post. They only open a blank page, so maybe your url target isn't set.
  3. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

Thank you for very much for the feedback :) Much appreciated :)

I haven't noticed this before (edge dividing issue) tbh and I have to admit this was unintentional and accidental :oops:
    It disappears in the further stage of the drawing.
    I shall update the topic with the lineart stage soon. It won't be much different from the sketch though. I think I could even get rid of it (lineart) completely but it somehow helps me with coloring as I have all areas clearly presented.
  4. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

An update.

Stages 2 and 3.

Lineart - this stage could be skipped as I do quite detailed sketches anyway but somehow I find it easier to work on the drawing when I got strict boundaries described by lineart.

Base colour - at this stage I am trying to compose the colours and the tone of the drawing/ painting. I am usually trying to experiment with colours and check random variants before deciding.
    Of course nothing is finished at this stage and quite often changes are made as work progress and completed drawing usually looks completely different than at the beginning.
  5. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Thank you for sharing your work.

I liked the armor (shoulder and arms), and the belt. I'm not sure a strapless dress would be well-suited for exploring the wilds of Nexus. Might I suggest adding a gun holster and changing her heeled shoes to non-healed boots? I also think you should do something to set off her face. A white or other colored streak in her hair, obviously prosthetic eyes, dueling scar, tattoo, lip makeup, facial piercing, etc.

I'm of the opinion that too many female characters in Wildstar are portrayed wearing high heels. You could even make them knee high boots. This change would still allow you to show off the character's thigh highs and maintain the look I believe you're aiming for.
  6. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

I am trying to follow general idea for the character created by Turbine but the work is far from finished and who knows :)
  7. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

8. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

Should work now. Thank you. No idea what happened.
  9. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

Another update :)

This time shading and blending - work in progress. Still very unfinished but I hope you can see how the drawing evolves from sketch and base colours to more polished form.
    Sorry for long intervals between updates but I can only work on it between my other tasks.

[​IMG]
    Maddog Charlie and Dysp like this.
  10. Svinkaoff

Svinkaoff New Cupcake

Waist line should be thiner imo. Now she looks like pregnant..or fat.
  11. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

It's the illusion created by the unfinished shading on her torso :) Should disappear when I finish shading belly muscles but thank you for your feedback.
  12. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

Update regarding stage 3.8

So shading and blending is almost done. I will need to finish of the gun and add some deeper shadows but the final shape is starting to materialize. I decided to do some changes to her clothes as I have been told this dress couldn't just stay on her by itself :) and I think I will add some details and maybe some equipment. We will see ho it goes.
    Please refer to the opening post to see the progress on this project and as always I hope you will like it :)

[​IMG]
    Dysp likes this.
  13. nizku

nizku New Cupcake

amazing, congrats for the work ;)
  14. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Woman :up:
    Spellslinger :up:
    Art :up:

Cassian :down:
  15. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

Update stage 4 finished.
    All blending and shading done:

[​IMG]
  16. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

Update 5.

Finished :)

[​IMG]
    FelixAkuma, Pocketz and Siflay like this.
  17. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

I almost forgot, how rude of me (!) Thank you very much for all the likes I got :):):)
    Big cheers and a cookie :)
  18. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Wow man~ That looks amazing