1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character Customization after Creation

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Domi Dayglow, May 19, 2013.

1. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

As I've been reading through some posts a couple topics always had me bringing up the options we could have to alter our characters after the creation screen. Months or even a year down the road we may get kind of bored with the way our favorite character's hair looks, or the color the of Mechari crystal in their head, or we think our Draken needs bigger horns. We may even decided that we really didn't like the name we picked out. There hasn't been much information from Carbine about it. So, some things I would like to see......

Changing Names

It would be nice if we could change our character's name. Even if it's as a microtransaction in a cashshop. Many people will probably take advantage of it. It can be a easy to implement source of income for Carbine as well.​

Changing Appearance

There should be an option somewhere in the world where we can alter our character's appearance after the character creation screen. Anything from changing the color or style of hair to giving our draken longer horns. Guild Wars 2 kind of went the "Give us more money!" route by selling total makeover kits in their cash store, but I think most people prefer some kind of "Tailor" in the world. It could act as a gold sink this way to help balance economy. We could even have a tailor type piece of furniture for player houses.​

Changing Paths

I kind of have my doubts that this will ever be implemented, but it doesn't hurt to think about it. A lot of new players will pick a path and, after half a dozen levels, may decide that it's just not for them. I like the idea of the Explorer path, but I never liked jumping puzzles. At the same time, a high level character may have completely reached the apex of their path and want to try a new one on that character without making a new character. Likewise someone could reach a certain level and discover there's just way too many settlers running around. It would be nice if they had an option to retrain into another path from an NPC in world. Switching paths would lose all progress on the old path.​

None of these things would have to be in launch. They could be saved as an update months afterward. For the most part they're just little quality of life things.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

there's a beautiful thing about the Paths system though - they've said that they'll be giving you quests in the first couple levels that have to do with your path, so you can see if you like that path before you're stuck with it!

also, the path system is kinda like a Sub-class, you can't change your class unless you re-roll, why should you be able to change your path without re-rolling??
    Malorak and Zeebo like this.
  3. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

Like Kataryna I don't think we'll be likely to change our path at any point, but aren't the first two things pretty standard for MMOs these days? The implementation differs, but it seems like most games have them. Or at least the big titles do. I imagine that some time down the line, maybe in a year or so after launch, we'll have the option to name/appearance change.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I think the name change and character re customization options are a must for MMOs. People always want to change their characters, but only in slight ways because they still want to play that character and that class, but perhaps they want to spruce up their character's looks or get a cooler name. Making them microtransactions is a good idea too BUT I think there should be an in-game barbershop or something so if we only want to change minor things like hairstyle or color or perhaps tattoos or piercings, we won't have to pay real money but game money instead.
    Drarorm likes this.
  5. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

As long as they don't lock all recustomization into a paid-with-cash thing. An in-game barbershop is a must. Ideally, I'd like Rift's barber shop, where it literally takes you back to the character creation window where you can change everything about your character (save race/class/gender) for plat. But I'd settle for a barbershop that just let you change hairstyle/color and such.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  6. Xlugon Pyro

This would be perfect. I like the Rift one the most but I'd settle for the other as well. I'm a girl when I play MMOs so I like to change my hair often. :p
  7. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

In a sci-fi based world, it'd make sense to have a barber or the equivalent thereof. It'd also be nice if you could change things like scars and what-not if you like. Not sure about going as far as race or gender swaps, but appearance modifications should come fairly standard these days, for role-players and those who just want to swap haircuts around.

I'll put my full support behind this one.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

As far as I've seen, race and gender swaps have been exclusive to microtransactions as opposed to through in-game currency. I want those options available too so that players don't have to reroll their mains just because the want a new look. If we have to pay RL money, then that's fine as long as it's not astronomical.
  9. Dnevnoy

Dnevnoy Cupcake-About-Town

Personal preference would be to have barbershops that change hair but everything else would be unchangeable.

Edit: If I'm totally honest I actually like just making a character and sticking with it but I don't really mind changes to hair if others would like that in the game.
  10. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

Personally when I make a character, I do it right the first time. I've never purchased a 'makeover kit' in any game before. Now I will admit to having sat in the Barbershop Chair a few times during my stay on World of Warcraft but the feature I've always taken the most pleasure in using has got to be dyes like in Guild Wars 2 and being able to hide armor pieces like in Dragon's Prophet. I also enjoyed the ability to reposition, resize and place emblems on your armor from Firefall.
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I think that features such as name change, and re-customization are pretty much a given in MMOs these days. As some people have mentioned I think the big question is how those features will be monetized in Wildstar.

What I would love to see in Wildstar is a form of secondary character creation. How about a set of character creation options that open up to us players once our character reaches cap that or make it a feature of the first expansion. Something like aurin characters that reach level 60 now have the option to customize their tail with new and different bands. Or for Draken you can now have a scar or other battle injury to showcase your epic struggle to reach this character milestone. I just think it would be really cool to be able to add more visual flair to your seasoned, hard-fought characters to make them visually distinct. To my knowledge this hasn't been done before and it may be a pretty cool idea.

When it comes to character customization in most MMOs what you get at the very start of the game is it and I feel that there is so much more that could be done for these characters that we invest so much time into.
    Malorak, Seagrey, Psistorm and 3 others like this.
  12. Xlugon Pyro

This is actually a pretty neat idea. I'd like to see something like this implemented in a future patch or expansion. It would be like an added bonus for reaching level cap. :)
    Heart in the Stars and Jynetik like this.
  13. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

I'd love the option to unlock new hairstyles at lvl 30, 40 and 50. In a sense, you'd know at a glance about what level a char is.

The post has some great ideas.
  14. MMOPapa

Exile 1: OH S***, I'M UNDER ATTACK!
    Exile 2: By a Dominion?! What level is he?!
    Exile 1: JUDGING BY HIS GORGEOUS LOCKS OF FLOWING BLONDE HAIR, I'D SAY HE'S 50+
    Exile 2: ... *hangs up*
    Menchi, Sundae6AM, Kataryna and 3 others like this.
  15. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

No changing paths please.

want a new path, roll a new character, at least that's how i see it.

everything else i agree with
    Kataryna and MMOPapa like this.
  16. Sol

Sol Cupcake-About-Town

Barbershop's should be implemented at launch imo. I mean how hard can it be to have a character creation tool in game? You don't need to have additional skins/ models - just access to the same stuff from creation screen.

And those that say no to changing appearance I'll just assume that you've never changed your personal appearance once since birth, including hair style =)
  17. MMOPapa

I can see a fault in having a barbershop in-game. I mean... it all depends on how the company looks at it. You have Blizzard, who is pretty giving when it comes to features. Then on the other hand you have SOE, who is a complete <REDACTED> when it comes to charging players real money for every action they want to take. Want to respec your talents? Station Cash! Want to unlock additional <CENSORED> slots? Station Cash! So it all depends on how Carbine wants to do it... Changing a person's appearance? I can see it being charged for. Charging for respecs though? That's a frown upon. :down:
  18. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I'm thinking its ok having a barber shop that allows a re-styling. Changing a race or gender should perhaps be either cash shop (if they will have one), or carry a heftier price tag with cooldown, so you have more commitment to your choices. Could be monetized as cash shop for non-subscribers and as ingame currency to subscribers or something. But either way, payment aside.

I am fully in favor of earning other hairstyles or accessories for future or current characters by means of gameplay. This definitely doesn't need to be an at-launch thing, but it is a fun concept for dedicated players. You could do quite a bit with horn styles, hair styles etc I'm sure.
  19. Byronyk

Byronyk New Cupcake

The issue with changing paths is you have three kinds of people:

> "Choices should matter"
    > "MMO's are all about customization"
    > "I don't care."

Ignoring the last point, the first two are fundamental differences of opinion. On one hand, choices should have impact on your characters development but on the other hand, an MMO is built to allow your character as much customization as possible to make it feel like it is the players decisions that matter.

I tend to lean towards point two because I have a different opinion on what "choices" is defined by. As a raider, I prefer to customize my character to preform at 100% for any encounter. The choice to change my path because it offers an ability superior to another path IS the choice I care about. I'm not saying that changing paths should be easy or free, but that having it as an option would be optimal.
  20. Sol

Sol Cupcake-About-Town

Fore sure; it all comes down to the payment model. Personally, I much prefer subscription systems like WoW where everything is offered in game and all I need to worry about it paying my sub to access 100% of the content. Neverwinter was great until everything required Zen coins and that was the end of that for me.

GW2 I felt had a good balance between cash shop/free content because they charged a box fee. I'm over the free-to -play stuff as while lets you trial the game for free, I ultimately get annoyed at having to purchase stuff all the time and find it breaks the immersion of the game and becomes tedious.