1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Character customization

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by McGamer, May 30, 2013.

1. Rackham

Rackham Cupcake

The point I was trying to make, McGamer, was that Neverwinter was a prime example where a vast array of sliders did NOT work. Even though they looked like you had a lot of options, you really didn't and the models sucked majorly.

Yes, I have seen far better character customizations out there. For example:

DCUO (at least from a costume standpoint) had great options.

SWTOR sucked. They were all just variations on a theme. Guys with horns, guys with tatts, guys with funny hairdos.

Warhammer Online : Not bad, depending on what race you selected. Greenskins were awesome, but the Order side lacked variety. (Except Slayers)

LOTRO: Some goods (like dwarfs, but could have used more beard styles) and some really bads (elves.)

DDO: More of the same with the above mentioned MMOs.

Star Trek Online: Pretty much the top I would say in terms of customization. Man, you could create some pretty funky looking aliens. Slides ranged from absurdly deformed to amazing results. All MMOs should look to STO for customization options.

WoW: Bare bones. Oddly enough it has worked enough for people for years. Even after forum thread after forum thread demanding they update the character models. (I remember even back in TBC people were screaming for it)

So... yeah. I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to character customizations in MMOs today.
  2. TanielianVB

TanielianVB New Cupcake

That's why i'm saying that body customizations are needed, the first look of your char is his body type / height. After that the hair choice and skin color and on and on and on...

That's why im saying i would like some body sliders... more hair choices would be nice too...

I don't know.... the more the merrier?! hehehe...
    McGamer likes this.
  3. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I would be perfectly happy without any body sliders, or different body shapes as part of the character creation cocktail, however for all the development time and money (often the same thing) that is being saved by not having them I would expect some additional character customization options elsewhere.

Look when it comes right down to it people want a few simple things from character customization:

- A Blank slate state to build off of

The very best in user generated content comes from a blank slate where you are given plenty of pieces to play with and create things, but little to no initial structure that determines what you will end up with. Since Wildstar isn't City of Heroes / Villains what Carbine should be aiming for is to give players a wide array of choices in all categories in order to foster that creative spirit. Pidgin-holing players with a half dozen similar faces for example would be doing it wrong.

- Good array of choices and features to add personality

Personality and flair is important and striking features matter. Some character creation systems suffer from offering too little or too small of choices that leave players feeling like they can't really make themselves stand out or be different. Instead of 3-4 hair color options that are all variations on brown or blonde how about crazy space hair that is pink / blue / rainbow colored, or how about hair that changes color with the time of day or something?

- Ability to create unique combinations

Adding on to the previous point, you need to have enough options to make it sort of difficult for 2 players to look nearly identical. I'd argue that five is not enough, I know that the permutations on five choices with anywhere between 4 and 10 sub-choices comes out to a really big number but again people want to really stand out and be unique and to do that you need a lot of choices.

- Expressive end results

At the end of it all your character creation scheme needs to be churning out interesting, vibrant, and different looking results that allow players to really say something about themselves long before they start dying their super-awesome end game (excuse me ELDER GAME) armor. If your character creator has good creative potential, big distinct options, and lots of different choices for unique combinations you should get that.

--- --- ---​

People create characters for a number of reasons and different people have different levels of investment in how their character looks. A lot of people just don't really care and mash the random button to get their virtual stat manniquin to drive through the game with on their way to fame and glory at the top of leaderboards. Others like Roleplayers get obsessive with character creation, relishing each and every little detail that they can squeeze out of the system to use as fodder to further fuel their craft and express themselves in-game.

I personally, like most people fall somewhere in between. I love to tinker with character creation systems and play dress-up all day long with my little virtual selves and some games do this far better than others. Going back to my original point, what I would love to see in a Wildstar MMO with no body sliders / body options is a focus on offering tons of interesting, zany head options. I want to be walking around a starting zone and just be blown away by the other characters standing around me asking "wow that's a cool hair / jewelry combination!" or "I would never have thought to use that face with that x option" etc... Characters should be interesting and varied well before you put on any gear and a good character creation system will do that.

Let's use my favorite example: Female Draken; what I want from female Draken character creation is something like:

A dozen or so crazy hair styles using both hair and spines / spikes or kerrigan hair tentacles with decorative options such as braids / hair ties / skulls (skulls are always a good option).

Hair colors: These are crazy barbarian space dragon / demon people, it would be an awful waste of potential to give them only brown / light brown / and black hair color options. How about some iridescent colors to match the scale theme going on? How about some pinks / greens / blues to show their more exotic nature?

A dozen or so sick horn designs that range from traditional animal horns to jagged deadly spikes, or razor edged nightmare protrusions. How about a horn option where our Draken has decided that it would be better to bolt on sharp metal tips to her horns, or knives / blades?

A wide array of face options that show the full gambit of what can be pushed out of the female Draken envelope. Faces so scary that they will make grown aurin cry, and faces so alluring that they will take a male granok's breath away. I want a large range so that we as players are not forced into a single fantasy when playing these races.

Skin color / patterns. The Draken have a really animalistic thing going on. There are a million different sources to pull cool skin patterns and colors from. Leopard print, tiger stripes, boa constrictor scale patterns, spiny shark skin, etc... go nuts.

Jewelry... earrings, nose piercings, lip piercings, eyebrow piercings, collarbone piercings, again these are space dragon / demon barbarians, primitive cultures here on our little dirt ball often have interesting piercing practices, use some of those (except the mud plate in the bottom lip, don't do that please).

Scars is probably the lowest hanging fruit of Draken customization options, such a fierce race that prides itself on hunting and killing things probably loves scars, testaments of hard fought battles. Missing eyes, broken horns, face scars, body scars, chewed off ears, there is a treasure trove of options here that most Draken players would adore to have access to (I know I would).

--- --- ---​

Those are just a few examples. Like I said I am perfectly happy to have no body sliders / body type options as long as some of that savings in dev cost is put to use to give us additional options elsewhere.
    Xemma and McGamer like this.
  4. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

@Rackham:

I admit you are right about Neverwinter ineffectively using sliders.

The only MMOs I believe to have ever had good character customization was Star Wars Galaxies, Rift, APB, Second Life, EVE Online, Everquest 2, Aion, Tera, and Champions Online (Star Trek Online was only a clone of CO with a diff skin).
  5. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

City of Heroes Character Generator.

/thread
    Hoody likes this.
  6. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

No thanks. City of X had good options for costumes, but horribly generic character creation options IMO.
  7. Steampunkette

Face structure sliders + Body Sliders + Alternate Skins + Skin Color customization... And then you get into robotic arms and digitigrade leg/feet structures... Body spikes... Wings! There were some significant options, there, to make the base character different from other base characters without changing the costume.

And THEN the costume generator was huge on top of that.

If Wildstar had CoH's depth of character changes and the Wildstar base models I'd be ecstatic. It won't. But I would.

-Rachel-
    Hoody likes this.
  8. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

I bet you were a fan of the steampunk pack ;)
  9. Steampunkette

*sob* I totally was! All of my characters. All of my costumes...

S'why I'm trying to make a new superhero MMO, now.

-Rachel-
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

As far as character creators I always thought City of Heroes and Champions Online were the best for the sheer number of options that we had and with superhero games, it was nearly impossible to have two characters look alike. I liked that. It made my characters feel unique.
  11. TanielianVB

TanielianVB New Cupcake

That's what I'm looking for.... unique... that's why I insist in body types... how can a Esper have the same amount of muscles than a Warrior?!

Again, I'm not asking for Aion, Guild Wars 2 should be ok... but as i said before... I espect a lot from this game... It would be nice if it was something totally of the hook. ;)
    McGamer likes this.
  12. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

I know for me personally I hope that no matter what level of character customization Carbine adds, they at least add a barbershop.

Because I cannot count the number of times after leveling quite a bit that I start to notice dozens of other players who chose the same options which makes me want to find the nearest barbershop.
    TanielianVB and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  13. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

I might be showing my ignorance of the targeting system employed in this game, so forgive me if I'm horribly wide of the mark :) , but wouldn't adjusting a character's dimensions make some annoying harder to hit in PvP than others?

Regards.
  14. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

No, because hit is determined by a universally-sized hitbox that has nothing to do with the shape of the character model.

Some games in the past have had this issue, but seeing that there is already a large size difference in all races in WS, the size does not create an issue for a character to be hit.
    Anthony Pemberton likes this.
  15. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

Okay, that's good to know :).

But still trying to get my head around the concept, would that mean I'd be looking to hit a specific region, eg the torso on larger characters? And will that region be highlighted?

Regards.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

There definitely needs to be a barbershop in Wildstar or something like it. The ability to change appearance similar to how we can do it IRL (hair, makeup, tattoos, accessories) is a much desired customization feature. :) It's one of my favorite features that MMOs can implement.
    TanielianVB likes this.
  17. TanielianVB

TanielianVB New Cupcake

SO TRUE! Barbershops are a must have!
  18. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

I'm a little nervous because every time I've heard a dev asked about character customization they always bring up face sliders, and then change the subject. I'm yet to hear one say body sliders. I actually care more about the body sliders personally, as my characters silhouette is far more visable then the exact curve of my nose.

I don't need to be able to change every single aspect, but height, perhaps overall bulk, something to tone down the chestiness of characters. When I create my Aurin Esper I want her to be slender and lithe. I might want my warrior to be tall and muscular.
    McGamer and TanielianVB like this.
  19. TanielianVB

TanielianVB New Cupcake

TOTALLY AGREE!
  20. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Based on earlier vids I saw, unless something big has changed, we will not have body sliders. Maybe height at most. : /