1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Check out my Phat Lootz! (Loot in Wildstar)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by ImmortalExile, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

How important is it? How important is the quality of drops, the "trash"/vendor drops, etc?
    Personally, I am a loot whore. I love loot. I don't care what it is, but when I go to click on my recently defeated enemy, I look forward to my loot. Sure, 99% gets either sold to a vendor, or given away, but, that 2% that is an upgrade to my gear, or some more crafting supplies, or CURRENCY.... love it.

I'm not thinking EVERYTHING should drop loot, but I hope the diversity of loot is something similar to WoW, Diablo, Torchlight, etc. That being said, when it comes to professions (or whatever they will be called) I hope to see some recipe drops. I hope to see some "rare" drops as well, even cosmetic drops. Maybe a badge of some sort worn long, long ago that we can put on our gear as a cosmetic piece.

I'm not sure how many folks actually care, or if they care like I do. The diversity of it is what really interests me. For some reason, in The Old Republic, looting didn't have that same appeal to me.
    How important is loot to you?
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I like loot a lot too, even if it is just cosmetic. The only thing that bothers me is finding loot that does not make sense on a mob. I should not get weapons/armor/gold from wasp or pig. I should get parts for alchemy or cooking or something else that makes sense.
  3. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah drops should match the thing that's dropping it. Animals should drop animal bits, for trade skills and vendor trash. The old Grey = Trash, White = Useful but why not Green rare trade skill items as well? stuff you won't need in large amounts or might sell for better to another player rather than to a vendor.

In any MMO loot is an important measure of progress.
    Evion likes this.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I too love loot. I love raiding with friends more than loot, but you kind of have to have both. The biggest thing about loot for me is that the quality of the loot (in my opinion) should be relative to the difficulty of the mob (or boss) dropping it.

I think SWTOR did this wrong when they dropped Tier 2 gear in Hard Mode effectively negating any reason to do Nightmare unless you were trying to progress. So, I hope WildStar makes loot drops make sense. "Oh you killed the hardest boss in the game? Here's some kick ass loot for doing that."

In short, I have no problem with most of the loot being useless for my class/build/path, as long as I get some drops that are an upgrade for me. I kind of like grinding bosses for good drops.
  5. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Mmm, I do love me some large stringed instruments... Oh, right, "phat loot" not "fat lute." >.> Well, I do like loot too! Even just grey trash that's appropriate flavor for the mobs I'm killing. I'll stuff my bags full of the stuff. It only becomes annoying when you're trying to clean up all 20 of the mobs you slaughtered in an AoE spree before they despawn. I think Rift handled this best with their AoE looting. One click gave you everything from a small circle around you. And I like SWTOR's system of vendorint junk in the field using your companion. Perhaps Wildstar could adopt that with pack bots?
  6. Tiktak

I vaguely remember that the V key is going to suck up all the lutes from recent mobs you've killed. I don't know what radius that's going to be though. Don't quote me on this, I haven't gone looking through released snippets looking for the information!

Being able to vendor junk in the field would be nice. perhaps a temporary thing Settlers can put down out in the wilds? Sounds like their sort of thing.
  7. JarNod

That's similar to how the Secret World loot system worked.
  8. Tiktak

Is going to work you mean? Well it makes sense. No-one likes running around to each corpse and clicking it to grab the loot. Just hit a button and move on. It does keep to the games style. Momentum. Keep things moving, keep it fun.
  9. JarNod

I love the "send your companion away" button as well. So handy when you're out questing. I can't count the number of times I've been frustrated when I was playing Vanilla WoW when I ended up with my bags full because I forgot to sell.
  10. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I love loot, what I don't like is loot stealing so something like Diablo3 or Gw2 where that can't happen is something I would like.
  11. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

I don't generally like getting trash loot. Granted I'll take it if it's there but if it's only usefulness is to be sold to a vender I feel like it's a waste of space. As a crafter I prefer loot that can be salvaged and used in recipes. I also like gear drops, upgrades, and trophies.
  12. Tiktak

Grays that can either be sold or broken down for trade-skill parts? Not a bad idea.
  13. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I liked in the first Guild Wars you could salvage crafting ingredients from some trash loot. If this were implemented I'd be all for it!
  14. JarNod

I think your crafting/salvaging idea is a good one, but if they just dropped currency, the game would feel a little less immersive to me. Sure, it's kind of a pain to have a full inventory and have to sell all my loot, but there's small irritations like that in the world too. Everything streamlined makes me feel like I'm on a theme park ride instead of exploring a world.
  15. Tiktak

The Settler. For all your loot woes.

Seriously. If they could drop little vending machines for dropping loot into and turning into in game currency, in the middle of no-where or just in every quest area without a vender of some kind... We'll all love them to bits!
  16. Frozenoak

Oh, I quite agree. Junk is necessary but I think it should all be usable somehow/by someone. Let's say I'm out killing rabbits. I am a Granok Warrior Soldier and I'm a weaponcrafter. When I loot said rabbits I would expect to get fur, meat, and bones. For me the fur might be junk. Meat could obviously be food. As a weaponcrafter I might however be able to salvage a stack of bones into some raw material useful for making a weapon. Back to the junk fur, maybe the human spellslinger explorer next to me is an armorcrafter and can salvage a stack of fur into something useful in armorcrafting. We could trade in field and potential double our efforts and reduce our junk pile. I don't think the rabbit should drop any currency, unless rabbit teeth are used as currency ;-)

I would also like to be able to loot whatever weapon and armor my opponent was just using against me (assuming he was using any). If it's junk, fine, let me (or someone) salvage it. And if we happen to conquer Metal Maw (or any large boss) I think the Settler should be able to use parts of the carcass as a building material for his next project. It would be pretty neat to see Metal Maw's faceplate as a window in the next town I come to.
    JarNod likes this.
  17. JarNod

A lot of really good ideas in your post, but I'm just wondering why as a Granok Warrior Soldier, you're killing rabbits... unless they look like this:
    [​IMG]
  18. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

OMG IT'S BUNNICULA!
  19. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Waaaaaaaah. D:

Well thank you for that nightmare fuel! I'll sure sleep well tonight!

(Quick, someone get the Holy Hand Grenade of Antiock!)

Back on topic, I do love the idea of using big baddy pieces in structures/trophies. I did like the WoW armor/weapon loots that were thematically tied with the bosses they dropped from, such as claws/fangs for daggers and swords, or the boss's weapon. That stuff was fun.
  20. Frozenoak

I my scenario the only reason I'd be hunting rabbits is for the salvageable bits and I would hope that even if that were possible it would only useful at the earliest levels. I was trying to convey a scale from rabbits to Metal Maw.

P.S. That is a disturbing Photo.