1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Chua and the Dominion

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Rackham, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Rackham

Rackham Cupcake

Does anyone get a feeling like the Chua were actually meant for the Exiles originally?

I mean, they're awfully cute and comical looking to be part of a large interstellar military power that ruthlessly crushes civilizations under it's thumb.

And the Exile <redacted> "undead" race seems a little too ... well.... undead to be part of a "plucky" band of rebels.

I have some suspicions that Carbine took a look at the two races way back at the beginning and thought said: "Maybe both sides should have a "furry" race? Let's swap them with the <redacted> so that then both sides can also have a dark emo race."

Being Carbine, I'm sure they came up with logical reasons for each races' backstory as to why they're fighting for each side. But does anyone else get that sense that they weren't originally intended for the side their on now?
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Interesting perspective there.
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

nope! Chua are evil scientists - the cute part is why the Dominion in the Dominion trailer refused to talk about them - too silly but too valuable to the Dominion to kick 'em out

Plus - Carbine's just being smart - a cute race on each side, and evil sounding races on each side
    BlindSear, Mad Zon, Chim and 3 others like this.
  4. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Now should there ever be a neutral race in Wildstar alá Pandaren?
    McGamer likes this.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

No.
  6. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Care to elaborate? I have no opinion in this matter really but I don't mind hearing the opinions of others.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

I don't like having the same race on both factions. It's hard to justify lore wise as well while still being taken seriously. Either have race-restricted factions or race-inclusive factions: all or nothing.
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

NO. Esp if there's no cross-faction communication (and i dislike cross-faction communication) - "i could talk to that other Panda just 10 mins ago, but now that i chose to be Ally instead of Horde i've somehow forgotten how to communicate with her!!"
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Just one of many lorefail examples.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I really hope that Wildstar doesn't fall into the no-cross faction communication. At the least, we should be able to send the other side tells and see any local chat. I mean, how else are we going to be able to ask a mechari if they are still in beta?
  11. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

I dont have an opinion either way on this, but what about how we already have the same race in both factions ? (Humans).
  12. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

They do, they're called humans.

....yea I know the other ones are called cassians but let's not split hairs.
    Tribe likes this.
  13. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Not sure I agree on this. I always liked how you could'nt properly converse cross faction in wow, and had to use emotes. It helps with the whole rivalry intention of an opposing faction setup.
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. Naut

Naut New Cupcake

Humans, while they have different names, are on both sides and at this point look pretty similar. They aren't neutral in the same sense the panderans are but they're definitely common ground.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Good point. Hadn't thought of that before but the two human races were painted very vividly into the lore and represent two dissident factions. I guess my issue is with two fictional races being on opposite sides when others can't be based on some poorly written lore (WoW's pandaren in other words).
  16. Domi Dayglow

It just seems to make more sense to me that, even if there is a language barrier, there would still be a common 'galactic' language that can be understood in local chat. Though, I could still see individual racial languages. But, I also really didn't like world of warcraft at all.
  17. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

I believe that every evil empire needs a very silly mad scientist, entertaining as he is deadly, and that every "plucky band of thieves and mercenaries" needs someone to represent the "ugly" side of their lives.

Lets face it: the Exiles have had to do some pretty ugly things to survive out in a dog-eat-dog world like the Fringe. And who of the Exile races do you think could stomach ICI-level information business and the "removal of problematic individuals" like the [REDACTED]?

Stylistically speaking, think of it as a balancing act:

Humans - Cassians -- De facto "Go us!" jack-of-all-trades faction. Nothing special, and a good, inherently neutral choice.

Capable of fulfilling any role, but not stuck in any particular personality because humans are the most genetically and culturally diverse species in the galaxy. (IMO: blech.)

Aurin - Chua -- "Cute," scientific race. Obviously meant to be an EXTREMELY divisive race, for those that like their races a bit sillier and more adorable, or their cold-blooded killers to be more interesting and entertaining. (Aurin ARE hunters, after all.)

The "Smart Guy" who develops their faction's toys, or helps improve them.

Granok - Draken -- Proud Warrior Race Guys. Shock troopers and the like, these guys are your go-to for anything that has "front line" in the name. If a LOT of things need to be dead, count on these guys to get it done.

Think the Klingon from Star Trek; a species for whom battle is in their blood.

Finally, the [REDACTED] - Mechari. These guys are your "sneaky" guys, taking care of the dirty business and politics that keeps any large group running. They handle all matters of information, things best kept away from the public eye, and as I said, the "removal" of problematic individuals and groups.

What the other three can't stomach, these guys do out of a strong sense of pragmatism and duty.
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

People even say cats are ''cute''......well mayby they are form the outside...but if you could only see them how they really are:
    [​IMG]
    Chua = the same, cute from the outside, but you don't wanna meet their inner demon!

Well tbh, even within the Cassian society they speak different languages and not all can understand each other.
    See it as if the earth would be united, but 1/3 talked English (lower Cassians) 1/3 talked Japanese (higher Cassians) 1/3 talked Dutch (Luminai)
    We would be all ''united and 1 race'' but mayby not always able to understand/talk to eachother. So they can be ''completely'' different from their Cassian counter-parts.

Also do you know how long both humans have been seperated?

Chad Moore said:
    But to be precise, the exact number of years was: 287 years ago

In 287 years, people can change their language by huge amounts (go check your nations language 300 years ago), and mayby they've have cross-bred? Aurins/humans = humans with fluffy tails.

Don't forget the influences that the Granok, Aurin, <REDACTZOIDS> may have had on the ''human'' language/habbits etc. etc.

So lore allows it, to not be able to speak to the Dominion counter parts as an Exile human, and thus can the humans be seen as a ''neutral race''? For me it doesn't.
    For me personally ~300 years is big enough to have gained enough ''differences'' (language/looks/behaviour/morals/rules/etc./etc.) from the other ''humans''.

But it's all how you look at it, from what perspective. And this is how I see it ;)
    Chim likes this.
  19. Domi Dayglow

Chua scare me now.

And they probably invented the planet harvesters that ravaged the aurin homeworld!
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Check this thread for the answers :D

I'll quote the Mechari part:
    So you can communicate with the Mechari to some degree :p
    Domi Dayglow likes this.