1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Chua and the Dominion

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Rackham, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Extatica is my new favoritest person! :inlove:
    Extatica likes this.
  2. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

I would rather there was, but many modern gamers are not familiar with efficiently balanced 3 faction MMOS such as SWG, & DAoC.

As far as the Chua go, Carbine seems to enjoy abstract concepts so Chua being with the Dominion makes sense to me.
  3. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

The biggest problem is that every faction you add requires another entire game's worth of aligned content.

Unless you take the cheap road and make much of the content accessible to all sides and only a small portion of it devoted to factional politics or focus.

-Rachel-
  4. FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster Cupcake

If there ever was a neutral race added, I hope it to be the Eldan. I think it makes some sense because it was originally their planet. Maybe they just felt like hiding for many many years and wonder what the heck all these jerks are doing on their planet, and after so many years of these jerks being on their planet, it would be an absolute horror to just eradicate ALL of them, so then they would pick a side, and may the best Eldan-aligned faction win!

BRB writing my first WildStar fan fiction.
  5. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

No....

But i think there should always be a 3 sided conflict..
  6. Domi Dayglow

Hubby keeps babbling about Warhammer 40k online. Mostly I tune him out and remind him that Wildstar is bestest, but he did babble a lot yesterday that the new one will have like 5 factions or something.
  7. banang1337

banang1337 New Cupcake

the same probably with the werewolves dudes for the alliance back at wow and blood elves for horde.

they don't want people to only go for aesthetics when deciding for a race. if you only have ugly dudes on one side but want to play a pretty/cute avatar you maybe have to settle for a faction ideology you don't agree with.

so IMO everything was planned this way.
    McGamer and Apostate like this.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Except I WILL have to settle for a faction ideology I don't agree with if I choose draken! It's practically a stalemate between aurin and draken ATM and the aurin win primarily because they're with the Exiles. :p
  9. banang1337

banang1337 New Cupcake

how i see the archetypes for the factions:

brutish doofus: Granok vs Draken
    cute mascot: Aurin vs Chua
    techno sci-fi: Mordesh vs Mechari
    plain and simple: Human vs Cassian

so why not just choose the dominion equivalent of the aurins?
  10. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

I don't see archetypes. I see rivalries.

Chua vs Redactoids: Science for it's own Sake and Science to Survive
    Draken vs Granok: Violence as Art and Honor and Violence as Fun
    Aurin vs Mechari: Natural Order vs Unnatural Creations
    Exiles vs Cassians: Chaos vs Order

-Rachel-
    Chim likes this.
  11. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Because the Chua is not the dominion counterpart to Aurin.
  12. Johnhandcock

Johnhandcock Cupcake

Its not hard to justify. 1 race doesn't equate to 1 faction.

There are currently over 200 countries on Earth, and numerous more extinct nationalities. There have also been countless power struggles and civil wars within these nations throughout history. Yet, all of these nations supposedly represented our one race during history.
    McGamer and Mellkor like this.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

It depends on how the lore is written and sometimes the story is just bad. From a game perspective, factions become more interesting when they contain specific races and cultures. It's more of a flavor thing to be honest. Real world examples can only be a factor to a minimal extent as to how games should function.
  14. banang1337

banang1337 New Cupcake

McGamer likes this.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

If anything, I think Carbine is intentionally creating race-to-race rivalries (I could be wrong but it's too good of an idea to pass up lore-wise). They'll probably mirror the opposing race on Wildstar's race page. This means that the aurin's rivals would be the Dominion's unrevealed race (the chua presumably) and the mechari's rivals will likely be a biological counterpart, perhaps also a race constructed by another.

Maybe this:

Human-Cassian
    The leaders of their respective factions. Nomadic, adaptive humans versus the cultured and decadent cassians!

Granok-Draken
    A rivalry centered on fighting. They're both big. They're both strong. They're both fierce. One kills for profit, the other kills for fun. Perfect rivals.

Aurin-Chua
    Furry rivals! They're both the shortest races on their factions. One reveres nature and protects it, the other doesn't give a f*ck and will blow sh*t up. A short, furry fight between nature-lovers and explosion-lovers!

???-Mechari
    Both potentially engineered through another means and brought into existence not through biological means but through the hands of mortals. They're designed for excellence in key tasks and cover a special niche that isn't well filled by other races. These two throw a uniqueness into the Dominion-Exiles conflict, as their presence on the battlefield throws the traditional methods of warfare on its head. They are marvels of technological advancement and they make it known in battle.

That's my take anyway. We'll see how it looks when Carbine gives us the last races and the juicy info on them!
    McGamer likes this.
  16. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

You base your information on how they're arranged on a website? That's a pretty terrible way in my opinion. I'd much rather look at the races themselves and make a comparison.

The Chua have nothing in common or are opposite of to the Aurin, besides having animalistic traits. The Chua feels like the developers saw Asian games and went "We have got to have a little furry dude in the game! No matter what!".

The Draken on the other hand feel much more like the counterpart. They're both beast-like, with Aurin being the "pretty" ones and draken being the "mean" ones. Aurin are a peace-loving race with Drakens being a warrior-like race. They also share a similar physiology.
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  17. Domi Dayglow

I feel that Aurin-Draken feel more of a match too. They just fit. And the draken probably made up a lot of the original invasion force of the aurin's home when the Dominion came too.
  18. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

It actually is as simple as Carbine wanting something for everyone regardless of what faction you picked.

You want something cute looking, you got aurin on one hand chua on the other
    You want something evil looking, you got draken on one hand and "that other race we are not yet to name" on the other
    You want something non humanoid unique looking, granok on one hand and mechnari on the other.

And of course both sides have their "human" considering their popularity.

Because lore wise you won't see much logic as they aren't all directly involved with each other or at least in terms of "sworn enemies" more or less so than any other race.
  19. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Pandas aside, I always thought it made little sense lore-wise or otherwise why different races that inhabit the same world would not be able to learn one another's language. A lazy solution by that game's devs.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  20. Xlugon Pyro

I loved how EQ2 allowed you to learn other languages. It was pretty neat. I'd love to see something like that added in more MMOs.