1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Circuit Board Crafting: Random Chips Discussion

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Gortok, May 11, 2013.

1. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

From this example -

I assume these are both fused sockets? So if there are sockets C and D that are un-fused do they come from an overall list from the dungeon? Or does each item have a list for those un-fused sockets too?

Also, am I then correct in assuming that if you find "perfect" tank gear then the un-fused sockets are more likely to roll DPS or healing chips? (I am assuming that it rolls fused sockets first)
  2. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

What's the difference between 'fused' chips and 'locked' chips?
  3. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

The only part of this post that I wish to address:
    You can't wear costumes that you don't acquire. You can't acquire raid gear without... doing the raids. So costuming does not in any way affect you being able to prance around in your 1337 gear like in the glorious days of old. Even better, you will still be able to show off your awesome gear when the expansion comes out, if you are so inclined.
    Ascary, Zilvoran, Xorkrik and 2 others like this.
  4. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

Okay, okay. I need a recap for dumb people like me. Only for raiding, because no one cares about min-maxing on before top level.

1) Gear has power and schematic.
    2) Chips are stat things, that fit into schematic and feed on power.
    3) There are fused chips, that define an item and who could use best use of it. In the wild those fused are random variable, in raiding they are fixed and always same.

What distribution of power on raid and high lvl pvp items are to fused chips vs customizable chips?
  5. CRB_Gortok

Interesting quirk you have actually stumbled onto. The unfused chips generally come from a different random chip. This random chip may often be dungeon specific, rather than item specific. (We can actually have a random chip that will give both fused and unfused chips, and there may be some instances of this, but it probably wont be the norm)

The interesting part is, since you can't roll the same base chip twice, what you get in the fused and the open slots cannot be the same. So if you roll Crit in an unlocked slot, you wont get that in any other slot.

The way this is determined is based on the order of the sockets on the schematic. It almost always rolls top to bottom, mid row first, then right hand side row. We have 9 socket IDs on each schematic, but there are potentially 13 different places a socket can be - it rolls them in order of ID. There is a standard pattern for assigning IDs, and its as I described above. Too much info?
    Bainik and Batzorig like this.
  6. John

John "That" Cupcake

This to me captures the essence of your post, and the very thing that I grew to dislike about WoW. The game felt too much in the players control, imo. The world ceased to be a giant, epic adventure where every monster was out to kill you, and instead became a neat little day trip carefully planned out to get you to your destination as safely as possible.

I like the world being bigger than me as a player. I like things like random enchantments and gear that is *not* optimized for me. Having things tailor made to always benefit you makes the game world feel like its laying down a nice red carpet for you to easily walk to victory...whats the fun in that? I want to play in a game where things are out to get me, and I gotta work to get through it.
    JoeDragon, Jeuraud, kiri and 2 others like this.
  7. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

Did the raid game for a long time at a competitive level and have to say that I like the ideas that I'm seeing here. Static drops never really sat well with me ever since the one and only warlock that showed up the one night that all the warlock gear in the world dropped ended up getting 5 pieces of best in slot one raid and somehow never wanted to show up again. Couldn't blame her I guess, where's the incentive after that? :)

Pure random loot drops are obviously not going to work very well either, but having some randomness on drops that can be removed and slotted elsewhere should end up increasing the amount of viable loot that appears in raids. Thinking back to my Warcraft days, if we could have removed parts of all the spell plate that dropped we may have ended up with a better geared raid and a lot less sharded paladin healing loot that was no good for anyone after the healing paladin got geared.

I obviously can't speak on systems that I don't know much about, but has their been any thought to some sort of reforging feature? Perhaps through crafting? Having an excuse to hammer away on drops to improve them could make crafting more useful endgame if it's done intelligently. Perhaps through some sort of reverse engineering process or something that is hopefully a bit less random.

This also could be good for people looking to carve out niche roles for themselves as well, even if they're not 100% min/maxed. Gear that is tanky and healy may work out for someone that likes PvP for instance. Might not be 100% efficient for raiding, but meh. Could be interesting.
  8. CRB_Gortok

Yes
    Yes. There are also specials chips (3 variants: Ability, Set, Item Challenges)
    Some of them will be fixed in raiding. Some of them will be variable. The variable ones will be intended to be useful for a few specific specs.

Roughly 30-40% of an items power will be locked in. The rest will be customizable with limitations:
    • The sockets' power flow is determined by the schematic.
    • Some chips require a certain amount of power to be used
    • You cannot have two chips of the same base stat.
    • Some chips will be restricted to specific item slots only (for example, Shield Capacity only goes on Shield and Support Systems slots, move speed specials only go on boots)
    Zilvoran, Salamangka, Xorkrik and 2 others like this.
  9. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

idk if anyone asked this but there won't be requirements for sockets right? for example, to put a chip into a socket, I won't be required to have a certain amount of strength on a sword first or something right? I can imagine people unfamiliar with the system putting intellect type chips(generalizing I know it's not called intel in this game) into a soldier sword or something even if it doesn't benefit them lol or will it be like soldier swords will be guided toward either stacking strength crit armor type chips through milestone type stuff?
  10. Sabre070

Any fused sockets for a Warrior's sword would not roll wis/dex/mag but I'd assume that a player would be able to put in those stats into the unfused sockets.

I don't believe the stats are designed so that wis/dex/mag are completely useless for warrior though (and vice versa).
    CRB_Gortok likes this.
  11. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

So we are talking about Extra Bonkers Fusion of SWTOR gear customization and WoW gear customization? Sounds... pretty complicated on paper, if you think about all backstage manipulations that are going on. Also you are crazy, if you think it will be possible to make official ingame gear scores for each and every class with this kind of behemoth.
  12. CRB_Gortok

We are looking at Elder Game crafting presently. Circuit Board Crafting was originally just a crafting experience, but we decided to open it up to everyone because it was interesting enough, and we did not like the idea of people having to find a crafter to fix their gear for every little upgrade. Now every item in the game has a CBC schematic built into it. Crafted items have to be filled out in advance, but can mostly be modified afterwards.

We are looking at some systems that will allow us to have a given crafter make at most 1 BiS item after a certain amount of research and progression. I think the game as a whole got better with CBC going mainstream, but the implication is that crafting gear became less interesting, because you are basically just putting in temporary stuff that will be replaced later.

We don't have support for really changing schematics. We do have an ability to have different crafters actually make different schematics, though. For example, you might have two crafters that make the same recipe, but one results in a schematic with one fewer locked chip, or even one extra socket.
    Zilvoran, Xorkrik, Yakzan and 2 others like this.
  13. CRB_Gortok

Honestly I was pretty excited when I first saw SWtOR gear. I think we had been working on this system for maybe a few months when it came out. Then I realized that they had removed all the choice and I was a sad panda.

The systems is incredibly complex on paper, honestly. It is surprisingly intuitive when you get your hands on it, though. We have to deal with all the complexity on the back end so that it seems simple but still gives a ton of depth of choice.
  14. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

Re-thinking about what you said here, was hoping for a little clarification. Does this mean that PvP gear will have a lower focus on modification than PvE gear? Is the intent that the best gear will be used 'as is' by almost everyone who obtains it, or simply that everyone will have the same 'gear starting point', and how they re-chip/modify their PvP gear will be a part of their success?
  15. CRB_Gortok

These types of requirements will not exist. There will only be Power Requirements on chips. I believe you wont even be able to put the chip in if it doesn't meet the requirement.

Power Requirements work as such:
    You have a chip with 350 Power Requirement that gives scaling Moxie+40 health.
    If an item has 1000 Power, then it will need at least 35% of that Power going to a stat socket before you can put the chip in.
  16. CRB_Gortok

The second one. PvPers will still have to customize their gear. They will need to get chips that have flat bonuses to PvP stats on them. These chips will likely come from extracting them out of gear you get out of loot bags from participating in PvP events.

Dinner time. Catch you guys later
    Kataryna and Batzorig like this.
  17. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

ahh nice well then that's all I care about lol I just don't like limitation even if it's for my own good..i like having the option to mess up...if that makes sense :up: thanks for the info I see you've been doin work answering a bajillion questions about this subject so I appreciate the clarification
  18. Sabre070

Thanks for your time Gortok!

Looks like a pretty well thought out system - will have to put it to the test to find out though. Dynamic content/rewards generation is one of the things that I consider really important in games, so looking forward to these reveals! :)
  19. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

It seems to me that at the beginning you would be pulling chips like crazy to get a nice inventory to choose from for future items.
    Can chips be sold in an auction house or traded?
    Can I barter with a chip for an item?
  20. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

Gotcha. Thank you so much for all the great answers. I hope this doesn't offend, but you've changed my perception of Econ Design from something sort of stuffy and composed mostly of line charts, into something that's sounds exciting, and rewarding to work on.