1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Class Abilities and Customization

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Rhynox, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Rhynox

Rhynox New Cupcake

Hi all, my name's Rhynox, and I've just recently become enamored with wildstar. Like most people on these forums, I'm hungering for knowledge on the game, and hunting for any amount of information I can gather. One thing I haven't really been able to find anywhere is much to do with class skills. I've watched all the videos (that I can find XD) and have gotten a pretty good idea from them, but I'd love to learn more, or at least speculate if there isn't enough to go on yet.

It seems to me that the idea for wildstar is for you to have a fairly large arsenal of abilities to choose from, but the game limits you to ~10 slots. Not sure if that number's definite yet or not. My personal hope, as well as many others I hope, is that there are a lot of very different abilites to choose from. For instance, since all warriors have a sword, are all first slot skills going to be a simple slash move? Are all espers 'auto attack' going to be the attack in a line with bluey weapons? If so, are there going to be a lot of other fast cooldowns, so combat doesn't put the user to sleep?

Constant movement makes the game engaging and difficult. But class flavour and customization is equally important if you ask me. I am a huge fan of gw2 right now, but after countless hours on my elementalist, it's a pretty limited rotation for such an action oriented game. Hopefully Wildstar's ability choosing style will prove better.

So I guess I'm looking both for information on skills from any playtime/videos people have watched, and opinions on how abilities should be chosen and implemented. Sound off!!
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

With regards to the only 10 abilities, that's a correct statement, well, nearly. You have one innate class ability, one path ability and 7 other abilities of your choosing. You then make your loadouts (or LAS, Limited Action Sets) however you wish to from the abilities you've purchased (look for "Buying Abilities" thread for this) which you can switch between out of combat. If you look up the thread about "How do you Feel about Limited Action Sets" you'll see all sorts of discussion about that. There is only one weapon per class. So far we have the Psyblade for Espers, Sword for Warrior, Claws for Stalker, and Pistols for Gunslingers.

here's the limited action sets thread

Here's the thread about Acquiring abilities
    Rhynox likes this.
  3. Rhynox

Rhynox New Cupcake

Gotcha. So innate class ability would be, say, the esper bluey weapon throw, while the path ability would be putting down a vista radar thingy for an explorer? And the other 7 are completely up to you. Well that's pretty cool, although I'm not sure how each class having to use a single spammable ability. If a person hated said weapon shooting ability, but loved the rest of the class, they'd be out of luck.

Anyway I'd made this thread in the hopes on gleaning information on skills themselves, rather than how they're acquired and the like. For instance, I've seen the esper has the weapon shooting move, and the shuriken that take a few seconds to charge, then fires. I've seen an awesome move where the user spins around an enemy, firing off multiple psyblades, seen an ability that summons a giant fist to crush foes. How many skills have people seen so far?
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

actually i believe the path ability would be more like the rocket jump pack for the explorer. the vista radar thingy is a click in your UI i think.
    Rhynox likes this.
  5. Rhynox

Rhynox New Cupcake

Interesting. Do you happen to know if there are multiple abilities per path as well?
  6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

7. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

Are the 7 abilities going to be common to all classes?
  8. Batzorig

Batzorig Cupcake-About-Town

No, the pool of abilities you can choose from are unique to each class. The 1 class ability is just a basic, required move of that class.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

There will be all different kind of spells.

For example:
    1. Someone likes to go full dmg, then they buy full damage spell.

2. Someone likes to do damage and have some CC, so he buys a few dmg spells and some CC spells.

3. Someone likes to have.......etc....etc....etc

Even if you see another Esper (and you being as esper aswell), it doesn't mean you got the same spells! You do have the possibility to get the same spells, but what's on your action bar is completely different.

This is the opposite of WoW where you could have like every single spell on your bars so fighting a Arms warrior would be the same as fighting an arms warrior the day before.
    In Wildstar fighting the same classes can still mean they have spell combos you haven't seen yet.

And ofcourse each class got different spells then other classes, so you won't see a warrior shoot some magic bullet like a spellslinger.

So it's always a surprise :D
  10. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

I was 99% sure this is what they meant but im glad this is the case, i was never a big fan of ever class can do everything in a game like TSW. The more customization/theory crafting i do while still feeling unique as a class the better.