1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Class suggestion

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Solbjorn, May 22, 2014.

1. Solbjorn

Solbjorn New Cupcake

So I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about this game.

I am a healer. I have always been a healer. I estimate that I will always be a healer. That being said I see that there are a few healing classes in this game. Now, I have always been drawn to really mobile healers that rely a lot on HoTs. Think resto druid from WoW, or warden from Rift, or Shaman from Warhammer Online... You get the idea.

My question is, based on what you guys know about the classes, what would jive the most with my identity/playstyle? Suggestions with reasons are awesome :inlove:
  2. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

There isn't a healer that focuses on HoTs.
    With that said, Esper will feel the most familiar to you. That isn't to say that it will be the one you enjoy the most, but it will be the closest to what you're familiar with.
    Spellslinger is very mobile and arguably has the highest skill cap.
    Medic is melee range and just slightly beyond, while being extremely mobile as well.

3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

What will you be doing? Raids? Arena/warplots?

For mobile, i'd say Medic

For the general healing style, i'd say Esper

I was a druid healer myself and personally I prefer the Medic in PvP and the Esper in PvE. The SS just doesn't hit it for me, and I think it will be the least likely contender for you to begin with. But nonetheless atleast try them all out once.

Just pick one of those two to begin with and see which class rocks your boat the most ;)
    Shyhalu likes this.
  4. Shyhalu

Shyhalu New Cupcake

I am struggling with this decision too :< I played a druid healer primarily in WoW as well.. and I've always loved HoTs.. but that doesn't really seem like an option in wild star. I was originally planning to play a Medic because of the mobility and fluidity of only telegraph'd heals.. however.. I have heard that Espers are the only low level characters that are able to heal dungeons starting at 15 or 20. So now I am sort of torn between the two.

Hope you find one you like :) Goin' to watch that healing video above now.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Those were probably just really, really bad players. It's doable, mayby a bit harder but doable nonetheless.

Then again last few weeks i've mostly played with peeps I know...that helps a lot aswell. But if someone keeps standing in telegraphs then nomatter what healing class you are they'll just keep dieing.

In WildStar it's more a ''team effort'' then some other games.
    PalsyPlague likes this.
  6. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I have played every healing class to level 20 and had success healing dungeons/adventures with all three. Personally, I find the Medic to be the easiest dungeon/adventure healer at low levels due in part to the powerful aoe hot Mending Probes.

Brief summary of class advantages:

Medic: Tons of aoe heals, with a couple smaller cool-down heals. The basic builder heal is weak but free to use.

Spellslinger: Very mobile, but everything is a skill-shot. This is the best 0-100% healer, from what I've seen they have the highest throughput.

Esper: Excellent tank-healers, and the least mobile of the three healers. Espers excel in focus (mana) efficiency, it is hard to make a good Esper oom (but you will go oom if your tank is standing in telegraphs all day long).
  7. Shyhalu

Shyhalu New Cupcake

Thank you for the replies guys :) I will be playing with people I know come launch, so maybe that will make things easier. I haven't done any dungeons personally, just read people complaining about healing being difficult for non-espers at low level.

It's a difficult decision for sure.. they all seem fun in their own way... and viable. I just want to pick one that is both fun and useful in as many situations as possible. I would like to be able to heal in arena, BGs, raids.. herpingandderping off cliffs etc. Anyways, I just realized I'm being pretty rude and kinda hijacking this person's thread (SORRY! D:). But thanks for the advice :)

Edit: Omg I abuse smiley faces a lot.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  8. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

An Esper healer can be quite mobile though based on the kind of abilities you take. I stayed on an Esper for much of beta and honestly, a healing esper is a lot more mobile than a DPS esper. You sort of have to be in order to catch people who run around. Check out this site for a list of abilities of all classes: http://ws-base.com/builds/generator/esper

Use Soothe as your basic heal. It's a long range, narrow telegraph that is completely mobile. It also builds psi points for you. Compared to Mind over Body, Soothe can hit more people and therefore heal for more numbers over them than Mind Over Body for half the focus cost.

Mending Banner is an instant cast, single target heal that can be very strong. At higher tiers it also grants damage resistance. I even used this as my personal heal when I was running around open world.

Reverie is a great AoE heal that's also completely mobile. I keep this on my LAS in adventures to spot heal myself and teammates.

Bolster is a two-charge, instant cast heal over time that also builds psi points.

Pyrokinetic Flame is kind of neat. It attaches to your target and burns them yes, but it also creates a Heal over Time effect around that target. Just right for healing those melee people a little more! It's also completely mobile and builds a psi point. I've used this frequently as a DPS role to increase the heal over time on a tank. If you put this on a tank's target and two bolsters on the tank they have (using conservative math) about a 500 point heal a tick at level 30ish.

Warden actually has a longish cast time and roots, so I'm hesitant to list it as mobile. However it adds a large upfront heal and another heal over time until it disappears. It's a targeted ability that creates a healing field around the target.

Phantasmal Armor provides an absorb shield that's also instant cast. It's great for when the tank takes a series hit. You can put this on them and gives yourself time to heal them up. I also tended to slap it on a DPS that made a mistake. It gives them time to heal themselves or be smart and run towards my telegraph instead of away from them.

Mental Boon is another heal over time, but I can't say much about it. It's a level 31 ability and I was trapped at the level 30 cap.

Early on it's not a terrible idea to take an assault builder. At least until you are able to get a focus recovery on your equipment. This will help you manage your focus (the healing resource). I took telekinetic strike (which is stationary) for this, but you could take illusionary blades (which is mobile).
  9. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

I've been hearing on some podcasts that each healing class can have a sort of synergy with a particular tank (since each tank functions differently). Slinger being good with a warrior due to narrow telegraphs and warrior being a bit less mobile but able to absorb more. Medics and stalkers work well since both are very mobile. If you plan on end game raiding with a guild, maybe consider that when making your choice.

I don't raid, nor do I heal so it's only what I have heard.
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  10. Dollgirl

Dollgirl New Cupcake

I've always played healers, specifically restoration Druid in WoW. I actually became very accomplished in pvp with that class, and in other games I've stuck to healers that felt similarly fast and mobile. That being said, I hated every healer in this game. The one that felt like it might be alright was medic. I ended up doing something very odd for me and played a warrior throughout the betas. It's fast paced, mobile, mostly instant cast abilities. It's also still challenging and technical. This is not the one button macro warrior from wow.

I have no idea if this will help you at all, but Its my 2 cents on the topic. Lol