1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Clearing up Misconceptions on Open World PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Bardic, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

snip

Don't know why, but as I read your description I got images of Tiny Tina and Scooter from Borderlands. :D

Feels appropriate I like
  2. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I have never had the privilage of playing Borderlands but it looked like a fun shooter :) I heard they have lots of guns :)

I'm glad you like, I think it would help Wooooosssaahhhh some stress when getting killed :p
  3. Afrotech

If you like dark, quirky, twisted, outrageous humor and a BAZILLION GUNS with stats packaged into a fps I can almost guarantee you will love Borderland 2.

..it might even hold you over till WildStar launch ;)

Also you are right about humor taking the stress off if Carbine has a rez system like what you describe with Borderlands type humor I will likely go out of my way to die just to hear the random commentary. :laugh:
    Flawz likes this.
  4. Daktarelis

Daktarelis New Cupcake

I am sorry, but I am arguing to give players choice when to engage in pvp, not remove it by forcing them to stick with a decision made upon creating your character. You see, the thing about non-consensual pvp that sets it apart from other activities in the game is that it allows people to force their playstyle upon others. With questing, raiding, instanced pvp, gathering, crafting etc... you always have the choice not to do a particular activity if you don't want to. In a game with 'world pvp', you are forced to pvp, because Jimmy the ganker decided he would like to kill you while you were finishing this exciting quest chain. In my opinion, a game in which one player can literally deny another player the ability to play the game is broken by design. Blizzard made this mistake back in the day, and it is beyond my understanding why other MMOs continue to make the same mistake to this day.
    That is not to say I don't like PVP itself. Hell, I play Starcraft 2 from time to time. It's like the ultimate pvp game - if you lose 1v1 it's your fault, no hiding behind 'yeah, but my team sucked', or 'but he had better gear'. I also enjoyed Planetside 2 and still think it's a decent PVP game.
  5. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

Nexus is a whole planet and we don't know exactly how their area design is. What we get to see right now could only be a small percentage of the planet. So who is to say what is possible or not. My guess is you have never played a WPVP style game with GVG and the likes. So yes guild towns could happen.

If you don't think non-consensual PVP is a desirable type of gameplay then roll a PVE server. World PvP is about danger and the possibility of being attacked at any moments notice. Apparently Carbine doesn't agree with you because the current design for PVP servers are non-consensual. I wish people would pick the right servers. I have said it so many times in the past it is just getting tiring now. If you don't like WPVP roll PVE, literally the only difference between the two server types IS the WPVP.

That goes both ways. You cater to the idiots that made the wrong decision and piss of the people who chose the right server and end up making them leave. I think I would rather cater to the people who don't whine because they chose the wrong server. Usually those are the type of people that are gonna whine about every other thing that goes wrong for them. Poison to an MMO.

TSW didn't do very well and had to go F2P/B2P pretty quick. GW2 has no PvP at all outside of RVR and instanced and they have seen a large drop in players because they don't have endgame. TESO isn't even out yet and the entire endgame region is non-consensual PVP.
    Lets look at successful MMO's now. EVE. WoW. RIFT. Lineage I and II. Everquest. All with non-consensual PvP.
  6. Afrotech

All the points you make against pvp rule sets can easily be avoided by selecting a pve server.

Again you are trying to force your philosophy on everyone.

It's no mistake, developers continue to include opvp, because they have seen statistics or metrics and concluded that there is a large enough pvp community to warrant giving gamers a choice.
  7. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

You don't have to give that choice, that choice is given upon server selection.
    Those who dislike PvP shouldn't roll on one of those and deal with the positives and negatives of a PvE server.

If world PvP is a hindrance to your daily activities you are not the type that belongs on a PvP server and therefor should not have to be worried about the activities that may or may not take place there.
    The notion of you finding it forced PvP confirms this.

World PvP has been part of MMO's for as long i've been playing what should be over 10 years now, either you can deal with it and enjoy it or you don't it's that simple , there's a large enough audience block to support this rule set. In every MMO you always have one active PvE and one active PvP server even in lower pop games.
    Afrotech likes this.
  8. Daktarelis

Daktarelis New Cupcake

I am in no position to force my philosophy upon anyone. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter.
    The point I am trying to make is that pvp rulesets are redundant and only one ruleset with consensual world pvp is sufficient. Those who want to participate can toggle pvp flag on, and just carry on backstabbing one another all day :) Those who don't want to participate are not forced to. Those who want to participate only sometimes, can toggle pvp flag at their leisure. Everyone is happy. Except for the guys who are in it for the griefing part, but then who cares about them, right?

I wonder if that is the case. I mean, Blizzard basically removed world pvp by introducing flying mounts and later even more so with dungeon finder and flying in Azeroth. World pvp at level cap was pretty much extinct since TBC, with a few notable exceptions, like the sunwell patch and it's wonderful island of ganking :) Pvpers have been complaining that world pvp is dead since then. So yeah, the biggest game out there only has world pvp in theory. I guess the statistics did not warrant listening to their pvp community. And those guys were definitely vocal on the forums.
  9. Afrotech

Wrong.
    No, everyone won't be happy, starting with me.

You are making a stereotypical assumption.

I've been playing MMO's for eleven years with pvp rule sets in effect and I have never grieved anyone, although I have been known to kill and camp bullies grieving lowbies if that counts.

I don't fit into your narrow view of what you think people who support pvp rule sets are and there are many more like me.

Blizzard didn't remove anything flying mounts and the rewards of instanced pvp had an unforeseen side effect on opvp, but people are still free to engage in opvp as always.

Opvp obviously was not dead enough to remove the option.
  10. Macheya

Macheya New Cupcake

Thanks for the rules about PvP. I was wondering about twinks, that is players who like staying at the top of the level bracket in battlegrounds, who acquire the best gear for their level. I realize a lot of WoW's playerbase hated them, but I found it fun. It wasn't even the fact that low-level players or lesser-geared ones died easily, it was the challenge of meeting other twinks. I realize that kind of turns the games into a 'clash of the titans' situation as opposed to a team effort, but half the time the 'team' didn't help out anyway.

Since you level with PvP I know it's not going to happen, but I was just curious anyway. It was just one of those things that you didn't expect to happen being a lot of fun to do.
  11. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Denying a player to do his quest because he is your enemy is not broken its called PvP! Don't get on a PvP server if Jimmy scares the <REDACTED> out of you and stops your questing.. You think if this was a comic/movie/cartoon that Jimmy would just pass up his enemy while his enemy is killing things he needs for his bounty? Hell no.

And players on a PvE server have the choice to PvP or not, so Go there and get all you want out of an MMO that suits your playstyle, which is obviously PvE server with the choice of Flagging for PvP or que up for a BG or WarPlot. :) Thus giving your choice when you make your characters to engage or not engage at anytime anywhere duing your adventures.. so if you want to PvP on your PvE server, then flag up or que up, if not then don't flag or que and you can quest while Jimmy passes you by with a tear down his cheek because the magical barrier wont let him hurt you.
  12. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Anyone who rolls on a PvP server is consenting. Maybe they should have a disclaimer for the noobs...
  13. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I actually started really playing BL2 recently. Had it pre ordered but never really played it since I was caught up in MMOs. Great game and I highly recommend it.
  14. SoulstoDeny

SoulstoDeny New Cupcake

Because it's not a mistake, nor is it broken. Ganking is playing the game, regardless of any level difference. The person on the receiving end of the gank was not denied his ability to play the game. He was inconvenienced as a result of trying to level by himself or not paying attention.

Every single issue you brought up is solved by rolling on a PVE server. It can be repeated time and time again, yet people can't seem to grasp the idea that ganking is PVP and if you don't like ganking - roll PVE.
    Vembumees likes this.
  15. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

You consent to PvP when you choose to roll on a PvP server.
  16. Daktarelis

Daktarelis New Cupcake

Still didn't get a logical response what exactly does a pvp server offer that is not available on pve servers. I do know the topic is sensitive and pvpers get all emotional about it, but seriously, besides telling me to roll on a pve server, which I will probably do anyways, you guys did not provide a single reason why being locked into pvp mode is better that being able to toggle the pvp mode on and off any time. Hell, the devs could add an option to keep pvp mode "always on" for players that want it.
    I sense that this pvp and pve server separation is all emotion based, without any logic attached to it.
  17. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

In my opinion it's purely for the adrenalin of a skirmish breaking out anywhere and everywhere in the open world. Even if it's unfair (3 against 1 or something) it makes the world feel alive.

I'm not in support of open world PvP objectives, but I am definitely in favor of open world PvP :)
  18. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Because when given the option most people are going to keep pvp mode off, which results in there being many many people with pvp mode off so people who want to do OWPvP aren't able to most of the time, so they don't see a point in leaving themselves flagged (since they don't have to if they don't feel like it) and then that results in 0 fights breaking out.

A "solution" would be to have PVP flag locked for a large period of time, which means that you would have people trying not to get flagged, but once they are they would seek out enemies more (assuming that flags don't reset the timer when you re-flag).

Personally I would like to see the option for max levels to be forced to PVP flag and everyone else not forced - this eliminates most of the low level ganking which is normally not balanced and can annoy some people, even those that seek out WPvP, but still allow a healthy world pvp environment at max level.

In my opinion I don't think most WPvPers would mind this solution - it really helps more people be fighting reasonably balanced enemies, rather than trying to find lowbies to kill.

I know I don't like being killed and camped while leveling and would prefer to be able to go out and (try to) kill some people in the world at cap, so it's really the best of both worlds.
  19. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

No, it's not. Repercussions... Think of them whenever an opinion strikes. YOU just invited me to a group, I came to mess around with you while you are doing lower level quest... An enemy approaches... "Sorry, bro. Can't help you, lol." *Know that I WOULD help you in this case... If I could!*

If PvP mode was an option that most people would opt out of then... Are you telling us that no game should ever consider to exist? I can even admit PvP is an "afterthought" in ways but tell me what is the point of having different factions if all battles are decided upon? QUOTE THIS and try. More character options? Ok, make it same faction. Why should there be two factions if you can simply agree to do a battleground against people on the same team. I'm even okay with Arenas going up against both factions for competition but your closer to removing all faction.
  20. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

The higher level can help the lower level if an enemy approaches as the enemy is flagged if they attack.

What I said was that if the server is a PvE server then people aren't going to stay flagged for PvP 100% of the time, which is why there has to be PvP servers.

I should also clarify that when I say "the best of both worlds" it is in my opinion - some people like killing low levels or being killed by max cap players, personally I don't.