1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Clearing up Misconceptions on Open World PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Bardic, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Are you trying to Troll ? They already made a toggle for permanent pvp, its called a PvP server lol.
    The advantage of any type of server is within the choice of the player. Has nothing to do with how each system works for itself, its player prefference..

For PvPers we see no logic in having to pass up your enemy with some magical code that makes them not be able to attack. The advantage that PvPers get from a PvP server over a PvE server is that they can attack at anytime, anywhere with nothing stopping them. In a sense its more realistic and hardcore. Would suck if we were at war with another country but in sertain area's we cant attack each other due to they step across a line and suddenly cant attack each other. That is the advantage for the PvPers on PvP servers VS PvE servers.

Now how many times in how many ways must this be explained? dunno, but please try to come up with ideas for pvp instead of harassing the PvPers with nonsense. And please read over Original post by Bardic which explains the system.
    Sonntam and Afrotech like this.
  2. Flumbooze

Flumbooze New Cupcake

They solved the ganking as new members will not toggle PvP on in their own starting regions, they get a choice. People from the other faction will ofcourse automatically get flagged, so people get a choice wether they attack this guy or not.
  3. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

That's starting regions - it's normally the first 10-20 levels, for the rest of the leveling process you can be easily killed by max level players. Look at WoW, past level ~25 you're always in contested areas. You can't even hope to beat anyone unless you're within 5 levels of them.
  4. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

Throughout this whole debate I still didn't get a logical response as to why you and people of similar thinking are so concerned about the rule set on pvp servers when there is a server for you that caters to your style of play?

Why are you so concerned with what pvp'ers are doing on pvp servers?

Why is it that you think everyone should play according to your rules?

Not a single logical reason why people with this philosophy continue to roll on pvp servers knowing that they don't agree with the rule set and please don't use the incompetence or peer pressure excuse.

Do people who share your thinking roll on pvp servers purposely in hopes that they may be able to undermine the rule set from within?

Is seems like some sort of irrational anger or jealousy that there are people who don't see things your way that compels this persistent and pointless debate.

snip snip

QFT
  5. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> I recommend ceasing the line of discussion about what's "logical" because it isn't bring anything good to the table. So like, back off a bit on it, alright? </Mod Monocle>
    Sonntam likes this.
  6. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

I just don't understand why people that like instanced PVP or "fair" PVP roll on PVP servers. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Literally the only difference between a PVE server and a PVP server is the WPVP. Instanced PVP doesn't all of a sudden become this amazing epic thing because you're on the PVP server, no its exactly the same.

That is why I think we should relabel the servers;

PVE = DEFAULT
    PVP = WORLD PVP

With an introduction that explains the ruleset of World PVP servers that can't just be skipped, at least can't be skipped on the first character made on those servers.
    wormed and Outlaw like this.
  7. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I just cant wait for WildStar to come out, Better to test it out and then give an opinion on what could be added PvP wise and where.

Right now is speculation and instead of arguing we can just impute what we would love to see in WildStar, So after this post here, Why not remember your favorite PvP experiences from past games and share what was fun about them.

This may spark ideas and help on future plans for WildStar instead of molding the thread into something its not meant to be.

Remember to post fun experiences and try not to have negative feedback. There is always going to be someone who can counter opinion so just post what you loved and had fun with and we can go from there :)

I had fun in SWG where you can land on a planet and get attacked from opposite faction. Fighting threw the cities in front of everyone else was sooo fun and realistic, running threw buildings and pubs shooting and slashing without worry of guards attacking everyone ( you were the guards ) basically.

many times people would start up a brawl and end up having a HUGE battle..

Because opposite factions could communicate we would even make friends on the other side and have friendly battles anywhere we wanted gaining respect from our skill and friendly attitudes.

What fun PvP experiences have ya'll encounterd in other games that you think could work with WildStar.
    Remember that WildStar has Socket and Plug technology and can mold their Landscapes at will changing and evolving the very planet.

Cant wait to hear about ya'lls fun times :) Bring it on !
    Afrotech likes this.
  8. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

This is also identical to the way WoW does it.
  9. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Pseudo non-consensual open world PvP.

I say pseudo because the only non-consensual open world PvP in W* is in the contested zones, and going into those zones is a voluntary act. You could level up through the non-contested zones on a PvP server, but why the <REDACTED> would you. In W* you go into a contested zone you are automatically flagged for PvP… if you’re on a PvP server. If you are on a PvE server you have to flag yourself. On both types of servers you are automatically flagged for PvP if you go into the other faction’s zones, and you don’t get to initiate a fight.
  10. WildStone

WildStone Cupcake

OWPVP Incentives? A pile of exile corpses will be incentive enough :sneaky:

As Hardcore Dominion :ninja::ninja::ninja: it is our duty to make the life of the exiles on our server as miserable as possible! MUAHAHAHAAA!
    [​IMG]
    FOR THE DOMINION!!
    Sevvy and Mailroomclerk like this.
  11. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Well if we are talking about fun open world PvP I have a story for ya.

There was this game that had a system where at a random time something would spawn in an area Usually mats for top notch gear but it could be other stuff like clothes, accessories, ect) where you could WPvP. In order to get it you had to have someone trying to cap it while your faction/guildmates defended you since it took a long time to get.

If you were lucky enough to get it the fight wasn't over since you had to make it to a safe zone without being killed. If you were killed the item was dropped and anyone could pick it up. It was fun fighting for those. It promoted alliances between guilds of the same faction to work together on trust. It lead to a lot of the guilds camping out near the contested zones to make sure we were around for the spawn. Needless to say this lead to ALOT of WPvP.

How to translate this to Wildstar

The essence of this story is simple if you put the best resources in contested areas that only spawn at certain times (at random) your going to get WPvP fighting for that resource or making sure they are around when it does spawn when ever that may be. To add another element of the Wildstar feel that resource node by turn around and attack players. Once it dies it will drop its item (maybe multiple you don't know)

There were 3 problems that rise from this are
    1) Higher levels will camp out lower lv players and gank them.
    A system can be implaced that does not allow for lower lv players to constantly be killed. That system is to make it so that if a higher level keeps ganking a lower lv person repeatedly. The big one is that if you do that your name becomes red and you can not enter a city or safe zone with a red name or you would be attacked and killed by the guards in town. This effect lasts for a set amount of time

2) Only 1 person can get the resource. (mainly tanks)
    This was a tough since again you needed trust that the person would trade it to a guildmate if he already got one another time. If he did not then he was not protected by the guild and was killed by the other faction. However due to random spawning as well as the mob will not be TOO power anyone could attack and get the node if they were a certain lv.

3) PvEers and crafters don't want to PvP
    Then they don't have to since the gear will be mainly PvP based stats or special cool looking effects that can be placed on gear or something to put in your house, ect not something that is needed for a PvE raider to have. Crafters on the other hand can make deals with the heavy PvPers in the server. For example lets say I am a crafter but I don't have the resources to make the top gear with special powers on my own. If I go to a PvPer and say "Hey I can make you the best gear/item if you sell/give me the mats" He does and I make the gear/item and then give him the gear/item. Thus making money and gaining reputation in the server.

Now the first thing you a thinking is "Well the crafters will just not keep their word and keep the gear/item for themselves to sell"
    -Contract system-
    This is where a system called the contract system can be implemented. You make a contract with a crafter and they have to do it. If not then they lose the mats they were given(or the gear they made and did not hand over) plus a huge fine. They are not allowed to send the gear to anyone but the person they have a contract with unless it is stated in the contract to allow for transfer to a guildmate or another faction member. If the person they are making it for is not on they can mail it to them. 48 hours should be the deadline for them to make and mail it to the person they have a contract with or the person specified.

-What about the crafters they will not get good gear?-
    Now how do crafters get the top notch gear with special abilities if they can only trade it back to the person via contract. Simple through the money they get. As a crafter they will get big money from auction house, and contracts. This will leave crafters with a lot of money to buy and upgrade the gear they have to look cooler. (remember 1 crafter should be able to make everything)

-What if one faction keeps winning that will make them more powerful and loped sided?-
    This can be rectified by having the random spawn of the rare resource node be close to the losing fraction giving them more time to get the resource before the other faction can get there.

Conclusion

With all this in place WPvP will be a big thing and add a certain unexpected element. This allows players the opportunity to help make their faction more powerful and make alliance and connections in the game. The biggest thing that adds to this is that you never know when these special nodes will spawn. So a lot of people will roam the world wondering when and if it will spawn.

Sorry this post got longer then I thought it would but tell me what you think.:D
  12. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

I wouldn't get the PvP crowd angry, we'll channel it elsewhere in the game. If I can't kill a lvl 10 over and over again until he has to quit playing and come back until I am bored, I will be rolling on every single thing in a PvE dungeon that I don't need or already have.

It may seem cynical but we do this kind of protest because of the current state of the game. Then they complain, and the loot system is changed. More players who are actually good at the game end up leaving and you're stuck with non exciting game that will surely decline.

Keep PvP unchanged.
  13. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

This does not compute for the newer generation of MMO players. They will only do something if a reward is attached to it.

Fun is gone. All that matters is gear.
  14. WildStone

WildStone Cupcake

We have to take into consideration that Wildstar will somewhat 'force' players of opposite factions into conflict while questing as we'll have to fight for the same 'questing resources' most of the time in contested zones after level 25. We shall also take into account that part of the core group that designed Vanilla WOW is the same that created Carbine.

So our first objective as Dominion when entering a contested area is to clear it from all exile players, seriously this is the game plan of our +25 man guild which will merge with other hardcore PVP guilds.
    Good times are coming my friend! :sneaky:

There's going to be a TON of world PVP on my server whether the exile players consent to it or not. PK's will also grant XP so there's a little incentive in that regard as well. Secondly, there will be OWPVP objectives with more incentives and rewards implemented after launch to keep the fun going.

So, does this mean that the exiles will run for the hills to avoid world PVP and try to level just by running low level dungeons? Not quite. As it stands, even the very first dungeon in the game is hard to do with a pug and we still have no idea if these will have timers to prevent players from leveling by just farming them. PVP servers should put lookdown timers on these dungeons imho and we're going to make sure the devs listen.

One last thing to take into consideration is that most senior producers on Wildstar range from semi to hardcore PVPrs and will cater to our demands (so far so good is the word from REDACTED...), don't take my word for it, ask Jeremy about it ;)
  15. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I hope you guys roll on the same server as Team Legacy. Seems we have the same plans and I think it'll be a blast. If the Dominion wanna fight, then BRING. IT. ON!
  16. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

I hope the sanctuaries are handled properly. Too many sanctuary will destroy the pvp. They should be extremely few and far between. Ideally there would be restricted instant travel/no flying mounts and only main cities and non-pvp zones as sanctuaries.

I don't want to be able to run towards a sanctuary somewhere close. I'd prefer to have to react to a pvp jump like this: "Well <REDACTED>, I'm out in the wilderness and far from my city. I have to win this fight." rather than "How annoying, let me just run to safe zone for a bit."
    Underz likes this.
  17. WildStone

WildStone Cupcake

That's the spirit soldier! Personally I'm not very fond of mindless ganking, perhaps as a means of luring the opposite faction's big guns into battle to make it an even playing field. If it's not challenging it's not fun in my book ;). We'll make it happen fo sure. :cool:
  18. Arkay

Arkay Cupcake

They should totally have an Idol for each Faction. Stealing the opposing Idol boosts your faction.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

BOOSTS YOUR FACTION'S SEXUAL PERFORMANCE, THEREBY REPRODUCING AT QUICKER RATES SO AS TO OVERWHELM THE ENEMY WITH SUPERIOR NUMBERS AND EXTERMINATE THEM!!!

This.

This is the perfect strategy. PERFECT!
  20. Asnsrbael

Asnsrbael New Cupcake

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4923334880331791&pid=1.7

Oh well, i feel that getting to max lvl on a pvp server is like flipping off all the gankers that ganked me while i was lvling. and the huge open world pvp battles are never bad... but i don't think i will ever get the same feeling i got in Mortal online during the massive guild v guild campaigns. maybe black desert will bring that back, but i really hope they don't do anything foolish for the pvp servers rule set.