1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Clearing up Misconceptions on Open World PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Bardic, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Here's my question for Bardic:

We all know what happened to open world PvP when Blizzard introduced battlegrounds. It simply died and I'm afraid we won't see any viable open world happening because of all the instanced PvP in Wildstar at this time.

Your reasoning to see how PvP players interact with the world of Nexus so you can focus on areas which may appeal to a Wildstar PvP player for objective play doesn't necessarily mean you can't include a (non-instanced) Tol Barad / Wintergrasp like open world area in Wildstar yourself.

They are very popular in WoW because they have enough incentives to participate in them. For example, availability to a raid boss, (daily) quests and rewards. And lets not forget plain fun.

As far as I understood the capabilities of the game engine it should be possible to make this non-instanced as well. "With a push of a button we can change the environment."

So can you please explain why your team choose not to include an area like Tol Barad in the game at launch?
    Azzurri likes this.
  2. wormed

wormed Cupcake

I interpret it as if you're a level 45 killing a level 35, it won't be as much as if you killed a level 45 or 50. In a group, exp is distributed across the group.

Don't think it's as complex as you're thinking.
  3. CRB_Bardic

CRB_Bardic Carbine Studios

Er no. Con level being level difference between you and the target.
  4. CRB_Bardic

I wouldn't rule anything out at this point. I feel that it all depends on how well something like that would be received for both audiences/rulesets.
  5. CRB_Bardic

I can't give any specifics on mount details at this time, but designs for them definitely factor in world pvp combat.
    DaikiraiKoi, Afrotech, Yakzan and 3 others like this.
  6. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

I'm eager to give world PvP a shot in Wildstar!

Smart move not focusing heavily on objectives just yet. Allow the players to determine their favorite place to bash other people's crud in, then patch in a few objectives there ! :D
    Wayoverpowered, Afrotech and Mudfin like this.
  7. Mianhe

Mianhe New Cupcake

Great thread, would love to see one of these for Arenas!
    Afrotech likes this.
  8. Echelon

Echelon Cupcake

Is there going to be a bounty system in WildStar?

By that I mean can we put a price on a opposing faction characters head?
    Críostóir likes this.
  9. Oroshi

Oroshi Cupcake

So I'm guessing, rather than just being level based, gear will come into it, so maybe killing a highly gear player will next more XP than a player with poor gear and a higher level, as their respective con levels will be different.
  10. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

probably not. i'm betting its just like killing mobs. you kill something 10 levels lower, you're not getting much xp, you kill something 5 levels higher you get lots more xp
    Mudfin likes this.
  11. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I have one concern about world PvP and this is the perfect chance to have it addressed :)
    I personally dislike PvP when it's not fair. So many times have I been ganked by a max level character just running around and slaying all the lowbies in that zone. That's why leveling in a PvP server is just a complete nightmare for me. I don't mind brawling with people around my level, in fact I enjoy it. So, here's my question:

How are you planning on dealing with that one max leveled player who is so bored that he decided to spend 4 hours corpse camping every lowbie in a certain area?

Even for a PvP server it just seems unfair and frustrating enough to go Alt+F4.
  12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Perfection! Exactly what I had hoped to hear, honestly. While realizing nothing that far in the future can be set in Granok, at least it isn't completely outside the realm of possibility! Thanks very much!
    Nearo likes this.
  13. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Thank you for the post Bardic :D
  14. Oroshi

Oroshi Cupcake

Maybe by doing what GW2 did and reducing people's level to the zone they are in would help this, still would give high levels the edge, while stopping low levels getting one shotted.
    Mudfin likes this.
  15. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I really hope they don't do this I feel it killed the sense of making progress and getting more powerful, I think there are far better ways to handle lowbie ganking, if even it is that much of a problem, many would say it's part and parcel of the PvP server leveling experience.
    DaikiraiKoi, Afrotech and Kataryna like this.
  16. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Well if you are very low, you won't be flagged because you'll be in your own faction's territory. However, if you are in a contested area and this is happening, that's just part of what the PvP ruleset is all about. You need to make allies, get big level friends to come help you, or even get strangers in the zone to come help. It's what playing on the PvP ruleset is FOR, honestly.

At the end of the day, it is my belief that if you really do not want to deal with that kind of thing ever, you just need to roll on a PvE ruleset server.
  17. Oroshi

Oroshi Cupcake

Yeah I hear you on that, thinking back to it sounds like a bad idea.
  18. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I did not like GW2's methods. It felt like they were taking away something I earned.
    Nearo, Rai, Luciamund and 3 others like this.
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I think the easiest way to handle this would be down scaling to the area you are in. That would satisfy me. I'd probably still get beat due to the down scaled player having access to better skills. But it would actually make me consider rolling on a PvP server.

Of course if we can loot players we kill I'm there in a heartbeat :D

EDIT: after posting I see a lot of distaste for down scaling. There is not a better way that I am aware of. I suppose most of y'all are fans of getting ganked.
  20. ahamling27

ahamling27 WSC Background Designer 2013

Thanks for clearing that all up! You guys really know how to communicate with your fans. :D