1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Clearing up Misconceptions on Open World PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Bardic, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

I believe the idea is to give players enough content to do so that they'll never be bored enough to go griefing lowbies. They'd rather do BGs or Arena.

There will still probably be people who go around doing just that though, and perhaps there is no real answer to address it under this kind of system.
  2. Oroshi

Oroshi Cupcake

Giving it more thought, this is a versus system (Dominion v Exiles), its not say like TERA, where other players who are technically on your side ganked you, its about dealing with PvPer's who are hostile to your cause. On that bases yeah call in friends, be in a guild, help other when you see them getting jumped on, maybe you'll still lose, and hopefully make a friend on the process.
    Roehon, Nyxis and Afrotech like this.
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Still leaning RP but Carbine is making server choice a bit tough on me, thanks for the post! :p
    Kataryna likes this.
  4. Airia

Airia New Cupcake

Thanks for dropping by to clear this up, I was hoping someone "official" would clear this up, as its been a very common misconception that Wildstar would have no world pvp since the Reddit AMA.
  5. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hoping they have zero plans to address this. I hope the players address this in whichever way they see fit.
  6. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

Please have RP-PVP servers... Please.
    Arawulf likes this.
  7. ShadowedSin

ShadowedSin New Cupcake

All I can say as that I MISS old fashioned WoW raiding of other cities and killing top NPCS. THANK YOU FOR bringing this back!
  8. Pariax

Pariax Cupcake

So based on the information provided in this topic there are plenty of "safe-zones" for new players.
    I am more worrying about the opposite, that even the pvp ruleset prohibits PvP way too often. I understand the idea of sanctuaries and agree completly, starting areas shouldnt be the place to perform open world pvp or better: annoying corpsecamping exploitstyle that is not fun for anyone.
    But to be honest: not being flagged in your city no matter what level you are is kinda boring. The best moments of open world PvP in other MMOs were capital raids. And if the whole enemy force can simply stay unflagged until enough people united to fight back takes all the fun out of it and rips the opportunity to raid an unsuspecting major city. People play pvp server to not be completly safe. Its about the danger of the enemy faction always keeping you ready to fight. Players that are not ready to take the risk of getting stomped shouldnt play PvP ruleset then.
    Whats the point of pvp ruleset if your enemy can decide if he wants to take the fight on homeground? So reducing exploitlike noobstomping ok but making pvp a choice even on pvp servers? You made the choice when you picked the servertype! dont support cowardness and dont restrain awesome pvp opportunities pls!
    Kezzo likes this.
  9. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

If you gain experience from open world PvP, I would hope there is a diminishing return on killing the same player. Otherwise, sounds like it would promote things like kill swapping.
  10. Echelon

Echelon Cupcake

You do realize implementing being flagged all the time for a PvP server is very simple task for a developer right?
    If the people want it like that all then the Devs will do it. It doesn't hinder anything they are trying to do.
  11. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Thanks Bardic!

Personally, I don't think there need to really be open world PvP "objectives", as they tend to wind up being a little contrived and in the end, no way to guarantee fighting anyway. Most of the time, it seems like the open world objectives would be better inside of an instanced battleground where the same number of like-minded players of opposite factions can be guaranteed to be in the same places at the same time.

To me, the value and fun in open world comes from the spontaneity of it all. The unexpected encounter, if you will. So if the zones are designed so that factions cross paths naturally, that's the only "setup" needed, in my mind! And since we get XP from killing other players as well, that's just icing on the cake.

Now, I did like the idea of Outlaw's Den in SW:TOR... basically an open world PvP area with rare vendors (that could be killed and not respawn) an area that was rich in resources, etc. And It was FFA (so, you could fight your own faction.)

Wouldn't mind seeing pockets of open-world micro-zones like this :)
    moneda and Mudfin like this.
  12. qbane

qbane New Cupcake

I always liked the way Ultima Online had bounty's on delivery of player killer heads. There was no real 'griefing' in UO since it was a PvP based game (pre-Trammel) and I still feel the PvP ideas in that game were excelled by none. Hopefully, with the Origin roots of some of the Carabine dev team members we will see some of those ideas return to the PvP scene in the MMO genre ;-)

Ofcourse Bounty Boards alone wont help the player getting griefed. Some sort of NPC protection after being corpse camped +-4 times would be an idea. Robots zapping the griefer to warn him after 3 kills, killing him after 4 kills or something silly like that would fit right in the sci-fi fun-feel of Wildstar ;-)

Having played on a PvP server in WoW for a long time I definately share the worry that comes with open-world PvP servers. Questing in neutral zones was a nightmare for my Mrs. and I doubt she would ever re-roll on a PvP server again. With battlegrounds, arena's, war plots and other possibilities for 'fair PvP' like guild wars, house (plug-in plot) raiding, fight clubs etc etc I dont think an open world PvP server seems that appealing anymore at all. In a game like Ultima Online open PvP worked: you could only see eachother when you were 'close' to eachother, could easily run away if you had the same reaction time as the aggressor and there was no corpse camping since the victim's loot (in most cases) was the incentive of the kill. Why grief if there's more and better loot on the next guy that hadn't been killed or had recently restocked?

You could also handle griefing by giving players an incentive NOT to grief. Something like a bonus when killing X amount of different players in a row and a penalty to your PvP rating/score/currency for repetetive griefing. Then again I could see a whole group of griefers standing in line at a players corpse... Arf I dont see the appeal of open world PvP unless you ARE a griefer...
  13. Pariax

Pariax Cupcake

ofcourse I do, and i hope they will in beta. Please dont understand my post as an accuse towards anyone, its just my way of expressing my opinion and explaining it so it is understandable.
  14. Echelon

Echelon Cupcake

I know copying WoW's style isn't good as we don't want this game to a a complete copy of it. But when it came to Open World PvP, WoW pretty much perfected the formula...Lets not try to fix what is not broken.

No problem, its all good. =D
    Pariax likes this.
  15. Pariax

Pariax Cupcake

how about an opinion on my point instead of my method of presentation then? ;P
  16. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

What would be nice is to receive reputation with your faction for PvP kills in a contested area, or area that belongs to your faction, and maybe a separate reputation, like a PvP Battleground Reputation, for killing enemies in their territory or their faction capitals.
    In other words, different reputation (zone-based), for attack and defense.
    Acidblood likes this.
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

It's pretty much the rule set I expected, doesn't mean I'm still a bit disappointed about no real OW PvP objectives. I'll be more than occupied with the other PvP at the start, so it isn't too bad.
    Wayoverpowered and Blankspace like this.
  18. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Do you think this still works? It sounds great. But I don't see it working in games that aren't open PvP or have bounties or full loot. When the only consequence is dying that is not always an incentive to stop the lowbie ganking.

But, I haven't played on a PvP server in a long time as I don't see the point, since most don't have real consequences, so maybe what you and others are suggesting works.
  19. Mephisto

Mephisto New Cupcake

Hello all!!

Two things I also would LOVE to see (which were mentioned already) implemented if possible are:

1. Player bounty system. Something similar to what SWG had :)
    2. Raiding opposing faction cities, towns or whatever.

Thanks for your attention!!
  20. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for clearing things up Bardic! I don't think there is a need to give incentives such as world-based objectives. I think balancing xp gain is plenty incentive already and I know that even if that wasn't the case I'd be out there picking fights.

I'm wondering though, will zones be divided/sharded/phased? This also goes into a question of immersion and community as I think having these options detracts from a living world as well as hurting wpvp.