1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Clearing up Misconceptions on Open World PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Bardic, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

OW PvP objectives should be too much of a let down if (as an avid pvp'r) the other PvP content is satisfying enough right?

Thanks for the post Jen. It is really nice of you to take the time to give the community some more information on PvP. Y'all rock in my book!
  2. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

I would agree with some of the above posts, a bounty system could be pretty cool. Especially if the bounty is backed by the bounty placers own gold or curency rather. The one hang up I can see with this is how would the system know that the bounty was completed? Such as I place bounty on Mephisto, sorry bud but you're names the only up now :p :p, and 4 people start hunting him. Player 1 kills Mephisto first, how would hunters 2,3 and 4, know that the bounty is done? Also, how would I know that the bounty I have placed on Mephisto is completed? I suppose it could just be like a quest log/bounty log that is "active" until Mephisto dies...Another question, what if the hunters 2 and 4 were in a group together and tried to 2-man Mephisto? Would the bounty be shared or go to whomever got the KB?

As for objective WPVP, that could be very interesting, especially if it is in an area like the Halon Ring and gravity/physics came into the picture. My only gripe with something like that would be that those areas would need to be in max level zones or that players should scale down levels to match the appropriate zone level, to help prevent lowbie ganking.

Anyways, super excited for for everything thanks for the updates Bardic!!!!

Sorry for the bounty Mephisto.

-Plic-
  3. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

So, since these rules are old as hell, this is the same rules that were in place for Anarchy Online, or Everquest. Good enough for me.

edit: Do not restrict open world PVP beyond faction/safe zone. The sense of danger needs to persist in every zone to make it a great realm.
  4. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, yes, yes. They had this idea and totally squandered its potential. A zone like this provides more than enough incentive for someone like me.

I want the players to be the response to the scenario described for two reasons:
    1. It provides an element of gameplay [revenge scenarios, bounty scenarios, and others] that would be lost if the GMs dealt with it.
    2. Sometimes the community deigns that intervention would be the opposite of what is necessary and I'd want what the community prefers to be the deciding factor.
    Mudfin likes this.
  5. wormed

wormed Cupcake

Still would like to know if open world PvP results in the same currency distributed through BGs/Arenas/Warplots. Promote PvP, don't stifle it by not rewarding killing the enemy faction with the same things you're rewarding instanced PvP. Let it flourish by letting people choose which avenue they want to gain points with.
  6. CRB_Bardic

CRB_Bardic Carbine Studios

Nifty idea!

[I am heading home for the evening and will be out of the office tomorrow. However, your wonderful WildStar Community team will be keeping an eye on this thread for me. Thanks a ton everyone!]
  7. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I like the rule sets and look forward to the in-game pvp between raiding days :geek:
    Afrotech likes this.
  8. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

We highly appreciate the interactivity. /salute
  9. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks bro, it's nice to see Carbine is taking a lot of interest in what their fans think, know, and want to see.
  10. Mephisto

Mephisto New Cupcake

Omfg, Devs that actually talk to us players and are even nice LOL!! **Salute Badric** Yes I am being sarcastic... :)
  11. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

/hug
  12. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

Good common sense pvp rulesets with open world xp gains in addition to Warplots and Arena!

This just keeps getting better.

Who are these guys?! :cautious:
  13. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

I like the rulesets, I'll probably go with a PvP since I enjoy the persistent danger that is always there.

As far as Open PvP objectives are concerned, to deemphasize wintrading to exploit rewards, would it be better to place focus on individual and team efforts? Such as capturing the gold mine, which provides the currency needed to build siege vehicles at an engineering plant or something (to take it further, buys tempering from a blacksmith which results in a team-based buff). And the individuals that protect it (and equally assault it for recapture) gain more incentives than simply win-trading.
  14. Dredval

Dredval New Cupcake

Here is one fast question about the PVE ruleset:

Can you force a non-flagged player to flag himself? By entering into her telegraphs, standing between her and her npc targets, etc. You know, all the disgusting tricks the people use to force to pvp people who dont want to pvp themselves.

Or can you only flag yourself choosing the option and not with accidental attacks? I hate the stupid bullying in pve servers to force you to flag in another games (swtor, wow, etc)
    Aheadache likes this.
  15. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

First of all, I have a tremendous amount of respect and gratitude for Bardic and the entire Carbine development team for the ongoing communication with the fast-growing fan base to provide clarification on issues such as this one, and to accept feedback/entertain ideas that may help Wildstar become greater for doing so. From Dev Speak to the Wildstar-Central forums, It means a lot.

My thoughts:
    Open world PvP and the sense of threat that keeps you on your toes while progressing through the game's content is why I've always preferred PvP servers.

I haven't seen anything quite like it since DAOC, but I really enjoyed a system where rewards for PvP were separate from rewards in PvE, and provided opportunity for character customization. Now, I'm not speaking of "Purge" or points to acquire abilities that improve a character's PvP performance, but a reward system based on the points acquired from PvP which adds perks to those who excel. A simple experience gain, while rewarding, doesn't feel particularly "valuable" when it's equivalent to avoiding conflict & killing more mobs or finishing an extra quest.

Now the abilities offered through realm points in DAOC were great, and in searching for some kind of flaw, they arguably created a divide in the PvP population where players with immense PvP experience had advantages over those just joining the war. When these PvP rewards take on the form of gear such as WOW, the divide is greater.

How could this be done? Open world PvP, or PvP in general, could reward points towards eligiblity/purchase of unique cosmetic badges/cloaks/form of visual prestige on top of experience. In other words, as much as I'd like to have Purge back, a system which rewards players for PvP, or open world PvP, that offer visual/cosmetic effects would help to distinguish those who excel in PvP while avoiding imbalance through abilities or gear. I believe that this would go a long way towards encouraging more open world PvP across all zones, and enhancing the Dominion vs Exile conflict.

Other simple things that came to mind as rewards: Eligibility and/or purchase of housing decorations, specific dyes, or wardrobe customization with "points" acquired through PvP.
    M3sar and Afrotech like this.
  16. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

If you want cheaply built non-intrusive world pvp design that will quench the bloodthirst of most world PvP fanatics all you need to do is add a bit of clever design to a few of the contested zones. If WoW"s Tauren Mill taught anyone anything it's that people don't require a reason to engage in World PvP, they just need opportunity. Place a couple of Dominion and Exile settlements that will be guaranteed to have pretty high traffic through them near enough to each other that it would be inevitable that conflict would arise. Better yet, place something of value between them, something worthwhile that both factions would want to have easy access to. How about a high density of ore / rare plants / other crafting goodies?

You don't need to make new systems in order to support world PvP, just allow players to have plenty of opportunity.

Also don't be afraid to make another Hellfire Peninsula.
    Afrotech likes this.
  17. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

One of the biggest turn off for me and TESO is the fact that you can't even see the other faction outside of the main World PvP zone. That's pretty silly imo :/
  18. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I believe this is exactly what she was hinting at when she said, "You’ll have plenty of opportunity to run into your enemy in a shared zone and slay the day away ;)." I think in some of the couple month old Dev-led Deradune playthroughs someone said something about having the factions in close proximity to each other while questing to promote this idea that you're not just fighting for control of the planet, you're fighting for control of this specific area and it's eldan tech, resources, etc. Not saying they'll all be Hillsbrad all over again, but the opportunity is probably there.

This is exactly the type of wPvP she said not to expect at launch :)
  19. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I should have specified "don't be afraid to make another Hellfire Peninsula in the sense that it was a funnel zone that squashed the two factions together and promoted all kinds of conflict." Not so much that I think it would be a good idea to have a shared starter zone with heavy world pvp elements... that would be awful lol.
  20. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

No, it's not really possible with bgs because:
    1. You can't plan on what teams will face eachother in bgs (also considering players from different servers will be in it) and thus can't organize a wintrade. When it comes to wpvp "Hey, dudes, I just spoke with Lolumad from Exiles and tomorrow we windtrade all day".
    2. Bgs last too little and the reward is marginal, therefore there is no incentive to wintrade each bg. Ofcourse until we talk rated bgs where I must confess I still don't know how the hell they wintrade rated bgs in WoW considering you can't choose what opposing team to fight.

WPVP with objectives is based on...objectives. Therefore it doesn't matter how many times you killed some guy, as the reward comes from capturing strategic points or other stuff.

An example would be for 2 raids to meet. A couple of guys capture all the strategic points, unopposed, and move out. Then a couple of guys from the other team takes them back, unopposed. Rinse and repeat. The pvp currency rolling in for each player in the raid everytime their raid captures a point.