1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Clearing up Misconceptions on Open World PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Bardic, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Have you thought about making few servers with unique, different rulesets, just like RP servers? I lately had a thought about a world PvP server that could even have just the same ruleset as a pvp server, but just the server name, just as RP servers, would attract more like-minded players to one server instead of spreading around.

Also in addition, I hope the experience gain from world PvP will be at least decent amount and also give a bit of pvp currency, having to kill 1000 players in wpvp for a level (while you can kill 100 mobs for one) like I've seen in few other games is very discouraging :)

Edit: Oh and a big thank you for actually replying to us and showing that at least partly our discussions and worries even get to the carbine team, gives some assurance and faith to the community.
  2. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry, but hell no. I hated that in GW2, it removed any feeling of advancement. I'm all for being able to manually lower your level to play with friends and not annihilate everything, but having the game automatically do it is a poor poor option.

Rift actually had an option where you could turn auto-flagging off, and it was really needed, as yeah, in the chaos of battle (and especially with some many abilities in WS being AoE) it's way to easy to auto-flag. The more options the better.
  3. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Welcome to the community and good question. Was wondering if you could be forced into pvp by people standing in your telegraphs or standing in your AOE, I hated that when it was allowed in WoW.
  4. Lgr

Lgr Cupcake

I have some basic concerns about open WPVP in Wildstar

1.- In the zones shared by both factions, there is going to be some kind of place where you can't fight, despite your PVP is active? (i.e. A town)

2.-Will you have a higher reward by killing someone in OWPVP than in BG?

3.-There will be some significant rewards for PVP, like mounts, housing items or aesthetic gear? (I know that this is an overall PVP question, but i felt like i had to leak it)

Edit: CRBN pls gibe me a beta please huehuehuehuehue
  5. Yianna

Yianna New Cupcake

Will there be titles/trophies etc. that reward you as PvP player?
  6. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

They have quite a few titles listed already in the soldier and explorer path system, so I'd imagine they'd probably make up some stuff for PvP as well.

As for trophies, I bet there will be house decorating things you can get from PvP achievements like you do when getting raid achieves. Remember they want their elder game to have many aspects to it (PvP, raiding, solo, adventure, etc.), so they'll have to make all of it compelling and rewarding. It would only follow that if they're giving status symbols for one, they'll do it for all of them.
  7. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

World PVP here sounds like it's definitely worth checking out.

I like world pvp in faction war based games. It fits the lore.

I just hope that communities in the factions want to work together instead of "everyone for himself" like what happens in many games.

My first experience in world pvp was in EQ. We looked out for each other. There were times when some of us didn't want to go quest for whatever. So, we patrolled the low level areas acting as protectors. And, if enemies were found, calls went out for reinforcements. It was great fun!

From what I've been reading on this site, it sounds like Wildstar is attracting players that want to work together and have fun. If it works out that way, then I think world pvp here would be fun the play.
    mockingfox likes this.
  8. Draegan

Draegan Cupcake

Seems like a pretty standard ruleset.
  9. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

They organized trading in WoW the same way they'd do it for Wildstar, via external online sites and methods of communication like IRC. It will be more difficult with cross-server battlegrounds, not impossible. Whether or not the reward is marginal, and worth the effort, will differ from player to player.
  10. Zee

Zee Cupcake

Nice update, thanks for sharing it with us Bardic.
  11. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

Hello Bardic! I had a couple of questions regarding arenas :)

• Will there be any measures taken to prevent boring "pillar humping" (sorry about the lingo, just what it was always referred to as)? Or does the mobility and play style of Wildstar already fix that issue?
    • What is your feelings about double jump in PVP? Will there be "High Gravity" (No double jump - just regular single jump) in eg. Arena?
  12. M3sar

M3sar New Cupcake

Thank you Bardic for the information regarding world pvp!

I would go a step further though...
    There should be a bounty system with this
    For every (world pvp) kill there should be a multiplier for experience, reputation / world pvp points
    for each kill.
    Upon getting killed in battle the multiplier is lost. The player who kills you gets 1/3 (figurative) of your multiplier. Your death is then worth normal exp/rep amount.

Now for the bounty system:
    Players would be sorted on the wanted poster taking into account the number of the kills each player has accomplished / world pvp points.
    There should be titles for getting in top 10. Titles should not be permanent. The player who stays on the top 10 list in game for a defined amount of time gets a unique title.
    The bounty list should state the name of the player and name of the place the last kill took place.

This is a very rough sketch of the general idea. I hope some1 finds it inspiring enough to come up with something deeper. I think There should be a reward system implemented in the game which would encourage people to do world pvp from Leveling and through Elder game.
    mockingfox, Disease and Rakunish like this.
  13. Keda

Keda New Cupcake

Hi,
    I hope not to ask questions already posted.

Can you tell us more about the servers :
    What will be their maximum population?
    Will there RP (PVP and PVE) servers?
    Have you ever thought about solutions in case of faction's imbalance on a server?
  14. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I like the idea that when I'm on a PvP server I am flagged PvP at all times. The only safe spot is sanctuary's or towns.
    mockingfox and Forge Darksteel like this.
  15. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

I'm guessing this is exactly why they said that if you're in a zone that belongs to your faction, then you will not automatically be flagged for PvP, meaning low-mid level zones I'm guessing. To help avoid exactly this problem.
  16. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

Thanks for the post Bardic. All of you at Carbine have been doing an awesome job communicating with the fans. We appreciate it!

A lot of these systems seem sound for me. It's really wanting to make me roll on a PvP server to be honest...decisions decisions.

Keep up the good work though!
  17. Drunkatm

Drunkatm New Cupcake

To start i would like to thank you for the thread, info, and taking the time to listen to and interact with the fans!
    The entire team at carbine has been great about this.

Now to put my 2 cents in. I'd like to start by saying that I am a huge fan of PvP! All the MMOs i have played that is about all I do. For me this is the most important part of the game play. So the fact that you are spending so much time and effort into this portion of the game puts a big smile on my face!

Concerns
    1. Server balance. mainly number of players on each faction. Being the underdog on a 5 to 1 ratio server could get real frustrating!
    2. Getting face rolled with out the chance to even react in a 1v1 or 2v1 match up. I know you are balancing using "bob" but I still worry cause this is also frustrating.
    3. PvE vs PvP leveling speed. I would like to level threw PvP, but if it takes 10x as long and isn't really viable would also be frustrating to me.

Questions
    1. Does skill out weigh numbers (with in reason like 2v1 or 3v1, not a 20v1)? Loosing to a couple baddies only because there is 2 of them and just one of me at that point in time makes me angry!
    2. Does skill out weigh level (also with in reason)? I hate loosing to a bad player that is a few levels higher and that is the only reason I lost.

Comments
    1. I know ganking can be frustrating, but that is a risk you take rolling a char on a PvP server. I agree with the before mentioned let players deal with it there own way, generally by friends/guildies helping out.
    2. Less xp for killing the same person over and over again is not the way to go. If s/he is going to repeatedly attack me while I quest then he should reward me with good xp (and better yet with his gear)! If your worried about getting camped call in your guildies, or roll PvE.
    3. Being normalized to a zone from entering it is just a bad idea all together. Like others said why am I improving my char just to lose it if i gota go back for something?
    4. love the idea of raiding cities again!
    5. I love the fact that they have so many different options for PvP! killing other people is fun, but i don't want to be forced to do it just in battle grounds, or just in the world. Just like raiders don't wanna be stuck with just one raid PvPers want options too!

Thank you again for taking the time to read my wall of text. tried to break it up so it not to bad.
  18. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

While an entire zone like Tol Barad may be out of a question I'm sure most of us old WoW veterans remember farming for motes of fire in Nagrand?

If someone was farming for too long, was alone, ect it eventually turned into a good time had all around just by the nature of PvP and resources...

Perhaps a smaller playtest like this is in order?

:inlove: no matter what
  19. Mange

Mange New Cupcake

Separate PVP progression for World PVP would be nice. like Age of Conans PVP XP system. You get XP for up to 5 kills on a single enemy, you get more than that for winning a PVP minigame. I don't want to have 1000s of PVP kills THEN have PVP xp added. I think PVP progression should be standard nowadays, you will add it eventually and there's no reason to wait. Well there is one but I won't mention that.
  20. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

You already get XP for killing people in WildStar.