1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Community Competition - Design the Background Winners!

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Zap-Robo, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Ladies and Gentlemen, Chuas and Mordesh, Roswdowers, all...

It is time. When WildStar Central was launched (from it's former status as Carbine Central) the only faction that we had any look of or information on was the Exiles. Accordingly, our first background featured them heavily. Today, we have full information on both the Exiles and the Dominion as well as all the playable races - it was time for a change so we turned to the community. And our community did not disappoint!

So, without further ado...

Third Place: Nienie and steelsuit
    Well, it was just too difficult to decide between which of these two artists were more deserving. So, after wrangling with Carbine for some additional prizes... we were able to give out a joint third place award!

[​IMG]

Nienie went with a chibi-esque cartoon take on the various races (with a bonus Rowsdower balloon!) and while it was suitable in layout, the colours were just a little too bright for the current design of the site.

[​IMG]

Steelsuit went with a realistic looking original artwork that was simply stunning - showcasing a Mechari and a Mordesh, but alas fell afoul of the same issue as Nienie's work - in that it was just too bright to fit in with WSC's current aesthetic.

Both were wonderful original artworks and well deserving of a prize!

Second Place: ahamling27
    It was a close-run thing between our second and first place winners with the decision being held off almost to the last moment - both suited the site well and as you'll see were very similar takes on the same idea.

[​IMG]

The design put forth by ahamling27 uses Carbine's official concept art of the various races to display either side of the forum itself - along faction lines. Unfortunately, the deciding factor that relegated this entry to Second Place was the central backdrop - Nexus was too bright and obscured the site's navigation options. Overall a great piece, and very in tune with the site's requirements!

First Place: BreepBrop
    And so, we come to the winner - the backdrop that you will soon be seeing gracing the actual background of WildStar Central, from the mind of BreepBrop!

[​IMG]

And here it is - the darker background tones of the central image of Nexus, the inclusion of faction insignia and the subtle lighting changes for each faction grouping all combined to make this the best overall submission (both in terms of layout and creativity) for WSC's new backdrop. Congratulations, BreepBrop!

--

And there you have it! Our winners! WSC will shortly be contacting each winner individually to confirm their win and the look of WSC itself will soon be changing accordingly too!
    Kash, Kataryna and Arawulf like this.
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Congrats winners! :D
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Congratz!

And personally I love the cutiness factor of the Chibi one :D

Glad to finnaly see some Dominion love in here :up:
  4. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Congrats to the winner. But if I'm honest, I don't like the new background at all. Sorry. Way to busy for my taste. It distracts from the content.
  5. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Nice job guys! ..but yeah, I have to agree with Black Wolf. It's really harsh on the eyes having all that layered detail on either side of the text area.

Edit: I forgot to add that I really like the two drawn pieces. If I had to choose, I would've taken one of them. Steelsuit's style fits more of my personal preference, but Nienie's would've been the best as a background because it's not overpowered by high contrasting details. Anyways, well done to all the entrants!
  6. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I'm on the same page as you but then again, I'm very hard to please. I'd rather not go into any criticisms because obviously they won and it detracts from the purpose of the thread.

Either way, grats 'n stuff. :p Here's a cookie:
    [​IMG]
  7. Reyson

Reyson New Cupcake

Congratz winners. Next time I will win. Be sure ! :'(
  8. Arawulf

Arawulf Owner of WildStarFans.net

Those are all amazing! Well done community!
  9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

Congratulations to the winner and here is a cold glass of milk to go with Xlugon's cookie.

[​IMG]
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  10. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

Congratulations to all winners!

I have to say this is my favourite, though:
    [​IMG]
    I love it!

The bacground we got, I think the Dominion side looks better, the Exile seems a bit "washed out", especially the human.
    John likes this.
  11. steelsuit

steelsuit WSC Background Designer 2013

mechari happily runs off into the distance, as he will no longer have to endure the stare of the mordesh. ;)
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, congrats to the winners! I am happy to find myself among them.
    I wonder, will we see the rest of the entries sometime in the future? I am curious of what other participants have created.
  12. Reyson

Reyson New Cupcake

13. ahamling27

ahamling27 WSC Background Designer 2013

Damn, I thought the rowsdower in mine would put me over the top. :p

Anyway, congrats to the winner! And thanks for the contest, it was fun! :D
  14. John

John "That" Cupcake

I would have given first place to steelsuit. Much more original.

This one looks like a mspaint cut and paste job.

Was there some hidden rule that entries must include all of the official Carbine models stacked on top of each other? I find it odd that both this one and 2 of the finalist are all essentially the same.
    Jabberwocky and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  15. Kash

Kash Cupcake

Congratulations! Those are all awesome
  16. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

The criteria for judging was not the artwork alone, but how it looked as a backdrop to the site itself. Unfortunately, both 3rd Place winners' artwork did not sit right as a backdrop.

That said - they're awesome as wallpapers and I may release them as such later on (I'm using steelsuit's as my own background at home!)

Not at all - however those were the two designs that suited the site the best. The competition specified it should show Exiles and Dominion, or be faction neutral - it was a natural design choice that many entrants followed. Other entries used the models from the WildStar Flicks, or characters from released screenshot but most did go for a faction split to each side.
  17. Karbacca

Karbacca Cupcake-About-Town

and I thought mine was a shoe in...even though the winners is kinda similar to mine and he used the emblems I made in the background...I feel like I won a little.

[​IMG]
  18. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Congrats to the winner, I guess.
    Sorry if I'll be rude, but in my opinion, this is bad (as a background and well...basically in general).
    The planet in the middle looks like a big gross oil splotch, and I don't know why, but the exile human looks like a vampire. Sadly, everybody's favourite chua (or the draken or the aurin) not even visible here.

The other submissions were pretty good though. A well deserved congratulations to them! :)
  19. Merketh

Merketh Cupcake

Yep, feel the same way :/
  20. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Not everyone will be happy 'bout the change but grats anyway! :p

Git 'r dun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.