1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Community Competition - WildStar Haikus

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Zap-Robo, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Introduction
    Did someone say competition? No? ... oh, wait, that's right, that's what we were going to say! Yes, that's right - it's competition time here at WildStar Central, and we want your entries!

This time, we're looking for haikus. Not just any old haiku, however (that would be silly) - we want your haikus about WildStar. Don't know what a haiku is? Fret not, we'll tell you what we want!

What's more, we'll let you write up to three haikus (but no more than that should be submitted)! Brimming over with ideas? Then we have you covered.

Timeframe and Entering
    To enter, all you will need to do is email up to three haikus to competition@wildstar-central.com before midnight EST on 05th August 2012 - the staff here at WSC will discuss and then announce the winners on 12th August 2012.

All your haikus must be sent on the same email - multiple emails will be disqualified.

Yes, you heard us - winners. We will pick the three finest entries (be it finest craftmanship or wittiest wordplay - you don't need to be a Masaoka Shiki!) for first, second and third place - to be our champions!

Your entry email must include...

- Your entries (1-3) in a plain text format
    - Your WSC forum username
    - Your real name and postal address (for legal, and prize shipping purposes)

Please note that your entry will also be agreement to our competition terms and conditions (listed below).

Prizes
    The winners of this little competition will get a custom forum title - "WildStar Haiku Winner 2012".

And if those bragging rights aren't enough, then (as with our previous community competition) courtesy of Carbine Studios, we will also offer some special WildStar prizes as follows...

First Prize: Dev-signed WildStar poster (view) and a new-style WildStar t-shirt (front/back)
    Second Prize: New-style t-shirt
    Third Prize: A WildStar hat (view)

That's right, you heard us - we've secured real WildStar swag again, straight from the source! See? We still love you, even after all this time since out last competition!

Erm, What's a Haiku?
    A haiku is, essentially, a short poem. Strictly speaking they follow a certain set of rules or characteristics, but since we're not quite so strict, we're going with the far more popular and modern set of rules: a short poem of 17 syllables, split over three lines of 5, 7, and 5 syllables. Additionally, there must be an identifiable WildStar theme to your haiku!

Example Entry
    Confused yet? Have an example, courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood mod, starspun!

With the eldan gone
    The legendary Nexus
    Is free for us all

... yes, that is awful, but you get the idea, and hopefully that will enable you to think of something far, far better than she could. Good luck!

Terms and Conditions
    By submitting an entry to the WildStar Central "WildStar Haiku" competition, you hereby agree to the following terms and conditions:

1. The winners will be chosen by WildStar Central staff from all eligible entries emailed in by the deadline. No other method of entry shall be considered valid.
    2. Only three entries on a single email per person. More than three entries or more than one email by the same person will disqualify all entries. Submission deadline closes at midnight EST on 05th August 2012.
    3. Winners will be announced on WildStar Central by 12th August 2012. Announced winners will additionally be contacted by email and prizes will be distributed by NCsoft.
    4. This competition is void where prohibited by national and/or international law. The entrant assumes the total responsibility of knowing that they reside in a state or territory that prohibits such contests and are subject to any local, state or territorial laws. WildStar Central accepts no responsibility for making these individual legal determinations.
    5. Entries must adhere to the instructions given. Any entries that do not adhere to the guidelines will be disqualified.
    6. Only three prize winners will be assigned, at the discretion of WildStar Central.
    7. WildStar Central cannot be held responsibile for extenuating circumstances that may postpone or terminate this contest. In the unlikely event that a contest is postponed or terminated, information will be posted on WildStar Central.
    8. In the unlikely event that a prize package becomes unavailable prior to prize distribution, WildStar Central reserves the right to arrange any prize substitutions.
    9. WildStar Central admins, moderators and their families are not eligible to participate in this contest.
    10. By entering this contest, you agree to assign all rights relating to your poetry to WildStar Central - allowing WSC the exclusive right to reuse, distribute and share your prose.
    11. DISCLAIMER: WildStar Central has no official ties to NCsoft Interactive.
    Thee likes this.
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Woohoo, something I can actually participate in!

Now, just need to engage the brain.
  3. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

There once was a man from... ... ...
    Oh, I give up.
    I am not a word smith... ... ...

Regards
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

This. Wordsmith or not, I have no idea how to check if I should be prohibited by law to enter a writing contest. If I am - how stupid a law would that be, I'd cast it under censorship of freedom of speech, right?
  5. Zap-Robo

Unfortunately, we can't accept liability should you find yourself ineligible - hence why we have to include that term (it could be against your local law to enter a competition outside of the country, for example).

Otherwise, we'd have to lock our competitions down to the US only for (legal) safety (and nobody wants that - I know I hated it when I was in the UK!)
  6. Zap-Robo

Too many syllables on the first line, too few on the second and too many on the third ;)
  7. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

The thing about haiku
    They never make too much sense
    Refrigerator
    JarNod likes this.
  8. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

OK, my 3 sent. I could have done that all day.
  9. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I sent my feeble attempt at haikus.
    Spent so much time counting syllables lol.
  10. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

I'll write you a Haiku,
    But I'm not like you,
    I'm going to Nike you
    and just do it.
  11. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

There's no need for
    Sarcasm, Scooter, we understand.
    I'm on a horse!
  12. Frozenoak

I was actually thinking something like;

There once was a thing called a human
    On a ship with a Granok and an Aurin
    then they landed the ship
    and began to equip
    but the land all around suprised them

but as it turns out, that's not a hiku, it's some other kind of poem.
  13. JarNod

That's a limerick actually.
  14. SiegaPlays

15. Frozenoak

That's the word I was looking for... I knew it wasn't an Iambic Pentameter.

Edit: I think Iambic Pentameter is a music thing.
  16. SiegaPlays

I agree, I hate when an online international userbase is split by geography. I prefer your method, just never thouth about who to ask such questions and why on earth it should be illegal in the first place :p
  17. JarNod

Iambic Pentameter is the rhythm of the poem. There are 4 forms of rhythm: Iambic, trochaic, dactylic and anapestic. The first two are 2 syllable rhythms, while the last 2 are 3 syllable rhythms.

The pentameter refers to how many iambic "feet" there are on each line. Iambic pentameter means that there are 10 syllables with every other syllable is stressed. Essentially, if you stressed the proper syllables an Iambic Pentameter line sounds like this, "da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM". This is different than trochaic where the first syllable of each foot is stressed, i.e. "DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM da". Shakespeare wrote a lot of his plays in Iambic Pentameter and if you want one that really stresses that style (no pun intended) I would recommend the Fairy Queen.

The most common dactylic line is hexameter, Homer's Iliad and I believe his Odyssey are written in this meter. It would sound like "DUM da da DUM da da DUM da da DUM da da DUM da da DUM da da". I'm sure you can guess what anapestic hexameter sounds like, but I'll write it down anyway, "da da DUM da da DUM da da DUM da da DUM da da DUM da da DUM". Funnily enough, limericks are supposed to be written in anapestic feet.

I'm sure you wanted to know all this... :p I blame my AA in Liberal Arts for knowing it all. The best part about haiku, though? No meter required! :D
  18. Zap-Robo

Note to self: Iambic Pentameter Competition next...
  19. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

In sooth I know not why I am so sad,
    It wearies me, you say it wearies you.

^^Had to memorize that back in 8th grade. I think it's from Shakespeare? Good example of iambic pentameter, though.
  20. Syte

Syte New Cupcake

Question: If I send the my entry and notice that one haiku has... idk... more syllabels than permitted, can I umm... resend or correct that mistake?