1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Concept Art & Races & Dominion

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Myrddin, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Could be a spoiler for some, hence I am not embedding the picture.

I have been working on my website and suddenly noticed something. Not sure if it is just my crazy mind spinning up wierd theories or if it is too obvious not wha tI am thinking :D Help me decide!

http://www.carbinestudios.com/media/uploads/images/wallpapers/carbine_battle_1024x768.jpg as

The Dominion are the bad guys, hence the title "battle" fits the general theme of a faction battle. The 2 Characters in the front, with the back turned to us look like a Granok and an Esper Aurin (old art, hence no bunny ears maybe, male?). Opposing on the other side are 3 differnt humanoid races and when I saw them it suddenly struck me, could these be the dominion races?

What do you think? they look too different to be jsut scattered random npcs that seem to enounter us in a battle. Maybe they are being totally reworked, since that concept art ... it is just this idea I can't get out of my head.

kind regards
  2. Oabe

Oabe Cupcake-About-Town

hmm idk the guy in the middle looks interesting, hopes thats a playable race
  3. souper

souper Founding Member

Yeah, the green guy standing besides the Granok is suggestive of something. I don't think its an Aurin though. He looks like this guy: link and even this guy: link only with greener skin.

Its not unfair to speculate that he'll be a race choice but that wallpaper is 2 years old now so who knows how much has changed.

I don't know what to make of the other 3 though. The big guy would be an awesome race to play.
  4. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

I love to speculate things like this and then at some point you find out how close, or not :D, you were.

To me guy looks a bit blueish, maybe better to see here:

http://static.gamer.no/images/8/899/89910/a137bd1af268ecc9c15a04465a8ec32c_carbinee_2048x994.f.jpg

It looks like blueish to me - with a greenish tint agreed, hence the connection witht he Aurin. And yes many thigns couuld have changed since then, just look at the granoks sword. So if this is the dominion, they have probably changed by now, too. Seems to me that the art had in general more fantasy and less sci-fi.
  5. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

The right thing looks like an Alien (from Alien the Movie), the middle thing is a normal evil Human and on the left is Mr Hellboy ^^
  6. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Hard to make out details, but I do not think the middle one is a human, or well maybe after a real bad sunburn, but the face has an odd look, too.
  7. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

If you watch the early game play trailers there are two things that immediately became apparent to me when someone mentioned "Dominion". There is a troopship that gets shot down by a barrage of red fireballs/artillery. Then there is a "camp" with cannon, spacecraft, and guys wearing red uniforms. I assumed this was a Dominion camp.
  8. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Yep, the Dominion seem to be the more organised, hi-tech faction. Which makes them more likely that I'll be playing on that side as a Scientist....
  9. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

Well, yeah considering it was even mentioned during each presentation that it is the evil dominion that was shooting down the civilist ship I did not bother to mention it :D After all I was pointing out that the early concept art may show them.

However I was not able to find out what the "good" guys are called. Saw "Exiles" "Outcasts" and Jeremy Gaffneys says in the exclusive Interview, part 3 2:55 "this is the 6 through 12 levelzone for 'the defiant'" - but I am german so I might be wrong.

Back to the looks! If you see any dominion guy, even jsut a glimpse I'd love to look at it.
  10. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I am very curious about the dominion races, as well!
    I have a feeling that as Dominion we still have the Warriors, Espers, and Spellslingers... but their look may be entirely different. At least... I'm hoping all armor and outfits differ for the Dominion.
  11. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I suspect that the Dominion will have a different set of classes - however one will be melee, one ranged, and one support.

For instance, in one of the walkthrough videos there were Dominion Engineer, Dominion Gunner, Dominion Swordsman and Dominion Seer NPC's. If these are at all representative of potential classes then I'd expect...

Melee DPS = Warrior (Exile) vs. Swordsman (Dominion)
    Support = ESPer (Exile) vs. Seer (Dominion)
    Ranged DPS = Spellslinger (Exile) vs. Gunner (Dominion)
    Control/Pets = Unknown (Exile) vs. Engineer (Dominion)

Four Classes to cover each of the major MMO archetypes, much like the four Paths cover the major playstyles.
  12. ImmortalExile

Good point, Zap.
    I suppose... I'm more curious to see the Races, then... lol.
  13. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

Hm. Honestly, I'm getting a vibe that class design is going to be similar to Guild Wars 2. Every class is well-rounded and self-sufficient with party benefits but no roles. No dedicated tanks or healers, it's more about coordination and taking turns. Classes will be differentiated by specific mechanics, play style and flavour.

That seems more like the "console style" gameplay that they seem to be going for.

But anyway, I think the classes will be the same on both sides. I hope the faction divide is one of ideals rather than species, so they'll have fairly similar capabilities.
  14. Ekhael

Ekhael Founding Member

15. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

Hm. The first one might be a really early aurin concept, too.
  16. Ekhael

Ekhael Founding Member

yea but he looks kinda badass so i was thinking the mirror of the aurin perhaps *shrugs*
  17. ImmortalExile

Possible. I'd bite. lol
    I don't think they will have the Dominion be all these tiny little flecks, though. At least... I hope not.
  18. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

I'm hoping we learn a bit more about the Dominion and new races at PAX. Considering the beta is already expected in 2012, I suspect they might be further along than some might think, and that they had a team working on the next playable build while Gamescon was going on. I may very well be wrong about this... but I hope I'm not!
  19. ImmortalExile

I hope you're not, as well! I'm too eager to learn more about the Dominion and the Exiles, too. Even if it's just ONE Dominion Race- yes, please!
  20. .selebu

.selebu Cupcake

I doubt they will bring a different demo or anything the like.
    But maybe they will reveal something in a press conference / presentation