1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Confirmed: Chu are Genderless

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Argo, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Sierus

Sierus Cupcake

Aurin and Mordesh make up enough of the boobage for the entire Exile side. Busty Mechari not withstanding, but would still like to see if Chua do indeed have a girly side.
  2. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

I like Johnny's analogy the best on this topic when he mentioned gerbils and their physical appearance.
  3. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
    Zorua, Afroshroom and GrizzlyWoods like this.
  4. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

Doh! But I always hated using the inspect function :(.

It's logical but I do think it takes a lot of fun out of it, especially for those who want their characters to very feminine. I think the ability to look cute or mean is a poor substitute because both characteristics I wouldn't really see as being exclusive to one sex or the other.
  5. GrizzlyWoods

GrizzlyWoods New Cupcake

I suppose the biggest issue comes with your character's voice. You can play an androgynous furball and pretend its this or that but if its voice is clearly masculine, then that pops the bubble. It'd make sense to have separated genders in the character creation, with slight differences in, say, facial features, and distinct voices.
    Trigger likes this.
  6. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

Chua are not androgynous and that's the point.

If there is no facial distinction in character creation, then this is female:

[​IMG]

That's just silly.
  7. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

You're saying that the females of some fictional race in a video game couldn't have facial hair? I think you're the one being silly.

Who is to say that the "male" chua aren't the ones having the babies....
    Chim likes this.
  8. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

I said no such thing...
  9. Laughter

Laughter New Cupcake

Maybe perhaps there will be no male or female but when customizing your Chua there will be feminine and masculine attributes to give it a look and feel that you may be one or the other.
    Anthony Pemberton likes this.
  10. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

It's clearly possible to style a Chua as a male or a female. Personally, I like the idea that it's grooming-related aspects of character customization that make the difference, not huge disparities in body type. We already have a number of races with huge disparities, including at least one where it perhaps shouldn't be a requirement (some Mechari might want to style themselves as fembots, but I find it bizarre that all of them would choose to present themselves either as that or as clearly masculine).

In any case, there's no need to narrow the range of possibilities down to the Chua either being asexual or to them having clearly defined male and female genders. Maybe they're born as females but some of them develop into males at a certain point in their life cycle. Maybe they reproduce sexually, but have both male and female sexual organs at the same time. Maybe their race has more than two genders. I mean, we are dealing with science fiction here and we already have races that are outside the reproductive norm (Mechari, Mordesh). I'd like to see a little more diversity in race lore besides, "These are purple humans, and these are green humans with psychic powers, and these humans have bumps on their foreheads..."

I'm hoping the shameful secret really is weird and awkward, though, in some way that goes beyond not being strictly male or female. Maybe they have to lay eggs in corpses, or eat their mates, or engage in incest (okay, probably not that if we're talking about a teen-rated game).
  11. eselle8

Eh. The models for most of the other races take some of the fun out of it for those who want their characters to look fairly androgynous. It appears that you can still make a pink Chia, still add feminine or masculine details, and presumably find feminine or masculine armor and dye colors. That's more than I can do if I want to make a robot that isn't clearly gendered or a human or a space zombie who isn't extremely slim and busty. I think there's room to let people who aren't comfortable with strongly-gendered characters have at least one race they can play with.
  12. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

yea, but I have always and will always play the smallest race possible (gnome, dwarf, asuran, chua, etc) and I WANT my Chua to be a Female Chua with Reddish Hair AND a chest. I'm a chesty girl, and fairly short (well, at least when standing next to my 6'6 hubby!) - I want my char to be at least like me in those two ways - short and chesty. And I do NOT want to be an Aurin - because they're not the essential "short" race, the Chua are!
  13. eselle8

Sure. So you're not going to get exactly what you want when it comes to character creation. I'd like to play a female character who doesn't look like a sex kitten. Unless I roll a Chua, I'm not going to get that. If we change the Chua so they're short and busty, I won't get that at all. There's someone else out there who wants to play a dwarf, I'm sure of it, and who's annoyed they're not in this game.

I guess my point is that that this isn't a unique dilemma, and that "I won't get to make exactly my favorite kind of character!" shouldn't be sufficient to change a fun, interesting race that many other people will like for exactly the reasons that are turning you off. WildStar is already not very diverse in terms of racial body types. I'd be really disappointed if it became even more homogenized.
    Daynejah likes this.
  14. Fingers

Fingers Cupcake-About-Town

But I thought options in character creation these days provided ample depth for creating characters, complete with sliders for making features less or more pronounced.

I do appreciate what you're saying and at the end of the day it's one person's satisfaction verses another's disappointment.

It's never occurred to me before that anyone would want to play a character with no gender, would be curious to see what a poll delivers.
  15. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

well, Asura is about what I'd like out of the options - a choice to be female - instead of being "this is the only character to choose from" make sure it's "you have 'female' looking and voiced options on this side, and 'male' looking and voiced options on this side"
  16. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

The problem with that is that there is this tendency for designing "Female" characters as all one phenotype. Hourglass figures. Armor has holes cut into it, or is barely there. Because "How else can you tell it's a female?"

And that leads to problems.

Personally? I'd prefer a game have multiple models for each gender and race. Some bustier, some thin, some wider, some more flat chested. Real variety. The idea of an androgyn race, though, is pretty sweet, to me.

-Rachel-
  17. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

on apearrance you can see clearly when a chua is "male" or "female" even that they don't have genitals, but if they have gamets, it makes em' gender based. (idk they are aliens, they could just burp the gamest and spoko spoko)
  18. Argo

Argo New Cupcake

19. Zorua

Zorua New Cupcake

Ah, good. We finally have confirmation on that. Glad to know!
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Just makes them even more ''psychotic'' :D Can you imagine how they reproduce? :cautious:
    They and UKcheese like this.