1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Controller Support

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Paterk, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

Edit 5/22/2013:

Major News On Controller Support from the Opposition Podcast Twitch TV interview

It seems controller support isn't built in to the game as a featured system. It was said that combat would be well suited for combat, but navigating the UI would be more difficult. I did not receive a definite yes/no answer on if it would be included in the final game.

"End Edit"

Don't lynch me, but I play all my MMOs with a 360 controller. WOW, Swtor, Gw2, Forsaken World, DCO, Champions Online, Tera, Rift. with shift, alt, ctrl modifiers I am able to get dozens of hotkeyable commands. I also can set it up to control like a third person shooter. Thanks xpadder.

On that note, I've heard a dev say that controller support is built, it just needs to go through QA. I think wildstar would be perfect with it. As long as they give you easy telegraph aiming, the ability to run towards the camera, and nice z targeting strafing.

What's the consensus amount this community about native controller support?
    Mua'diib and ruff_ethereal like this.
  2. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Eh... It's not for me, but I'm not against others using it. I'm very into my keyboard and mouse and will never change.
    If there is support for those that prefer a controller, then I'm all the happier for them, too!
  3. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Personally, I feel like it would be a waste of developer resources to fine-tune the game for controller play. I realize some folks like yourself favor it, but it's a fringe case in the scope of the entire player base.

But, I'm sure you're probably going to be able to rig it similar to how you've done it for other games.
    Kezzo, Praiz and Draogon like this.
  4. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I haven't ever tried a controller for an MMO, though for basic PVE like farming, questing, etc. it works well from what I've read. If they built in 360 pad support natively I think you'd get a good number of people trying it for non-raiding/non-pvp activities (though one arguably could probably make it work decently for basic pvp, I'd think targeting would be relatively tough as you couldn't directly target by clicking and would have to rely on the equivalent of tab-targeting).

I doubt I'll really try it myself for any length of time, but if I did it would be for mob farming only (assuming it worked comfortably and efficiently), probably on my 1080p LCD projector from the sofa ;). Native support wouldn't be a bad thing at all, and requires a minimal amount of dev time to implement. Sure, very few people use it in the overall playerbase, but you could say the same of many features, and this one is pretty low on the totem pole of difficulty and resources required.
  5. Luciamund

Luciamund Cupcake

As far as time involved to make it work from the UI guys it wouldn't really be a big deal. But as far as what percentage of the community they are helping with it? I honestly have never seen any data at all on how many people play mmos with an Xbox controller so I am going to assume less than 1 percent so if we assume about a million players at launch with less than 10k using it that still makes financial sense to make it work, barely. But honestly with how easy they are saying it will be to mod the UI they should probably leave it to the mod community.
  6. Paterk

I'm not quite so sure that adding any kind of meaningful controller support is a simple and easy matter. Sure the devs can incorporate an Xpadder like fix native in the game, but thats not really sound design. If a good designer is going to implement a feature, he/she will make it meaningful and integrated into the overarching design philosophy of the game. We've all seen features in games that were half baked after thoughts, half heartily integrated into the game far down the design pipeline.

That being said, I was excited to hear that they already had built into support for the controller.

http://www.denofgeek.us/games/wildstar/83262/what-you-need-to-know-about-wildstar

"One of the questions that I asked Jeremy about was whether or not there would be controller support for Wildstar. He mentioned that it's probably going to happen, and that they have code for it, but it is just a matter of passing through QA."

That tells me they were forward thinking, and had systems in place to support intelligent and meaningful controller support in both battle and UI use. Or maybe I'm just thinking wishfully. I want to play Wildstar on a couch!
  7. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I am constantly amazed at the breadth and scope of what Carbine is doing, and this is no exception! As long as they didn't change the game's design *to accommodate a controller* I think that's awesome for folks like yourself!

This probably is a topic for another thread, but you mention playing from the couch. That I think gets to the root of the differences players have about this controller topic.

I don't see MMOs as "couch games." Things like Madden, Rock Band, Mario Kart... those are the couch games to me, and something for which a controller is more appropriate. Those are "video games" which I don't really classify MMOs as.

For MMOs, combat is just one part of playing the game. There are so many other systems to interact with and other gameplay elements (crafting for example), not to mention other people. They have more than an "in-the-moment" appeal, which is what a typical video game is all about.

Instead, I'd classify a well-designed MMO as a hobby in and unto itself, that happens to be presented as a computer entertainment program. They tend to offer more depth, complexity and are more of an intellectual pursuit than a video game.

So that's why I don't favor the controller paradigm for these games... even though they may work well for one small sliver like combat, there is SO much more to do in these worlds!

Plus, I'd never be able to commandeer the big screen for 5 hours a night ;)
  8. MrBushido

MrBushido Cupcake

The melee side of things looks like it'd definitely make a gamepad a fun way to play in the same way most action/adventure games work well with a pad. Like you said though, the maker or breaker of gamepad control will likely depend on how well placed telegraphs work with it.

I'll most likely play with keyboard and mouse just for the camera control freedom and precise telegraph placement. That said, I have an open mind to using a gamepad (dodging and such would probably be easier).
  9. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I'm only gonna lynch you if Carbine starts "recommending" controllers aka "use a controller or you'll suck".
  10. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Didn't care for using controllers for MMOs until I tried it with Tera. It's just amazing fun. With the Limited Action Set, it will make things pretty simple to map your skills. I imagine it will be useful for the freeform combat.
  11. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

my only problem with something like controller support is that it's a matter of one always being better than the other somehow. in the short term it's great to say something like, im fine with it as long as the core of the game isn't changed by it, but then 5 years down the road every game has lfd in it and it's irreversible, and the core of the games has been changed anyway.

now I know full well these are not the same things, but the progression of ideas that lead to these kinds of things often go down the same road. the minute there are more people that want to use a controller than there are people who want to use a mouse and keyboard, the genre as a whole swings and suddenly we are on the outside looking into a genre we once loved.

it would be great if there were controller games and keyboard games, but the industry is all about getting the most number of people into your game so they always go after whichever side of any equation is bigger.

with all of the threads around here talking about building community and such, what is going to happen when 1/2 the player base is playing with a controller?

a good solution to all of this might be to have server types. PvPC, PvPK .. etc .. though if you start down that road as well then you have a ridiculous number of server types. PvPC_NOLFD, PVEC_NOLFD .. RPPvP_C_NOLFD .. and well then yer screwed :)
  12. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I just don't see controllers being as good for telegraph or AoE placement as a mouse/keyboard setup and if I have a healer who takes an extra second placing heals in a raid because they insist on a controller and it leads to a tank wipe well that kind of sucks.
  13. Paterk

I guess you guys have guessed by now I'm a causal solo player; a type of player Carbine always mentions along side the hardcore raiders. I work about 60 hours a week, and I have no time for a video game schedule. But to be honest, I like the fact there are people who do nothing put raid every night to get the best gear. It somehow immerses me into the world knowing there are Big Time Players who are always going to be better than me. I'm just a simple dude trying to stake a claim in this big wide world.

I'm realistic enough to know that I'll never raid, and I'll never have the time to invest in competitive pvp. Just let me play in a cool world and go on adventures. A desk, keyboard, and mouse is what I use to work with. A controller and couch is what I use to play games (thanks Steam for big picture!).

It looks like Carbine is going to cater to both h/c and casual players, so I don't think there is alarm about controller support dumbing down the game. I wouldn't want it to. I've managed to hack controller support into pretty much any mmo. I'd just like a break from using a gimped set up.
    Kataryna and Lethality like this.
  14. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I really don't like controllers, not even for consoles, and prefer playing games on my pc. Partially because especially the 360 controller is so big, but also simply from lack of experience with the things.

That said, I totally get that some people prefer them, and since I hear people raving about how much more ergonomical and easy on your hands a controller is than a keyboard/mouse setup I respect it even more when people use controllers for medical reasons.

If the game's native setup for controllers isn't quite up to the task, I'm guessing the fact that we will see modding will save the day for those who prefer them.
  15. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Controllers are good for solo, I once played wow with a controller as well via tv. For group play if you get into a good group you will probably get kicked tho. But that would happen when you are a slowpoke pc user too.
  16. fl1pper

fl1pper New Cupcake

As someone who has RSI in my mouse hand, I would love to see controller support in this game. Without it, I think I will struggle because of the movement that is involved. I can hack it with xpadder and the like but it's never that great.

Love these forums BTW, they are so civilized.. I've never seen any variant of this thread before that hasn't descended into "don't use a controller n00b".
  17. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Don't go into the payment options thread then =P

On a side note. The hardest part about full controller implementation is the shear number of buttons you will need to push + camera rotation. When you are going to have to worry about abilities that I assume would go off in under a second and be able to effectively dodge, I could see it being very difficult to cope with if being attacked from multiple angles.
  18. Paterk

Ya know.... some of the most intense action games that require twitch reflexes (Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Bayonetta) were designed for, and played best with controllers. Not saying your completely wrong, seeing how an action mmo is a little different from a hack and slasher.

I never had any trouble tanking with a 360 controller in 5 man instances with my warrior in WoW ether. Of course it literally doesn't take skill to defeat pre level cap instances anymore.
  19. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Yah. Tera operated on a controller as well, which I believe some people said did even better then a mouse and keyboard for many. The limited action buttons will definitely help as well. The main problem I can see as a difference between this and tera though from gameplay footage I have seen so far is how the camera seems to be moving in general. Dodging and focusing on the target ahead, while the plane for instance that would normally be out of view might be a tad difficult. That is actually the main reason why I absolutely hate console fps games. I just do not feel like I have the same field of vision.
  20. fl1pper

fl1pper New Cupcake

Funnily enough I find the dodging and movement in general is way easier with a controller than with a mouse and keyboard. The biggest problem is attacks that require you to position something on the ground, like an AoE in GW2, but in GW2 there was no native controller support so I had to use xpadder or Pinnacle.

If the OP is right, we could well have official support in Wildstar which would be awesome.