1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Controller Support

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Paterk, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

There have been clickers that have won high level tournaments too, it does not mean that they would have been worse off once learning how to keybind properly. Afterall just because I can pound in nails with a brick does not mean I should not buy a hammer.
  2. Fuhrer Firma

Fuhrer Firma New Cupcake

Pretty certain i can outplay you, find out?
  3. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

4. Fuhrer Firma

Fuhrer Firma New Cupcake

Some ppl just cannot believe it until they see it. Is only reason I want to show them. You can tell ppl it works all day long but until they experience it for themselves they just will not believe it. I HAVE EXPERIENCED IT, play every day. I know for a fact that it works, yet ppl still want to say that it doesnt... just blows my mind. You cant tell me the world is flat when im looking at it from space.
  5. Livnthedream

I never claimed that it did not "work". Attempting to argue that it is as fast however is foolish. You have already admitted that its not. Why would you support someone purposefully handicapping themselves in that fashion? You can do a rather large number of things with just one arm, it does not mean you run around with an arm tied behind your back because "it works".
  6. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Try to keep the discussion civil, please. </Mod Monocle>
  7. Fuhrer Firma

Fuhrer Firma New Cupcake

The only reason that it is not as effective in gw2 as keyboard/mouse is bc there is no native controller support and I have to use a 3rd party program. Gw2 only works 100% if you are a melee character bc of the ground targeting for mages.(and i am melee, so i have no problems) I can use the ground targeting farily quickly but nothing like if I was using a mouse obviously. Ground targeting is the ONLY thing in MMO's that make controller use difficult. Ground targeting pushes the MMO into the FPS category as far as making it less effective to have a controller. FFXI and FFXIV both have native controller support and it is 100% as effective as keyboard/mouse. Final Fantasy mmo's left out ground targeting on purpose so that keyboard/mouse and controller would both work. We are posting bc we want wildstar to support native controller support so that the controls for keyboard/mouse and controller work well like they do in Final Fantasy mmos. Otherwise I will have to play it with a 3rd party program just like I do gw2. (and soooo many others) When controller support is not native of course it is not going to be as good as it would be if it were native. What you are arguing about though is not that controller could not be effective, but it is not currently as effective bc gw2 did not support native controller support. So if you want to make a game that any input works just as well, make a good UI and and no ground targetting.
  8. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

"no you filthy casual scum!"

[​IMG]
  9. Vrasku

Vrasku New Cupcake

I'm really struggling to find why ppl feel that using a 360 controller would automaticaly make you not as effective player.

I would recomend having a look at how tera has inbuilt tech for both ps3 and 360 controller, and being an action combat game Tera is, and Wildstar seems to be, from the movement and placement of skills to be suited for this type of controller/ game.

Once you have infact played / tryed Tera using these in game programs for controllers I would then really be happy to listen to your views, till then ppl are stubbern and reluctent to change.
  10. Renaise

Renaise Cupcake

I am definitely in the plus one category for adding controller support. When I got some hands on time with the game it felt like it could work pretty well on a controller
  11. Vrasku

Vrasku New Cupcake

I wanted to add, that when in Tera, I was by no means sat on the sofa with a big bag of chips, contoller in one hand and baby sitting the kids.

I'm at my desk keyboard and mouse infront, typing and use of mouse for menu's, I play mmo's in the semi hard core cat. And see no real reason why having a controller makes you casual.

Having said that any console player would easly be able to adapt and pick up the controls, as if done like tera within game snd not third party. Then there is no disadvantage, maybe even an advantage as a regular controller user would prob be more fluid with the games combat mechanics.

And opening up or introducing consoul gamers who can be just as hard core as your heavy raider, and more players what ever thier back ground has to be good for the game as a whole
  12. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Ewww..
  13. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

Basically this.

I feel that I can't perform at a good enough standard when using a controller. :(
    Konoko likes this.
  14. Paterk

So this thread has seen a respectable amount of opinions, and the theme I'm seeing is that there are several more people in favor/could coexist with controller support than their are people against it. I'm also seeing that the people against are ether uninformed or extremely biased on the subject (most times both). I still haven't been offered a valid argument as to why carbine should avoid offering controller support. MMOs are not twitch based action games requiring pin point accuracy.

And to be honest, if someone is going to look down upon me for using a controller, I could really care less that I'm 10, 20 , or 50 percent less effective. I want to play the game how I want. And if the game isn't going to support it, that's fine. I'll be forced to use a third party application that might further reduce my ability. That being said, I've never been singled out for bad performance when playing with a controller (and I'm talking about tanking for 10 man raids consistently).

Like it or not, controller support isn't the demon keyboard evangelist say it is. if wildstar doesn't support it out of the box, I'm going to see if Houston can.
  15. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

You know what could be awesome? If Sony releases solid, official PC drivers for it's Dual Shock 4. With it's built-in clickable touch pad, it could be the perfect MMO controller.

[​IMG]
  16. Paterk

***Major News On Controller Support from the Opposition Podcast Twitch TV interview***

It seems controller support isn't built in to the game as a featured system. It was said that combat would be well suited for combat, but navigating the UI would be more difficult. I did not receive a definite yes/no answer on if it would be included in the final game.
  17. Livnthedream

I understand that people are irrational by nature, but how is this any different from the people who want to use their special snowflake spec, or no gems, or wrong statted gear? I do not want to play with those players either. How is that making me unimformed or an evangilist?
  18. Paterk

Because you are automatically assuming that I will be a bad player if I'm using a controller. I also corrected your spelling in the quote... well spell check did.
  19. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Things are perhaps getting a bit too heated. I recommend backing off a bit. </Mod Monocle>
  20. Livnthedream

So? How is it any different from the examples I gave above? How is it any different from clicking? I do not want to play with those who purposefully make suboptimal choices. Using a controller is not as effective as keybinding. I see it the same way as someone who uses green gems in a well statted peice of gear that they will use for awhile, or who take peices of gear from other players because "its epic" and the like.

You could honestly be the best player I have ever seen and I would still question your decision because I know that you would be that much better using a "proper" method. There are also the other considerations, like typing, UI, and turning especially. I understand that you find a keyboard uncomfortable, but most things are uncomfortable until you learn how to use them.