1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Controller Support

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Paterk, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

Well your new here so I'm not going to argue with you anymore. Its your choice to drop group or avoid people as soon as you find out they are using certain input devices. You have made your point, and there is no longer any sense to dwell on the obvious fact that joysticks are less accurate than mice.

Let us continue on with this thread.

As I posted above, I was a little bummed that the devs didn't seem to know anything for certain on in house controller input. I tried to ask a question in the live stream if Houston would be able to support some in game mod love, but the question wasn't seen. That being said, When the question did come up none of the designers blinked an eye about it being a viable controller scheme for combat.
    Menchi likes this.
  2. BulletKidBones

BulletKidBones New Cupcake

I for one would love to see controller support in the game, that being said I wouldn't be too bothered if it isn't implemented - just as long third-party programs to support the use of controllers isn't banned. As someone who grew up on consoles rather than PC gaming this appeals to me and I understand if that doesn't apply to others and I accept it.

While I know that I'm new on these forums I just thought I should add my two cents to the discussion. Yes its true the people that use controllers are a considerably low percentage of the PC gaming market, it is also possible that many of those gamers are also not very good with the games they play. However, they keep playing regardless, that should tell everyone something - they like the game and they want to play it in a way that appeals to them, not the person harping on them for being a bad players because they use a controller. There are bad players in every game regardless of input device, just because there have been a couple of bad players that use a controller doesn't mean controllers are an instant drop in skill.

For example, I play Guild Wars 2 and I have been playing it exclusively for the past couple of months. I play it with a controller, and while I'm not the greatest play I know I am pretty sure I'm at a higher skill level than your average player. In this thread I saw a reference to the grenade engineer and how difficult it could be with a controller because of the AoE targeting, and I agree that its difficult - but I've been on the engineer forums and I've seen keyboard and mouse players complain about the grenade engineer as well. The "1" grenade skill is the "1" skill that cannot be put on auto-attack, so that's a actually problem that doesn't just affect controller users exclusively. Sure AoE's are difficult with a controller - initially. However, when its all you play with, you get used to it and you adapt with better reaction times; its really that simple.

I could go on but this is starting to look like a bloody essay and I apologize for that. People play play with controllers because they've adapted to it or in cases need to adapt to it; the same essentially goes for mouse and keyboard. Any time I run into someone who threatens to drop from a group or kick me out of a group because I use a controller, I tend to leave first - chances are I'd probably not want to play a game with someone possessing such a closed mindset.

( And this is coming from someone who's mains a condition Nade engineer, Raw dps Necro and shatter/healer Mesmer hybrid. I like doing things differently ;] )
  3. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Aaaww man I saw the header of this and thought it would be a thread on a class.:whistling:
  4. Paterk

Sorry no controller support classes that I know of have even been hinted. But I think each class is capable of building a Crowd Control type spec.
  5. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

I've never been able to successfully play with a controller in an MMO. It's easier than trying to use one for an FPS (I will never, ever play an FPS on a console, it's simply uncomfortable and impossible for me to aim accurately).

But I see no reason for them to not include support unless it somehow negatively impacts the game. Basically, design for PC first, and everything else second. There's already too many games where the PC version is the port and poorly done on top of that. Since this is an MMO being developed for windows, I doubt that'll be a problem.

I wonder if a controller/trackball combo would work for some people.
  6. canoptek

canoptek New Cupcake

i don't think any resources should be taken to allow for controller interface, unless it's easy as customizing the key bindings, then by all means go for it.
  7. Ynygma

Ynygma New Cupcake

Hello all, new to the forums.

I just wanted to echo what had already been discussed by staying that I currently play Neverwinter open beta with my Xbox 360 controller (via xpadder) and having a blast! Xpadder solves any concerns about not being enough buttons for an mmo, etc with button sets activated by holding or pressing the button you assign it to.

For a more traditional mmo like WoW, the controller was not the best fit for me due to combat not being real time. With the advent of mmos like Tera, G2, Neverwinter and now Wildstar, at lest for me it is like the game was meant for a controller because you are constantly dodging, jumping, blocking, etc when in combat making it much easier for me to play with a controller.

It would be nice if the device include controller support natively but if not, xpadder should work nicely :)
  8. Paterk

Yeah, I've been using xpadder for a few years now, and its amazing what I've been able to get out of that program.

The only reason native controller support would be nice, would be for UI stuff. Being able to accept quests, select rewards, and basic bag managment is a pain on gamepads when its all controlled by point and click. I mean I've used xpadder tricks to work around that for many games, but even a little bit of support would help. An interact keybind and being able to cycle through conversations with a keybind would be great.
  9. Victim

Victim New Cupcake

Careful what you wish for, most devs get it into their heads that they need to add controller supprt and add the most useless basic support to the game and it ruins it for people like me who use the pad for every aspect of the game.

So IMO NO CONTROLLER SUPPORT!! Not unless you want to do it right and make it fully customisable or you will just ruin the game game for people like me who need to use a pad, I also have been PC MMO/FPS gaming with a pad for many years now. The only support you can give us pad users that would be helpful would be what the guy above just said. Use the numbers 1-9 to accept dialogue choices ect. Much like Neverwinter did.

Otherwise if you are really serious about using a pad you will already know what tools to use.
    Pinnacle game profiler (the best out there)
    Xpadder (gets the job done)
  10. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I believe it would be a great idea to add support for a controller (I would like to play W* with it even if I'm not that good using any controller yet). But telegraphs aiming could be difficult (though console players play FPS games with a controller, so it is probably just me).
  11. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

While controllers are nice for some games, I'd prefer they focus on making the game as "good as it can be" for keyboard/mouse as it is traditional and most of the gamers out there have it. Taking the game to add in macroable commands to a controller keybind interface seems a bit of a misuse of resources for such a small playerbase.

As you said, Xpadder lets people map just about any game to a controller and it works really well.
  12. Red Snow

Red Snow New Cupcake

I wish they make Wildstar controller compatible, that will make it best game for me. i just cant play action MMOs with mouse and keyboard :( unfortunately.

all i ask, to give other ppl who like me (cant master mouse and keyboard) a chance to play this awesome game with what they feel is comfortable to them. I dont know how much work does that mean for game developer but i hope they consider it ^.^.
  13. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

First, please don't necro.
    Second, to make it controller friendly means fracking the interface. That is one of the main reasons why keyboards and controllers do not play nice. The extra things like auto aim support for fps and keyboard turning level slowness for response are things that can fairly easily be adapted. By all accounts thus far, its not overly keyboard turning friendly. There are some things currently being tested to help with latency that can also be used as a pseudo handicap helper, but in general its always worse than mouse+keyboard. If you really want to stick to pc gaming I would say learn how to use a keyboard. Its much like any other skill, you have to work at it a little bit to get into the comfort zone.
  14. Redbaron

Redbaron New Cupcake

Just no, what an awful idea. FFXIV sucked playing with PS3 players. controller players are so slow compared to M&K.
    People wanting to play with a controller should be made to play on a different server so as to not hinder people who are playing the game properly.
    Taher likes this.
  15. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

My brother was one of the top five groups on his server with a PS3 controller. And a PS3 at that. He has got lots of Server firsts. He was the 2nd group to clear the 5th turn in coil. I believe you have no Idea what you are going on about.
  16. Livnthedream

Then he did it in the face of handicap. While certainly possible how many do you think are actually able to accomplish such things? Just because one extraordinary person can manage does not mean most, or even a significant number can.
  17. Redbaron

Redbaron New Cupcake

^This.

The only reason controller support was even remotely viable in ffxiv was due to the combat being mind numbingly slow.
  18. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe it handicaps us, But when you are used to a controller.... For an MMO (maybe clunky menue controlls) People tend to be as good as people with keyboard and mouse. But any more I am libel to say something i should not.... This game possibly would have some of the most unreasonable controls for a controller. Unless they pull a Diablo 3 with the console version. I dont see it working. (after, uhm watching WS) It would take away from development. IMO.
  19. Livnthedream

The devs themselves have said that the general controls map well to a controller, its the chatting/menu interfaces that would pose a problem, and that is generally the case. The issue from a player stand point is controllers are akin to keyboard turning. Can you be successful doing it, sure, is it something that is easily remedied and greatly increases your play, damn right. To say they are "just as good" is flat out incorrect.
    Extatica likes this.